|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Mobil 1 vs. AMSoil

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Juggler

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/02 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Mobil 1 for the simple fact, I can't find Amsoil to buy! *Yes* I've been told you have to buy it from a dealer... I'd like to know why it can't be sold over the counter. I learned my lesson with "mail order", those were the worst fitting dentures I ever owned. I'll stick with oil I can buy at the store. [emoticon]

Don

Peralta, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/02 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sell and use Amsoil in my shop.I also have it available on our website. Very satisfied with the product.
As far as cost, 100,000 or more coach, 5.00 oil
My feeling has always been "oil is cheap, engines ain't"

98 Conquest ultra 31' (C)
2000 Dodge Dakota quad in tow
http://www.perpow.com

BurmaShave

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/02 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you extend your drain interval, you may risk warranty problems, if still under warranty.

dogpup

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/02 03:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Jay,
If you extend your drain you should do oil sample program and get report to say oil is still good no warrenty problems.

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/02 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Under the warranty, the car or truck maker would have to prove that your oil and extended drain interval caused the damage. If they could do so, Amsoil's warranty will pay for the repair.
http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.htm

Ken

CJRVr

Placentia, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/02 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was a NEO oil dealer for a while. Another synthetic oil manufactured in Long Beach CA. All synthetics are good, the airforce started using it when jet engines were invented.
I understand Amsoil went through a formula change some years back and it's not as good as when it first came out. May have been NEO propaganda though.
Mobile 1 has been around for a long time and I have never heard anything bad, only good things about synthetics. Long life, low/no wear, and longer change intervals. I use synthetic in anything I plan to keep and use for a long time.
Part of the issue is the base stock the oil is made of, Di-esters, etc. All are good, but some are better. Mobil 1 always ranks right up there. Redline is also good. I have heard some of the standards for claims of synthetic content were relaxed. There was a recent controversy over Castrol using a questionable base for their Syntec.
You can probably find some independent research for performance specs under different kinds of load testing. Intersting comparison with petroleum based oils. They're just not the same.
In a diesel engine, synthetic will provide virtually no wear protection. Gas engines too, but valves eventually wear out as do other components of the motor.
The bypass filter allows virtually non-replacement performance over the life of an engine. Just change the filters, replace what's lost, and do oil test samples with a test lab every few thousand miles.
The big deisels with 15-25 quarts of oil are rather expensive to switch over.
Synthetic ATF will allow a tranny to run 10-30% cooler.
All of this adds up to better performance and longevity in motorhomes, if you're going to drive them that far....

Chris Brown
Orange County, CA
78 Georgie Boy

Maddog59

Portland, OR USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/02 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are two web sites, which may help Rv’ers decide on whether or not to switch to synthetic motor oil and which oil may best suit your needs. The first is http://www.trawlerworld.com/c_qu_2000_12_4.htm; I really like this site and capnwil’s information and test results. The other www.motoroilbible.com I am less enthusiastic about, because the author (Kaufman) also sells Amsoil. The information Kaufman provides in his book is very good and as far as I can tell the oil information is reliable. There is always the chance he is biased by his relation with Amsoil. I purchased the book and received a discount voucher that anyone can use for $2.00 off the $9.00 book purchase. Use voucher #312681000, and no, I do not receive remuneration from Kaufman.

1983 Sportscoach III (the Ski Haus - snow and water), 454 c.u., turbo 400, Thorley 303y, K&N filters, Air Lift air springs (w/ auto inflator), Mor-Ryde tag axle, front & rear receiver hitches with Thule ski rack and storage pod on rear receiver (I am proud of this design, ask if you want info or plans).

JackD

Montreal, Qc,Canada (when not on the road)

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/02 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a single engine and transmission manufacturer promote/accept extended oil replacement intervals with synthetic oil as compared to mineral oil.
That says a lot about this their assessment of the longevity/advantages of synthetic oils.
But, sure, some owners here know better.... after all, all engine/transmission manufacturers are ignorant, incompetent and are not concerned with the safeguard of their millions of dollars invested in engine development and testing programs.
JackD

Florida Cracker

Titusville FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/02 02:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just picked up my new Honda CRV toad this morning and the book clearly states that you can use synthetic oil as long as it meets all the specs of the recommended oil but that you must still change the oil at the recommended intervals.

Mr. Gadget

Toledo Bend, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/02 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When people start talking about rather synthetic's are worth it or not they always seem to bring up extended drain intervals. Really this is a completely separate issue. Don't let Jack D's negetive spin confuse the issue.

First of all, if I were an engine builder or auto manufacture, I wouldn't recomend extended drain intervals either. Why, that's because the cars and trucks we buy today aren't set up for it. ALL oil gets dirty. Dino or synthetic. Just switching to synthetic alone won't allow you to extend your drain interval. You first have to enhance your filtration with a by-pass filter system. And there is where people get confused on this issue Because with better filtration and cleaner oil even dino oil will run much, much longer than 3,000 miles. The real argument is rather it will last as long as synthetics. Most agree it won't nor will it provide the same level of protection.

But back to extended drains, another reason I wouldn't recomend it from the factory is because if your going to do this, then you'll need to sample your oil by sending it to a lab to be analyzed. That takes all the guess work out of the equation. And all the negative hype from people like good ol Jack won't hold a drop of water. You'll be holding factual data in your hand telling you rather you oil is ready to be changed or not. But the fact of the matter is that the car manufactures know that most people won't go to this much trouble. And their right. So they say change the oil every 3,000 miles for sever duty and every 5,000 miles for regular duty. And their right, your engine will have a long life.

On the other hand, Hotard bus company in Baton Rouge, La. runs synthetics and extended drain intervals in their entire fleet of busses by doing just what I described above. By-pass filter systems and oil analysts. They put 80,000 per yr on these busses doing just this and have also seen a fuel mileage increase. They say they also save money in oil disposal and man hours.

But of course their idiots though aren't they Jack!

*This Message was edited on 17-Mar-02 09:28 AM by Mr. Gadget*

2001 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab, PSD 4x4
2001 Holiday Rambler 26 RKS
2000 V-10 Excursion

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Mobil 1 vs. AMSoil
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.