|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Mobil 1 vs. AMSoil

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/02 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most brands of synthetic oil do not recommend extending the oil change interval. The oils certainly are good for the full interval shown in the owner's manual.

I've found four brands of synthetic oil that do recommend extended change interval--NEO, RedLine, Synlube, and Amsoil, and Amsoil is the only one I've found with their own warranty to back up the manufacturer's warranty in case of engine damage.

Ken

JackD

Montreal, Qc,Canada (when not on the road)

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/02 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think MrGadget outsmarts a lot of engine manufacturers engineers. To prove your point does not hold water in real life, just try and install double (or triple is you wish) filtration on a Ford, GM, Detroit diesel, Cumming or any other engine and try to have a serious engine problem covered under warranty by trying to explain you do not beleive in ''as prescribed'' oil change interval.To reinforce your point, you may want to tell the service manager that you had the oil analysed by a lab, and that the Mississipi Bus company does it to save labour costs. I don't think you will get very far with those arguements.
JackD

gmachine

Marion,IN & Chuluota,FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/02 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeez! You synoil guys need to get a life!
Of course synthetic oil(with correct additive package) is superior. Is it cost effective? NO!
If extended change intervals void warranties, what makes anyone think all parameters magically change the day the warranty expires? Change oil yourself and don't sweat the small s**t.
Jim (63yrs. old & still change my own oil)

Bering MD23(Cummins ISB)w/60" flattop Kenworth sleeper & 2005 Excel 35MKO Limited, 2006 Scion XA.

Mr. Gadget

Toledo Bend, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/02 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to dieselsite.com and contact Bob Riley. He had an injector go out on his Powerstoke diesel. Told the service manager that he had 30 or 40K (I don't really remember which) on his oil and didn't want to drain it. But, when the o-ring went out it dumped raw diesel in the pan so the oil was ruined. The only reason he didn't want to change it was to prove just how long he could run by using by-pass filtration. And guess what, Ford repaired the truck under warrenty. (He also has the documentation to prove this)

As for the bus company, first of all, at 80,000 miles per bus per year, don't you figure they are long out of warrenty! And since warrenty is your entire argument here, what about the fact that the practice is working? Just how do you explain that?

And by the way, Baton Rouge is in Louisiana. After you bone up on oil you might try map reading.

Don

Peralta, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/02 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ignore previous post, brain cramp.

*This Message was edited on 17-Mar-02 08:57 PM by Don*

gmachine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/02 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Gadget,
The Internet is wonderful. You can RENT a tiny storefront with a web site & no shop facilities and claim to be an expert on anything.
Chevron,Shell,etc. don't have any fake "dealer" salesmen rackets. Maybe thats why their products are cheaper? Tankers aren't the only "oil slickers".
Jim

JackD

Montreal, Qc,Canada (when not on the road)

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/02 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mrgadget. I'll leave you the final word on this arguement. You win, on all counts.... Final score..... you name it.
By the way, I know Baton Rouge is in Louisina, Sorry for MY mistake. I had the real pleasure of visiting your state on several occasions and loved every moment of it.
JackD

Mr. Gadget

Toledo Bend, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/02 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jack,
I actually agree with you mostly. Syn oil and extended drains aren't for everyone. And I agree that your engine will last a long life on dino oil and 3,000 mile changes. The only difference (I think) is that you say that people are wrong to do anything other than dino oil and 3,000 mile changes where I say there are other options, you just have to really be aware of what your doing and there are risks if you do it wrong. But I know for a fact it is working for many people and there are rewards. And for the record, I won't do anything over 8 to 10K miles and that's with an Oilguard by-pass filter. That off sets my cost and the high dollar synthetic oil don't cost me any extra. Plus I get the benefits of synthetic, I'm not under my truck every 3,000 miles and it's working.

Glad you've been to Louisiana. If you went to the Southern parts you probably found a lot in common with the French culture. Lafayette's one of my favorite areas. Great food.

Gmachine, your 100% right. Anybody can claim anything on the internet. I think I know this guy but hey, ya never know. I did have a private individual (not selling anything) send me a picture of his powerstroke diesel with the valve covers off. The truck had 250K miles with 20K oil changes using a by-pass filter and Redline syn oil. It was spotless. The pic was taken while doing some injector work. Could have been bogus but I was impressed.

Good day guys

gmachine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/02 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, whatever works for ya. One thing about dino oil, recyclable. I run 1 or 2 gal. of drained oil per 100 gal. fill up(per Cummins). Get about 25% of oil cost back & lubes inj. pump. Hope to see your state soon too.
Good luck, Jim

glasair

Pleasant Grove, UT.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/02 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CJRVr; "In a diesel engine, synthetic will provide virtually no wear protection. Gas engines too" Is this a typo???? I thought the reason for syn oils was for wear protection especially on start-up.

Tradewinds 1998, Cat 3126 300 HP

Ron

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Mobil 1 vs. AMSoil
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.