|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Trickle charger on batterys In my motor home

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/05 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't doubt it is doing what you say, it is just the first time I have heard of it. But one thing I have seen with RV's is they get built a huge variety of ways, and then modified many more.

I would not doubt the word of another Corvette owner [emoticon] - my question is how it charges both and if there are stock RV setups that do this. There are already posts in Tech Issues showing how one could tweak the isolator to accomplish it.

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/05 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK the tech guys came thru. The reverse charging from the house battery to the chassis is the tip off. A few MH owners are lucky enough to have a Bidirectional Isolater Relay (Delay) - BIRD. It allows the batteries to be paralleled intelligently. For example when either side is charging it connects them. If one side is deep discharging it will disconnect the other after a minute so as not to drain both. It will intelligently connect one or two when charging from the engine alternaotr to balance the load.

I want one!

B.I.R.D.

Jim

B-Plus

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/05 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hitec, I just went out to my Rv and tried something, If I turn off my Coach Intelllitec power switch to off ( amber lite off ) than my chassis battery stops charging but my coach battery keeps charging. So you are correct in saying that if I were to lose 120v than I would probably have a dead battery.

2003 6.0 Chev Trail-lite B-Plus 225
2007 6.0 Chev 170 Roadtrek ( Daily Driver )
1976 Corvette

Big Redneck

Waynesburg,Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/05 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dario wrote:

Hitec, I just went out to my Rv and tried something, If I turn off my Coach Intelllitec power switch to off ( amber lite off ) than my chassis battery stops charging but my coach battery keeps charging. So you are correct in saying that if I were to lose 120v than I would probably have a dead battery.
I feel sure that all system In dofferent motor homes are different.The relay that goes from the batterys up front to the rear has have a certain amount of current to send current to the battery In the rear.

We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.

Jim P

Sun City West, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/05 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a stock alternator there are diodes that allow current to flow to the chassis battery (plus a voltage regulator) when the engine is running. If I was designing a charging system to charge two separate batteries and not allow either to discharge the other I would add isolator diode(s) to charge the second (coach) battery. These isolator diodes would not allow both chassis battery and coach battery to charge from the same charger as they would be reverse biased whether you had the charger connected to the coach battery or to the chassis battery. In this case you would have to have a charger for each battery in order to maintain both batteries at full charge.

I had a Safari Class A that allowed me to directly connect the coach battery to the chassis battery by a relay operated by a "dashboard switch" for starting purposes only. It was not a smart relay.

Jim P

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/05 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The smart relay with delay is nice in that it would allow for jump starting either direction automatically without resorting to the manual switch. It also can keep you from over stressing the alternator when both batteries are down by charging one until the current is reduced a bit, then adding in the other.

Very slick and well thought out IMO.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Trickle charger on batterys In my motor home
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.