|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Buying used Class C

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/05 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HiTech wrote:

Ahh got it - $500 carb only. Agreed.

Uh, huh. I've seen prices posted in these very forums on the 2.8 & 4.0 gas Onan carb replacement, including labor (we have no idea of what level of DIY skills the OP has) of from $300 to $600. The newer ones are not rebuildable, according to Onan. I've been able to cure my inherited problems with Techron, my own semi-skilled labor, and a bit of patience... so far.

I've not seen a price posted on adding or replacing a 4.0, but IIRC, the 2.8 used in most B's is about $2500-$3500, depending on what it's going into and how much shopping & labor the owner does.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/05 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally would not buy a rental or any high milage rig. Figure 120k the rig is pretty tired. So figure how long do want to keep it and how far wiil you drive it each year.

Bethers

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/05 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't agree about buying from a dealer - in my search last winter, the dealers had the rigs that were the most tired. The people who had meticulously kept their rigs didn't trade them in but sold them outright.

I found much better vehicles from private owners. That said - make sure you check everything.

Loving the rv lifestyle!
Beth

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/05 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thing to add... Especially for a first-timer, a full set of manuals is a real treasure. There's typically a packet: a pretty generic RV builder's manual that covers plumbing, electrical (very basics), and any 'convertible' furniture; and a whole slew of manuals from the makers of all the instaklled wequipment and appliances, like the converter, reefer, and generator; and the owner's manual from the chassis builder.

Otherwise, you'd face hours of work and some minimal cost researching what you've got and requesting manuals from the makers, if they're even available.

Jim, "You're not the boss of me... my cat is!"

CraneMan

Plainfield, Ill, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/05 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bethers wrote:

I don't agree about buying from a dealer - in my search last winter, the dealers had the rigs that were the most tired. The people who had meticulously kept their rigs didn't trade them in but sold them outright.

I found much better vehicles from private owners. That said - make sure you check everything.

I should have come down by you. I looked at a LOT of private owners and found only liars that think their beater RV or Driveway Queen is made of gold........

2003 Sea Breeze LX 8311

Bethers

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/05 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly, I didn't buy from WI (where I was at the time) as most of the rv's there I looked at were used for hunting groups and abused. But I found my rv through ads in rv.net and actually purchased from someone in southern IL. I also would have purchased from one of the people in Maryland - if they would have come down in price. Now, from what I've just said - you can see I couldn't limit myself to local rv's - which made the task of finding one more difficult - but I also had figured out almost exactly what I wanted - and needed to look nationally to find a used with my criteria.

I can only say - I went to ALL the local rv dealers in Northern IL and southern WI - and found a lot of rv's that needed a lot of work. Those that seemed in good repair - were priced higher than their value. I'm sure others have had better dealings with rv dealers than I did - mine were not so good and because I knew the rv would not be housed near where I was then living - service wasn't a reason to purchase from a local dealer, either.

CraneMan

Plainfield, Ill, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/05 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won't be limited locally either. Through the power of the Internet I'll find exactly what I want, for what I feel is a fair price and when I'm ready. I found and purchased my boat in Atlanta. At the time there were only a handful in the country but I got the exact model, optioned as I would have ordered it new, and for a good price.

Bethers

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/05 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly - it took me 3 months after I knew just what I wanted, but I got exactly what I wanted at the price I was willing to pay. I wish you the best of luck in your search and that the one you purchase is as good to you as mine has been.

Amberbunny

newport news

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/06 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Understood everything has a lifespan. That said, my 20 year old coach with 40K miles is as close to perfect as You can get. Everything works, all the time. No leaks, no rot, and AC and fridge run ice cold. Sure I realize the fridge and AC will eventually quit but for what I paid (9K), with all new fluids and rubber (tires belts batteries hoses and brakes). I keep the oil clean and fresh along with the fuel, use Marvel Mystery Oil in both regularly as I do in my cars. I keep my cars until dead . . .18 year old Jeep currently, fixing up a 32 year old VW Bug now. I use MMO in all of them all the time. Sure seems to make them all run so much smoother and cleaner. I guess I will know in another 18 years if I was doing something good or bad.

\Documents and Settings\stephen.kunich\Desktop

greg0rn

Republic of Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/06 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our 24' with 6000 miles when it was one year old. It was a private deal, after a long search. It looked brand new and that look convinced us to buy (after visual inspection, test driving and components testing). Three years and 20,000 miles later our Bigfoot still looks and feels like brand new. Everything works 100%. The motorhome had only one problem (just one week ago, and out of warranty) - coil #8 delivering spark to the plug had to be replaced. Ford dealer charged us $270 for it. I checked on this forum and it seemed to be right price for the reeplacement.

We checked many dealers at that time and did not like what we saw, or did not like the price. The dealers had lots of rental units, but we did not trust them. So we advertised in several areas, and we also spent some time driving around and staying overnight untill we found what we wanted. Perhaps it was luck, but most likely our hard work that helped us to fing the Bigfoot in the right shape and price.

Greg, Shirley, Misha (the dog)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Buying used Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.