|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How hard is it to change shocks on an E-350

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gixxer340

Attleboro, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/06 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the info. It sounds like it will be challenging but doable.

BTW: Does it ruin the new shock if you turn the top when you install it?

Thx again
Jeff

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1998 Jamboree 24D
E-350 V10

Bill Hamilton

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/06 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No.

2006 Safari Simba
Gone 2005 31W Fleetwod Tioga SL - Not my problem anymore!
1996 Jeep Cherokee Toad

TJP

Brea Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/06 10:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading these forums I was also hesitant to tackle the drivers side. But I'm stubborn so I jacked up the coach and dug in, figuring to spend hours like some suggested. All I had to do is use a stubby box wrench (5 inches long) to get to the top nut. It took longer to jack up the motorhome,get out the tools, take off the tires and clean up then it took to change the shock. Good luck and remember to use a VERY strong jack stand in addition to your floor jack. SAFETY FIRST.

K3BH

Slower Lower Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/06 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang! I paid good bucks to have someone do the front shocks because they were supposed to be so horrible to do. Live & learn.

My rear Bilsteins didn't have any retaining strap to keep them compressed. THAT was a fun time!

Jay

Jay, Susan, 2 cats in Bigfoot 29G 6.0L PSD. Toad Saturn Ion. SMI-Brake Silent Partner Stay-in-Play. Demco baseplate & tow bar.

bnbinc4

pennsauken new jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/06 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

after struggling with mine i pulled out the sawzall and removed them in seconds.

1999 tioga 29z quad bunks

SONNY2

WARREN GROVE, N.J. U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/06 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2004 chev. MH class c; They tell me it's a G3500 chassie. I want to have camping world put on 4 new belstein schocks. They called belstein and were told they do not make schocks for this MH. Seems they stopped at 2003 or 2. Has anyone else out there have some information on this? Maybe it would not make and change in my ride, but those seams across the turnpike's are awful.
SONNY2.

MAURICE H. TISSIERE

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed mine myself with no help and it is a challenge, I started after work one day and ended up working by flashlight to finish.

I also did not jack up the motorhome or remove any tires. For that difficult to reach drivers side shock top mount nut, I put the wrench on the nut and wire tied it to the steering box to hold it, then turned the body of the shock from the bottom to loosen it. The hard part was getting that nut back on as the speedometer cable layed right on top of it and couldn't be pryed out of the way.

Good luck.

Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

Scout387

Denver, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/06 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rear shocks (on a Ford, anyway) are a breeze. Anyone can do it. I did the fronts once. Never again. I just know that the engineer at Ford sits around chuckling fiendishly every time he imagines anyone changing the front shocks on an E350. Last time I paid two professionals to do the fronts. It took two men two hours to do it. It was worth what I paid them to do it. I even learned some new words while watching them....

pickerelguy

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/07 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard good things about the bilstein shocks. Are they important to put all the way around or on the front. I have a 2000 tioga with 60k miles and all original stuff. I dont notice any big problems but it sounds like driving will be better.
Jim

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/07 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Bilsteins are so nice that I would remove the factory shocks right away(even new) an install them. I second the Sawzall suggestion to get the old shocks off-saves alot of time. For the front left shock if you buy a Flex head gear wrench it is much easier. It is just a gear wrench with a joint like your wrist below the head. Im sure you can get them at Snap-On but other places have them now. Do use jack stands but an added safety measure is roll the wheel you just removed and slide it under the front suspension. I know someone who's life was saved by this little trick when his jack failed.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How hard is it to change shocks on an E-350
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.