|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford F- 250 Towing Capacity

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/06 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Concretecamper wrote:

First....3 valve motor vs. 2 valve motor
Second...5 speed auto vs. 4 speed auto

Looks like a math thing, not a marketing thing.

More power+ more gears= higher tow rating. Seems pretty simple.

concretecamper

Macungie, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/06 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

Looks like a math thing, not a marketing thing.

More power+ more gears= higher tow rating. Seems pretty simple.

Yeah...simple is better. Complicating things just makes them more...shall we say complicated!

Mike
2004 Excursion Limited 4x4
6.8 V-10, 3.73
2003 Outback 28BH-S

Zeppi-popout

LIQUID

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Zeppi-popout wrote:

hendersonb wrote:

I own a 2003 F-250 4x2 with 5.4L V8 and 4.2 Axle Ratio. According to my manual my MAX towing capacity is 9000 lbs.

According to the Ford web site the 2006 F-250 with same engine and axle as my vehicle has tow rating of 11600 lbs.

Was the tow rating of my vehicle underrated by Ford?

If not, what has changed on the newer Ford trucks that would account for the increase in towing capacity?

Thanks,

Robert

What are you planning on towing?? I am looking at a 03 F250 CC 2wd 5.4 and a Keystone 290EFS, it has a dry weight of 7850 and gvwr of 10,180. I'm not sure if it has the 4.11 gear though. The 3.73 has the 9000lb rating, if your has the 4.11 it has the 11600 rating.

What are your thoughts on a combination like this? If the F250 has the 4.11 gears? Are the weights to close?

PSDExcursion

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bownder will wrote:

They up the capacities to fit the trend of Bigger TT's and 5ers.....
It's all about money, not safety.....

A safe veh. to pull a 30-40 TT or 5er is an F-500, or a Kenworth, Peterbuilt, Freightline, not a pickup truck. But they sell more pickup trucks because that is what we can afford to buy to pull what ever they build to pull behind it.....

Bill

I guess I better get this to tow my 41 ft TT.[emoticon]

2002 Chevy Express 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van
41 Ft 2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR TT w/ Hensley Arrow

Cricketts

Tacoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/06 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hendersonb

there are variables in the tow ratings based on what truck configuration you have, i.e. regular cab, Super or crew and 2X vs. 4X. I have the correct information unlike a an individual that endlessly provides in-accurate biased information and does not own a Ford to-boot.

Cricketts

1999 F250 V10, auto, Short box S/C, 4.30 LS grs
2001 Prowler 27F 29ft 12ft push out
Reese HP Dual CAM, Prodigy
">

k9jadon

La Mesa, CA (Near San Diego)

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/06 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Snoman wrote:

You give detriot far more credit than they deserve for honesty on this subject.

Not really...just a lot more credibility than YOUR opinion. Nothing personal....I just choose to believe that their engineers know more than you.

I would have to agree with concretecamper on this. In CA with any fatal accident the CHP dispatches a specially trained group of Officers to the accident scene to investigate everything that happened/went wrong. Can you imagine the liability if it was proven in a court that Ford Chevy or Dodge inflated their tow ratings for sales purposes and it resulted in a fatal or even a serious accident? We all saw the NBC report where they had a car t-bone a truck and it burst into flames... we now know NBC faked that but imagine if NBC or any media outlet had REAL evidence of detroit overinflating tow ratings for sales and it caused accidents.

k9jadon

La Mesa, CA (Near San Diego)

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it would be a case by case issue but if you could prove that a manufacturer inflated their numbers to copete with the others and this lead to the collision, wouldn't that make the manufacturer very liable for what happened... yes it would and this is why I tend to beleive that the numbers are all pretty close to where they need to be. If anything I think they under represent the numbers to give us a safety/buffer zone. Besides if the manufacturers numbers cannot be accepted then where do we the consumers go to find out how much we can safely pull.

John Frankenprutch

Central CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love reading how some of you think Ford inflates the tow capabilites just for sales. I highly doubt any major auto maker is going to knowingly inflate the numbers on something as serious as (example) inflating the tow capacity from 7,000 lbs to 11,000 just to outdo the other auto makers. So, unless any of you saying this are the person at Ford (or any other auto maker) making the decision to inflate the number, all of this is a bunch of bull, huh?

ib516

Canada - soon to be Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

k9jadon wrote:

...In CA with any fatal accident the CHP dispatches a specially trained group of Officers to the accident scene to investigate everything that happened/went wrong. Can you imagine the liability if it was proven in a court that Ford Chevy or Dodge inflated their tow ratings for sales purposes and it resulted in a fatal or even a serious accident? We all saw the NBC report where they had a car t-bone a truck and it burst into flames... we now know NBC faked that but imagine if NBC or any media outlet had REAL evidence of detroit overinflating tow ratings for sales and it caused accidents.

This is standard procedure in almost any jurisdiction. What you described in the first sentence is my job description. Weighing the vehicles is one of the standard steps in any investigation I do. Not necessarily for checking to see if the combo is overweight (which is a side benefit), but more specifically for momentum calculations in a 2+ vehicle collision. If a vehicle was grossly overloaded it would certainly be discovered. Whether or not it caused or contributed to the collision would be a case by case issue.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford F- 250 Towing Capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS