|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Our Kuvasz has bone cancer - the last update

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Next
Sponsored By:
sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/06 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chaos, our Kuvasz, was diagnosed with bone cancer today.

He's 9 1/2 years old and very fit otherwise, so this is a shocker, to say the least. The tumor is in his right femur. It can't be felt yet, but the vet thought this was because his legs are so muscular ... she simply couldn't feel through the muscle. Unfortunately, it's also those wonderful muscles that are causing most of his pain ... the tumor is pressing against the muscle.

He's been limping for a few weeks now. The limp started at the same time he had a little accident on one of his hikes with DH, so we thought it might be a strained ligament at first. But it didn't improve. Then I thought maybe it was arthritis, but there was no improvement with aspirin.

Today he had x-rays and the tumor is clearly visable. We've been told he might have two weeks or two months, but likely no longer than that. Due to his age and size, we're choosing to not amputate and pursue chemotherapy.

Instead we have a strong painkiller (Deramaxx) and we'll see how that goes. He's still very happy, very busy protecting the property, and eating very well. We're the sad ones now ...

When the pain is too much and he's not so happy, we'll have him put down. Not an easy decision for us but one that will be best for him.

DH is very upset tonight. These two have been best buds, hiking every weekend, two walks every weekday, and camping (see the link for pics from a recent camping trip). It's going to be a tough time for a while ... very VERY tough. I'm just feeling sad and sorry for us right now ...

* This post was last edited 08/22/06 07:04pm by sue.t *   View edit history

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

kokosfriend

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/06 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have my sympathy and empathy. We lost a beloved 12 year old Lab to bone cancer. There was also nothing we could do except keep her comfortable until the time was right. Bless you for your kindness to your companion and for his wonderful life.
Barb

Barb and the 4 chocolates

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/06 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm really sorry about your dog. What bad news you received. My prayers are with you and your family.

* This post was edited 01/20/06 08:02pm by Happytraveler *

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Camelot Mike

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/06 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He's a good looking boy, I'm so sorry.

Mike, Wendy, and our mongrels, Nellie, Sarah, and Tristan.
2005 Monaco Camelot 38 PDQ, 400 Cummins ISL, 6 speed Allison.
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 6 speed.

corgihauler

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/06 12:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sad news. My prayers to your family that the physical pain is minimal and the emotional pain is soothed by all the wonderful happy memories the three of you made together and will continue to make in your time left together.

Jan

Buzz-ette

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/06 12:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sue.t, I am so sorry to hear your news. What a beautiful boy he is! You are all in our prayers.

1980 Dodge Xplorer
Pixie Honeybun (Rat Terrier) and Itsa (kitty)

LeroyR

New Hampshire (Southern)

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/06 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a beautiful dog!

Did your vet mention anything about peroxicam (sp?) ? When our Suzie had bladder cancer, we didn't go with chemo either. They had found that peroxicam (used for arthritis) was very effective against this type of cancer (a nasty, quick spreading one). She lived two more years. I know there are different types of cancers, but if it somehow had a chance of helping .... Just thought I would throw it out there.

Leroy, Leona, Leroy Jr.
Our Westie(s) - Bark Lee (Buddy) and Wuzzy Bear.
G. Schnauzer/English Pointer mix - Teddy Bear
'06 301BHD F R Sandpiper
'06 Silverado 2500HD LT3 D/A CC SWB
'06 Trailblazer SS

chemisd

Lancaster, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/06 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sue, I am so sorry to hear about Chaos. I have seen his picture on here before and he is a great looking dog. If it is any comfort, a friend of mine had a very large male golden retriever with bone cancer. He had a tumor that eventually grew to the size of a baseball. Not nice to look at, and certainly changed what he did - no walks, playing in the fields etc., but he didn't seem in pain. It obviously didn't change the end result, but by the time they had to make that decision, the family had had time to grieve and prepare, so it was an easier decision. I will pray for you and your husband, and of course, Chaos.
Jana

Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Hoops

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/06 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So sorry, I know how hard this is for you all. Been there. Our Prayers are with you and for Chaos to spend the rest of his time here in comfort and painless.

Becky

* This post was edited 01/21/06 05:05pm by Hoops *

The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

JanLiz

Villas, Cape May County, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/06 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. We were devastated when we learned our newfie Sere had osteosarcoma. We did the amputation and chemo and she had another eighteen months of a great life. We bought the motorhome so we could take her with us and she loved every minute of traveling. Best wishes at this tough time, you have a beautiful boy there.

Jan & Liz
2005 FW Expedition 38N Cat 300
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
The Great Outdoors, Titusville, FL
Villas, Cape May County, NJ
Rupinski Blog

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Our Kuvasz has bone cancer - the last update
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.