Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Cardinal vs Cedar Creek

Posted By: MrPlow on 01/28/06 09:29pm

We are moments away from buying either a Cardinal 362BH or a Cedar Creek 362TBS. In my opinion it appears the Cardinal is manufactured alot better than the Cedar Creek. I mean the cardinal has the undercarriage complete enclosed in where as the CC does not, as well the Cardinal has alot more storage space compared to the CC. The cardinal has an extra 1000 lbs storage capacity than the CC. the couple of things i do not like about the cardinal is the back end ..it is really plain and ugly and the small windows as well. the Cedar Creek has gotta have the nicest extorior around but lacks in storage and workmanship.
I am new to fivers and would value any opinion you can provide about which one to buy.

thanks

Posted By: ACZL on 01/28/06 10:16pm

We too looked at Cardinal and CC's before we signed on the bottom line. For us, it depends on what you consider to be your likes and dislikes. For us, the CC blew the Card. out of the water. Outside storage in the CC with a TOTALLY flat floor in basement compared to the raised floor in Card. Also storage compartments below bunkhouse, LR corner and below dinette, plus you still had the front compartment which itself is HUGE. Inside, there is the entire width of wardrobe, 3 OHC in bedroom & 4 drawers, linen in john. Kit and LR offers a vast amt. in Kit and 3 OHC above sofa. I admit the good for nothing cabinent below tv is a joke, but we found it to accomodate the odd ball stuff quite well. Pantry is suprisingly roomy. BH has a goodsized wardrobe, 4 drawers, 2 cabinents, tv shelf and 6 pigion holes. The bottom bunk on the Card sits on the floor, whereas the CC dosen't. The CC had more countertop space which the DW wanted. No other steps after the first 3 from LR to Bath/ BR to front of coach. The CC had more standard features than the Card we looked at.

Our 5er has an enclosd underbelly front to rear. CC probly is a bit heavier than a comaprible Card. CC uses a exterior fiberglass which I think is different than other mfrs. This may contribute to the smoothness and ease of towing. I'm quite sure other 5ers tow equally as well.

Have been VERY, VERY pleased with the layout, workmanship, quality of this coach. Can't speak for other FR divisions, but I feel the CC is near or the top of FR's line-up.

ACZL

* This post was edited 01/28/06 10:24pm by ACZL *

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Posted By: CardinalCamper on 01/29/06 05:44am

We looked at both the Cedar Creek and the Cardinal and liked the Cardinal better.On our 2nd Cardinal and happy have not had any major problems yet.

I guess it all boils down to what floorplan you like best but quality wise i see no difference from Cardinal or Cedar Creek. I feel they are both good campers.If you take care of either one they will last for many years.

I know people who fulltime in both some for years and they are still holding up well.

Charles & Dawn
2005 Cardinal 35 CKT LX
2000 F-250 PSD 7.3 4x4 Hypertech Power Programmer III, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Air Safe 25K Hitch,Yamaha 125cc Vino Scooter.

Posted By: CardinalCamper on 01/29/06 05:50am

JTMO wrote:

Either one. But all Cedar Creeks have enclosed underbellies, and full 6 side aluminum framing. Creeks are made in Indianna, Cardinal in Oregon?

My Cardinal was built in Elkhart Indiana

Posted By: jcsb on 01/28/06 10:17pm

If you check out some threads from the last 6 months or so you will find a lot of discussion. Generally they are twins, eg. ford/mercery model cars. One has wood studs the other metal. Things like that. As you can see we have the Cardnial. The dealer we used did not have CC and generally a FR dealer will have one or the other.

Find a dealer that has a great reputation for service and dealing and then find the floor plan that fits you. Most CC owner swear by a CC as most Cardinal owners swear by a Cardinal.

BTW we have the Rear Living with a large rear window and love it.

Jim Hunter

Posted By: JTMO on 01/28/06 10:28pm

Either one. But all Cedar Creeks have enclosed underbellies, and full 6 side aluminum framing. Creeks are made in Indianna, Cardinal in Oregon?

Cedar Creek 27LRLS 7359 dry with extensive options/7700+ loaded.
2003 Expedition 5.4 FX4 with factory Tow 3.73 Bilstein shocks. GCVWR 14500, Tow rating with no cargo 8650
Equalizer Hitch, Prodigy, Barker Electric jack. Coachnet ERS
Rallies=14
My travel albums

Posted By: thehelferfamily on 01/29/06 09:11am

We have a Cedar Creek 362BTS and LOVE it. We didn't check out the cardinal though so don't really have a comparison. We find that our Creek has tons of storage space and it's a GREAT layout for kids (we have 3 little ones) I think it really boils down to what you like. They are very similar so I don't think you can go wrong either way. Good luck with your decision and PM us if you have any questions about the 362BTS model [emoticon]

Heather

Don and Heather
3 beautiful girls
Bella the pudgy camping dog

Camping in a 2016 Fuzion 345
pulled by a 2008 Chevrolet 3500 diesel dually

Posted By: abbtkj on 01/29/06 10:11am

We compared CC and Cardinal as well and believe the Cardinal offers more for the buck. We went with the Cardinal 34TS and have no regrets.

2004 F 250 short box 6.8 V-10 W/Air Ride
2005 Cardinal 5th 3 slides
United States Marine Corps 1988-2006
Desert Storm, Panama, Somalia
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lareado
http://spaces.msn.com/ansondonna05

Posted By: MrPlow on 01/29/06 10:32am

I have to say i am very impressed with the feedback i have received from this. I can see we really can not go wrong with either the card or the cc and it really comes down to likes and dislikes.

The card has a power awning....any problems??

Posted By: maynard9089 on 01/29/06 10:37am

My dealer has started selling Cardinals and last night we were talking with him at a show. He has been happy with the quality so far since he took them on last fall. He sells Sunnybrook Titans and Mobile Suites as well and gears his inventory to the mid to higher range. He wanted a unit that was priced slightly less than his current inventory yet had comparable quality. No offense to anyone here but I have never been a fan of the CC's. I think the Cardinal is a much "classier" unit. One thing that the dealer pointed out that he reallylikes is the Card's enclosed belly is galvinized corrogated sheet metal rather than plastic like everyone else is using. It will add aome weight but is a nice touch. I would feel better running over a "road gator" knowing that I am better protected on the under-carriage.

2006 Sunnybrook Titan 31BWKS
2004 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC Duramax LLY/ Allison
Reese 16K Quik-Slide
Prodigy brake controller

Posted By: CardinalRule on 01/29/06 11:42am

JTMO wrote:

My Cardinal came standard with enclosed galvanized underbelly & I picked it up at the factory in Elkhart Indiana.

Dave

I RV, I Golf - Therefore I Am.

2016 Acura MDX (No More Truck "> )
Perminent on site 05 Cardinal 36TS

Posted By: duty calls on 01/29/06 11:51am

JTMO wrote:

lol. where does that come from? i keep reading that on this site. there is a forest river factory in oregon, but it is one of their lower models. the cardinal is made in indiana.

as to the trailers, my cardinal has been great. i have no experience with cedar creek but have heard good comments about them.

Posted By: JEBar on 01/29/06 06:04am

Ceder Creek took the design of its aluminum super structure from SunnyBrook which revolutionized the industry ... unfortunately, the rest of their construction (frame, suspension and such isn't quiet up to SB's specs ... all else being equal, between the Ceder Creek and the Cardinal I would lean towards a Cardinal ... between a Cardinal and a SunnyBrook, I'd leant towards the Sunny

Jim

'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Posted By: CC-skipjack on 01/29/06 06:53am

Not ALL CC's have enclosed under bellies. Thay may have them now but in 2000 when mine was built they didn't.

Charlie K
CC-skipjack

2000 Cedar Creek 30RL / 2001 GMC 2500HD

Posted By: ldcross on 06/21/06 09:21am

Congratulations on your new Cedar Creek. We have a 30RLBS 2004 CC and we love it and I am sure you will love yours. There are a lot of Creekers out there should you have any questions.

http://www.cedarcreekrvownersclub.com

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F

Posted By: snowidow on 06/21/06 09:21am

We have an 05 Cardinal 30TS and it was made in Indiana AND it has a place for a garbage can!

07 Chevy 2500HD D/A LBZ CC/LB 4x4 - Superchipped
05 Cardinal 30TS - Twin EU2000I Hondas
04 Yamaha Grizzly 660 - 04 Yahama Breeze 125
05 Yamaha YZ450 - 08 Yamaha Rhino 700 FI 4x4 Sport
2 Blond Girls (Labs)
His: 88 Hers: 24
Our Camping Fun Pix

Posted By: dickhix1 on 06/21/06 09:07am

Just purchased an 06 CC 30RKTS. Looked extensively at comparable (size and weight) Cardinals and found they appeared about equal in quality. Settled on the CC due to the floor plan the fact that the bedroom floor was flat (no raised platform around the bed). From appearances, I think whichever stikes your fancy the best will do just fine. Currently have (trading) an 06 Outback (Sidney) which did not make me a 'happy camper' from the outset.

Posted By: Debbie on 01/29/06 03:14pm

MrPlow wrote:

I have to say i am very impressed with the feedback i have received from this. I can see we really can not go wrong with either the card or the cc and it really comes down to likes and dislikes.

The card has a power awning....any problems??

We don't have the power awning, so I can't answer that question. We are on our second Cardinal, we just went bigger. We love ours and have no complains. I agree with what you said above, I don't think you can go wrong with either. At the time, when we purchased ours we liked the lighter colors that the cardinal offered, it seems more spacious. Also at that time it was a four season and the CC wasn't. I think that has changed. That was about all the difference there was at that time. It's like buying a chevy or GMAC truck. We haven't had any problems with ours except for tires and that problem was corrected. Deb

I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!

Posted By: Struttin on 01/29/06 07:02pm

We opted to go with the CC.just a personal preference, appearence, liking of the interior etc. Nothing against Cardinal. Just brought our 362BTS home 1/28/06 and are thrilled with everything so far. Even though we haven't spent a single night in it yet! Check out the new rig in the profile!

Posted By: danncas on 03/12/06 07:18am

abbtkj wrote:

We compared CC and Cardinal as well and believe the Cardinal offers more for the buck. We went with the Cardinal 34TS and have no regrets.

I am looking at this model today. I have a Rockwood and want to go bigger. My friend have a CC it very nice. I think the Cardinal is a little niceer. Wish me Luck.

Posted By: fgicinto on 03/12/06 08:03am

I am doing the same debate and I am leaning toward the Cedar Creek. They all now have enclosed underbellys and heated tanks are an option on both units. Cedar Creek has hung fiberglass walls and cardinal has vacuum bonded walls both are very good but hung glass has less seams for potential leaks in the future. Cedar Creek also has better insulation values and a better quality fiberglass(less fiber lines). I do like the CC construction better but I like Cardinal's exterior graphics better. Good Luck. I dont think you can go wrong with either one.

Me the wife and 2 kids (I am out numbered)
Get Busy Living or get Busy Dying (I am Busy Living)
2004 Chevy CC Diesel K2500 4x4
2007 Cedar Creek 33LBHTS

Posted By: cjtinkle on 03/12/06 11:01am

Wow I love our exterior paint job on our CedarCreek, I think it's one of the nicest out there!

Blog - Tinksquared

Posted By: King27 on 03/12/06 06:03pm

Both are nice. We were all set to order a Cedar Creek 36 RLTS until we took a look at Cardibal's new 34QS. While it's true that almost all have enclosed underbellys now, I don't believe anyone does it as well as Cardinal with their galvinized 4x8 sheetmetal panels. I saw a lot of manufactures using a one piece cardboard underbelly. We looked the market over, Sunnybrooks, HRs, HHIIs, Montanas, etc. It may very well not be the best, but the 34QS seemed to fit us best and it is now on order.

Best Regards, Ted

Best Regards, Ted

Posted By: desertrat-03 on 02/23/06 06:47pm

Hey There,
Question seems to be room,undercarrage ect vs rearend looks. We looked at both the CC and Cardinal. opted for the Cardinal,overall,for us it was the better rig. Good luck,Oh and ours was also built in Indiana,not Oregon.
See you down the rd.
Desertrat-03 and TPTK

Posted By: MrPlow on 02/19/06 10:30am

I everyone! Well we did it! we bought our first fiver. and it was the Cardinal. The interior in our opinion was better constructed. This trailer came with the "Trailerair" hitch. OH MY GOD. what a dream to pull. I hardly notice the trailer at all. Our roads really suck up here in Alberta due to constant freezing temps. so we get alot of cracks and frost heeves. it works so nicely i dont feel the trailer jump after going over tracks or anything. well worth the investment.

Thanks for everyones input.

Posted By: CardinalCamper on 02/19/06 10:52am

So you went with the Cardinal hope you have good luck with it!!

Did you get the 362BH Floorplan?

Posted By: donn0128 on 02/19/06 01:20pm

Basicall From what i have read, there are a lot of posts that might have a few mistakes in them. In 2005, the Cardinal standard construction was aluminum side walls, wood roof trusses. Aluminum was an option. The Cardinal we were interested in did not even have a place for a garbage can in the kitchen. That and the wood roof trusses is the reason we went to a Cedar Creek. Basicall they are almost the same trailers as far as interior appointments are concerned. So don't get too worked up about which one to choose. Pick the one that has the best dealer support and the floor plan you like the most.

Posted By: 78city on 03/21/06 09:34pm

If it is not too late you must consider the Cedar Creek 35L4QB. The floor plan is available on the Forestriver web page. It is awesome. This new Cedar Creek Silver Back has a much great GCWR. Cargo room for well over 3000lbs. The basement storage in the Cedar Creek is much nicer and taller. It is nice to have the taller storage for things like say a "beer fridge". I spent hours comparing this model to the Cardinal. This new Cedar Creek model was the clear winner. I noticed you are from Alberta. I ordered mine from Southside in Red Deer. (403-346-5577) If you are interested talk to Tim Vruwink and let him know Jason sent you. At any rate I would take a serious look. Good luck.

2011 GMC 3500HD SRW 4X4 Crew Cab Diesel
2009 Cedar Creek Silver Back 35L4QB

Posted By: 78city on 03/21/06 09:36pm

I guess I should have read all the posts prior to my last post. I see mrplow purchased a Cardinal. Happy RVing.

Posted By: danncas on 03/21/06 03:51pm

Cardnial 34TS. I went with the Cardnial. I like the qualtity of it all. This is my 2nd foreest River 5th wheel.

Posted By: bluenote on 06/24/06 08:14pm

Frank {:-{) wrote:

Of the the Forest River Inc. the Cardinal is the top of the line and the Cedar Creek is the second on the list.

This has not been true since FR quit making the Spinnaker line and bumped the Cedar Creek up a bit in amenities.

Posted By: marylandmark on 06/25/06 06:21am

That list is in alphabetical order...

Posted By: skipper on 06/23/06 08:39pm

MrPlow wrote:

We are moments away from buying either a Cardinal 362BH or a Cedar Creek 362TBS. In my opinion it appears the Cardinal is manufactured alot better than the Cedar Creek. I mean the cardinal has the undercarriage complete enclosed in where as the CC does not, as well the Cardinal has alot more storage space compared to the CC. The cardinal has an extra 1000 lbs storage capacity than the CC. the couple of things i do not like about the cardinal is the back end ..it is really plain and ugly and the small windows as well. the Cedar Creek has gotta have the nicest extorior around but lacks in storage and workmanship.
I am new to fivers and would value any opinion you can provide about which one to buy.

thanks
Do not get ether one ,get one that has all the features you require and be satisfied or you will be thinking I should have gotten the ''''' one it much better because of the '"""" and the ''''''' is better ,the guy down the street has a ''''' and likes it just fine. Skipper entry level over fifty years

99 DCTD 3500 5spd quad line-x Pac-brake. boost,egt,fuel gauges /26ft 95 American star 5thwheel w/1slide

Posted By: Frank {:-{) on 06/23/06 10:03pm

Of the the Forest River Inc. the Cardinal is the top of the line and the Cedar Creek is the second on the list.

{:-{)
2004 Ford F-350 6.0 PS, 4x4, Supercab, Short Bed
2005 Wildcat 29RLBS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K Quik Slide TrailAir King Pin
In Southeastern Virginia

Posted By: marylandmark on 06/22/06 07:43am

WOW. Sorry you are so upset with your unit! Go straight to Forest River to get help- I had an issues, emailed the Forest River Rep Bill- who is AWESOME and deserves a raise from Buffett- who emailed me back as well as the dealer which in turn got the proper attention to my issues that needed to be addressed.

I bought my Cardinal 37RL after looking at the CC 37RDQS.

Standard king bed, double fridge, dealer is an hour closer and seemed classier IMHO (brushed nickel fixtures vs. gold/fake brass, decora switches vs regular toggles, etc..)

Very large rear window, belly is metal, heated tanks, power awning with 0 problems and more. VERY HAPPY with my bird! (hope I am not jinksing myself saying so...)

I think all RV manufacturers have some quality issues and they should be shared so us RV'ers can get quality products instead of just dealing with what they put out.

My dealer called me twice over post in this site! (McGeorge's RV in Ashland, VA...)

Posted By: MrPlow on 06/22/06 08:12am

Thanks to all for your feedback. Of course my i wrote my last message i was on a little high because i just got back from dealing with my dealer (and i am starting to use that word loosely).

So i do apoligize if i made it sound really bad. I know its impossible to get a perfect unit and i never expected to get one, its much like building a house. there is bound to be issues, RIGHT !

I think finding another dealer to look after my service issues is a great idea. some are reluctant to take of the service if i did not buy from them.

Well anyways thanks all. I still enjoy the unit and the plus still outway the negative. i have to stop writing when i am upset.

happy rving....

Posted By: Greentow on 06/21/06 08:51pm

Strange that MRPlow is so adamantly against FR and Creeks/Cards. I and another 400 plus owners are very happy with ours(s). There are a couple of dis-satisfied owners, but I would put a 95% satisfied rate amongst the owners I know, and as I said, a few hundred. We're on our 2d one and , again, know several Creekers that are in their 2d Creek (upgrade, usually 33/34 to a 36. All service/repairs start with a quality dealer. If you don't have a "stand-up" dealer, it'll probably go downhill rapidly from there. I've had no problems with either dealer.
Lee

2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.

Posted By: MrPlow on 06/21/06 09:07pm

You know what. It could very well be the relationship between the dealer and the manufacturer, and they are making it sound like the manufacturer is the one with all the problems.

Posted By: bluenote on 06/21/06 09:22pm

We have had 2 items on the coach in our signature fixed under warranty and one thing I just took care of myself. All three of the problems were minor, relatively easy repairs. We have seasonal camped for two years, plus several individual weekends, so our systems have all received a good work-out. It sounds to me like you just got a lemon. Good luck on getting your issues with the coach resolved.

Posted By: DougnDawn on 06/21/06 09:26pm

Hi very satisfied 'Red Bird' owner here and yes I'm comvinced after reading this forum for along time that a lot of the problems are related to the dealership/manufacturing relationship. But, I might add that the manufacture gets blamed for a lot of things that my not be related to them at all, ie: it may the the quality of the items from a different manufacture such as Dometic, A&E, Suburban etc. and many times the Rigs manufacturer gets blamed for these also. I for one am very happy with my dealer who has fixed my few problems on time, the first time. Happy Camping to all. Doug

DougnDawn

Posted By: califasramsfan on 06/21/06 09:34pm

MrPlow wrote:

Hi Everyone !

Well its the original question man for this topic. so the question you dare ask is------ how do i like it?????? NOT !!!!!!! Way to many problems and just crappy workmanship, i was told the factory does not have any quality control, that would explain alot of the crap. I am very disappointed in Forest River. I would never get another Forest River product AGAIN not even if they gave it to me. It tows nice and all but my warranty list was 25 things and i was not even picky. Another dealership even told me straight out AFTER I BOUGHT that Forest River just does not give a******about there customers. It took me 4 months to get some parts, i could go on and on and on.

Bottom line, if anyone else is looking. DO NOT BUY FOREST RIVER. If you did and are happy, you are one of the lucky ones and i do mean ones.

Too bad. You sounded so happy with your earlier posts about the Cardinal. We just purchased our Cardinal in February and also had a few problems but they were all taken care of in a timely manner. But we had similar issues with two other RVs we purchased new from Layton and KZ/Sportsmen a few years ago. Both those manufactures had a standard two year warranty and we still had problems. Bottom line is all makes and models are going to have some problems. IMO the difference is the service after the sale. We get immediate service on our Cardinal and the dealer is able to get parts delivered within a week to ten days. Four months to get your parts? No wonder your so upset.[emoticon] You need to find another dealer to service your unit. And of course another dealer is going to say Forest River does not give a ****** about their customers.[emoticon]
I guess maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones you mentioned.
I can't leave without mentioning our service department. If your ever traveling through central California check out Toscano RV and ask for Ron in the service department. Great people just off of I-5 in Los Banos California.[emoticon]

califasramsfan
Central Calif.
05 Chevy 4X4 2500HD Duramax Crew
06 Cardinal 37RL, 5500 LP Onan Gen.
"Hotel California" Cardinal 37RL">

Posted By: MrPlow on 06/21/06 08:27pm

Hi Everyone !

Well its the original question man for this topic. so the question you dare ask is------ how do i like it?????? NOT !!!!!!! Way to many problems and just crappy workmanship, i was told the factory does not have any quality control, that would explain alot of the crap. I am very disappointed in Forest River. I would never get another Forest River product AGAIN not even if they gave it to me. It tows nice and all but my warranty list was 25 things and i was not even picky. Another dealership even told me straight out AFTER I BOUGHT that Forest River just does not give a******about there customers. It took me 4 months to get some parts, i could go on and on and on.

Bottom line, if anyone else is looking. DO NOT BUY FOREST RIVER. If you did and are happy, you are one of the lucky ones and i do mean ones.

Print  |  Close