|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Taking an older cat camping for the first time

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RVerDiane

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/06 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 3 cats, ages 16, 15, and 6. I have wondered about taking my eldest camping with me...not sure I'd want to start with all 3.

Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with introducing an older cat to camping?

thanks,

Diane

Diane
Madison, WI
'94 Horizon 21 1/2'
towing '04 Honda CRV

Pony Power

Silverdale, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/06 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well not that old. We took our cat the first time when he was around four. He whines for about the first hour of travel and then settles down for the day.
Doesn't matter how many days we travel it's always the same.
I guess he just has to get in his little protest.

2003 27rk Forest River Wildcat 5er
2002 F250 CC LB 4X4 Lariat
7.3 Powerstroke Auto, A Few Mods
EF2800i Yamaha Generator
17' Seaswirl Mercruiser

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/06 04:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our cat was ten when we first had to take him camping. He loved camping and learned to take walks on leashs. It took about three minutes for him to get used to the idea. We also tied him on a leash so he could sit out by the fire in his own chair with us. He was ready to go anytime he saw us taking things out to the trailer.
It will not be the same camping this year without him.

hawkhill

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/06 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really depends on the personality of the cat. My previous cat did not start camping until he was 8 years old. He adapted to it readily, but he was always an extremely laidback and easygoing cat. He always traveled well in the car in his crate anyway. We did spend a couple of weeks getting him acquainted with the rv. When we were at home during the weekend, I would spend a couple of hours out there with him just getting him used to the rv before we took him out on his first trip - staying out there a little longer each time until the rv was just like home for him.

2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/06 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

some get to like it some never will depends on your cat,biggest thing i would have a pet carryer with me just in case,you might need it while your driveing as the cat can get in the way of driveing,another thing is getting out when your comeing in and out,they can get scared, run out and be hard to catch,getting one used to a leash befor you go is another good idea if you plan on letting it out.

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

8fleetfeet

Marlboro, MA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/06 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we made our first cross country trip two years ago, we took our 18 year old indoor only cat with us. That was her first trip ever, except to the vets. Her health wasn't great at that time but that was our only option. She absolutely loved the trip and never once tried to get out of the camper. Her health even improved. Once we got back home, her health again deteriorated. My only regret was all the years we never took her with us.

Roger, Pat, Crystal Belle and Reggie (all happily retired)

BRAVE

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/06 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the best advice was to get your cat used to the RV before the trip. When we first got our RV, our dogs were a little afraid of the whole thing and they explored it with their tails between their legs. Now we live in it full-time, I don't think they remember what a house is like! Also, I brought our two old cats, 14 and 15, they adapted within one day. They both love the bedroom and they sleep by the windows all day and night. Then, we picked up a stray kitten in Scottsdale, AZ and she is all over the place. Her favorite places are the dash and under the sofa. So, as long as you give them a little while to get used to it, I believe that cats like to travel as much as we do.

Jack and Julee Meltzer
The RV Makeover Bible

kokosfriend

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/06 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we started one at age 12. He was a bit layed back as a cat. At first he was spooked, but quickly learned that he was going to like it. He was diabetic and needed 2 shots a day. It was either he spend a lot of time at the vet or we took him!! He rved for a couple of years before he developed a terminal cancer. He rode in the back of an extended cab pickup with 2 labradors!! It worked and he got a lot of extra attention before he had to leave us. We used catnip in his crate
Go for it
Barb

Barb and the 4 chocolates

mpj

Mid-Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/06 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with 2 cats, both age unknown as they are rescue cats. On their first trip, we left them in their carriers for the first part of the day. If the carriers were not messed in, we let them for the balance of the trip so they had the run of the rig. We usually put in 300-400 miles per day. We have found that they find their own "spot". By traveling in the rig, they have the option of using the litter when they need to, etc. We don't keep them in the cab of the pickup because we have the rest of our brood - 2 dogs - traveling there. Hope this helps.

mpj">

Amaruq

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/06 02:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started our first cat at age 13, we got a travel cage and placed her blanket in it. She did very well, she passed on last may, now we have a 7 month old that we will be taking camping along with our two Siberian Huskys. To get Mr. Nibbs used to traveling we take him everywhere we take the dogs, yes even to the grocery store. Now he loves to ride in the car, although, he thinks he's a dog. I think he should do well camping.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Taking an older cat camping for the first time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.