|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Superhitch Receiver and Torklifts on 06 Ram 3500

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
kwinterb

Pensacola, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted some if this info in a previous thread, but thought I would make an independent thread for this in case anyone else is planning it in the near future.

I went with Torklift’s Tiedown system and Superhitch for my setup. I think the Superhitch integrated in with the factory receiver is pretty sharp looking.

Superhitch Instructions

For my setup, I ordered the following items from Camping World. At the time when I ordered, I had it all shipped to me for $1.00. I think somebody there screwed up and they finally realized it as I was checking today and see there are additional shipping charges for this stuff now. Prices were based on President Club pricing. Total for everything with taxes and $1 shipping was $1160.07.
FRONT TIE DOWNS (27762) Qty : 1 @ $179.00 (TL# D2101)
REAR TIE DOWNS (300 TO103213) Qty : 1 @ $151.20 (TL# C3201)
SUPERHITCH DGE 03-05 (28719) Qty : 1 @ $399.00 (TL# D1102)
48" EXTENSION (28727) Qty : 1 @ $349.00 (TL# E1548)

On a separate order, I bought the Fastguns:
FASTGUNS TIE DOWNS (27773) Qty : 2 (TL# S9523)
It was another $1.00 shipping on these. I went with the white ones.

I’m not the most mechanically inclined kind of guy, but I managed to do it all by myself. For the Superhitch, the most challenging part was when it came time to lift the main receiver up. I installed each side bracket first and installed them by the back bolt only and had them hanging down in the front. Turned out I used two of the wrong plate washers here at first so eventually I realized that and had to swap them out.

In hind site, I think the instructions did say to install the front bolts first, but hey, who reads instructions? Maybe that would have made sliding the receiver into place easier. I tried jacking it up with a floor jack but finally gave up on that and just muscled it up and in.

On the first bolt that I tried to fish through to the forward location, I ran the fish wire though the washer then the bolt and screwed the bolt on to fish wire. Then I pulled it through the frame. Well, when I got to the access hole and tried to pull the bolt through the washer, it got stuck in the washer hole because the fish wire wrapped around the bolt made it too thick to squeeze through the tight fitting hole in the washer. I eventually gave up on trying to get it back out and now it's just sitting in my frame rail.

Fortunately, Tork Lift said they would send me a new plate washer so I can install this last one. For the rest, I figured out I needed to drill the plate washer hole out slightly and test the bolt and fish wire through the washer before I put it in the frame.

Apparently, there are some clearance issues with the Dodges and the CTD exhaust when you use the Torklift rear tiedowns. I ended up using C3201, which turned out to be a universal fit for 2nd gen Dodges and other trucks as well. They also fit in the Superhitch receiver and work perfectly. The Superhitch instructions do say to use washers as spacers to tilt the receiver down when installing it to clear the exhaust on Dodge diesel applications. I did not do that but it still clears the exhaust easily.

The real PITA is getting the 48” extension in and out. Of course it’s very heavy, especially once it is assembled into one piece. The concept is, before you tighten the hitch up, put the upper and lower extension in. Bolt them together then wriggle everything around until in theory they slide in and out easily and then crank the hitch down tight. Good luck. I think I may accept keeping the two pieces loose to make installing easier then tighten them up once I get them in. Not sure if realigning my hitch would make it easier??? It seemed like when I cranked it all down the extension moved pretty easily and came out easy enough. But then I couldn’t get it back in. Taking a grinder to the edges might help that out to.

The front tie downs were pretty simple to install once I went a bought an impact wrench. Always wanted a good excuse to buy one of those anyway. You have to remove two bolts that hold the bed down to install the brackets. Turns out DC uses a lot of Locktite on these bolts. I needed an 18MM socket and it took quite a bit for the impact wrench to brake them loose. But once they were out the brackets all went on pretty easily. I found that the plate washers for the tie downs had a slightly larger hole and I didn’t even have to predrill them out, like I did for the Superhitch.

I would say the only real disappointment in the system is the hardware that comes with the extension. The chains and tightening brackets seem really cheap and weak. But other then that, overall, I am very happy with the setup and really like the clean look of the TL over the way the Happijac system looks.

Ken

* This post was last edited 02/21/06 06:30am by kwinterb *   View edit history

'06 3500 CTD Sport 4WD DRW 48RE Exhaust Brake SRT-10 Hood; Ordrd 10/28/05;Dlvrd 1/25/06
'12 Cameo 36FWS; Ordrd 6/23/11;Dlvrd 9/16/11
www.kenanddeborahspics.shutterfly.com/231

Wife Deborah, since 87
Max, a boxer; Minnie Mi, a pug mix and three crazy cats

kwinterb

Pensacola, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Completed rear pic:
[image]

Exhaust Clearance:
[image]

Superhitch:
[image]

kwinterb

Pensacola, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Complete Front TL Parts:
[image]

Front TL:
[image]

Front TL:
[image]

AKSledhead

Anchorage, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great looking setup Ken! Glad everything worked out for you. Nice to see what my setup used to look like when it was new (it doesn't look new anymore after an Alaska winter). I do like the use of the factory receiver too...Nice concept from Torklift. My 24" extention's not light. I can only imagine how much the 48 weighs. By the way, nice rig you got there. Post some pics when you have everything attached.

'04 Jayco Granite Ridge 31SS
'07 Willie Drift Boat

ogrer

Norwood On

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good. Mine are on route, last check they were in Hodgkins Il..
Your truck looks CLEAN!, mine is covered in road salt.[emoticon]
So how about clearing the rear DRW fender, any problems? how about the tailpipe? Your CTD right?
Did you get fastguns too? Your shipping was $1 mine was $180 USD.[emoticon]

Again looks good.[emoticon]
Bob

Bob & Jan

kwinterb

Pensacola, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys! Yeah, I am very happy with the look. Thankfully no road salt or snow down here. Although it did get down to 25 here last night. Burrrr!

I did not have any problems with the exhaust clearing. Yes, I do have the CTD. So don't know if they moved the exhaust forward on the 06 or if TL did something different.

I have not gotten the TC yet, so am hoping for the best with the fenders. I am having my Lance dealer install some extensions that will move the tiedown points back a couple of inches to help clear them. Yes, I got the Fastguns also. All for $1.00 shipping. Quite amazing.

Ken

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
Self portrait!

I added this thread to the Project & Ideas Thread.

Brad

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My issue with the exhaust and Torq Lift was it was causing the rear corner of the camper to get black soot on it. I finally used a 'turn down' and that fixed the problem. Your set up looks super.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

ogrer

Norwood On

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never saw the self portrait, good eyes Brad.

TCINTN

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ken,
That setup looks awesome. I have been so satisfied with our TL system on our F450. I was fortunate to have TL install them while in Kent,Washington. Also I will say that they are one of the best when it comes to taking care of their customers.
TC

"But if not"
"Nevertheless"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Superhitch Receiver and Torklifts on 06 Ram 3500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.