|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Invisible Fencing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
nikki1979

Greene, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am curious who here uses invisible fencing with there animals and how well does it work at keeping your animals contained?

I am thinking about purchasing an invisible fencing system to use with my German Shepherd. She will only be using the invisible fencing when I am outside with her in the yard. Just curious as to how well they work.

2009 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Crew Cab
2009 Springdale
Maddison the fearless GSD

marshro

MI - USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend who has one & is sorry now. See, her dog can't get out, however other animals can get in. Her puppy got attacked that way as it had no where to run without getting zapped.

03 Silverado 2500HD Ext.Cab D/A 4X4
265 BFG ATKO's, Rancho RS9000x, 4" Dynomax Exh, AirLift Bags w/cont.,
AMC2 Pyro, Probe mount PTEJWA
04 31-2BHLE Cardinal,16K Pullrite SuperGlide w/super rails
Prodigy brake cont.
Me, Marsht01, 2 Princesses, & Sheltie Mickey

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The electronic collars don't always work consistantly with thick-furred dogs - a friend had to keep her Aussie's neck trimmed....

On the other hand, my sis-in-law has one for her Bichon, and says he's so used to staying in the yard now, that he doesn't even need the collar.

Some dogs do very well with it - and others learn that it only hurts for a moment when they cross the line at full speed....LOL!

Personally, I'm still partial to a fenced yard - to keep others out!

Deb

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son has one in Lawrenceville, GA, and his mixed breed male dog absolutely will not cross the line. Gary worked with him like they tell you to so the dog gets acquainted with the boundaries. My neighbor installed one 4' into her yard, inside a chain link fence, to keep her large mixed breed from getting close enough to jump the fence and it works. She did not work with the dog at all, just put the collar on. Yes, there is a chance of other dogs coming into your yard if your area does not have an effective leash law - you will just have to evaluate that risk based on your circumstances but the fences do work.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

pdukey

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

having been in the business, the bottom line is training, training and more training.

Cybergrunt

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My next-door neighbor has one for her beagle. It works well enough, but she is fortunate to not have had an issues with raccoons or foxes (both of with traverse our area regularly) or other dogs. I think that is probably going to be the most common worry point.

2021 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 24RLHL
810-825# TW, 5900# UVW, 7900# GVW, 30', Tymate TPMS
2013 F-150 XLT
V8/5.0/3.55/4WD, 145" WB, Husky WDH (round bar)
USMC (Ret.) - SEMPER FI!

Jacdanboy

North East

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/06 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to keep my camper at a friends house who had one with a crazy lab, whenever I would pick my camper up he would follow me out. I would have to stop, take BOTH Collers off, tie him up then leave.

nikki1979

Greene, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/06 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't fully trust the invisible fencing which is why I would never ever leave her outside by herself. I would be too nervous that she could run off if something were to tempt her. She has never tried to run off before but I don't want to take the chance her recall is good but you never know.

I thought this would be a nice alternative rather then being on a lead, when I am able to be outside with her. I typically spend alot of time during the summer months in my yard working and would like for her to be able to run around the yard with me. I'm not too worried about any of the nieghborhood dogs because of the leash laws that we have the majority of people follow them, for the ones who don't the dogs will simply be chased out of my yard.

If I were to put up a tradional fence it would be impossible for me to back the TT into the yard so this is the only option we have to work with besides using the lead with her.

shay

franklin, tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/06 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have it, but don't use it now. Katie Mae figured out a place to get out, and I guess she gritted her teeth and flew through it.

With Broadway, she was so afraid of it she didn't even want to leave the house. She got depressed, and we didn't like the effect it had on her. So we don't even use it now.

$800, down the drain.

Shay

[/i]2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3:) 2005 Chevy Diesel Duramax 3500 Series 1-ton dually with Allison transmission and crew cab back seats for gorgeous dogs! Myself DH Broadway - min-pin Katie Mae - mutt [i]Look for the truck with nose prints all over the windows![/i]:p

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

swebber

Bluemont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/06 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My neighbor has it around his property to contain his two big boxers. If they get a head of steam, they will roll right over that line without a thought but for the most part they stay within the perimeter.
My stepson installs Dog-Guard fencing and he emphasizes what pdukey stated "bottom line is training, training and more training."

Steve Webber
2013 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins and all the bells and whistles
2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS "CramalotInn III",Reese DCHP, Atwood 3500, BAL Deluxe Chocks, Weber Baby Q & Q200, Champion 2000W Inverter & 4000W gennie's
My Camping Pic's

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Invisible Fencing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.