|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Dog Licensing when you are fulltiming

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
realladyat57

DeLand, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/06 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi. We're full timing and have changed our residency to SD, although we won't be spending much if any time there.

Our dog has been licensed in FL where we used to live. He is up to date on his shots, but his license will be expiring in May,when we'll be in Michigan. How have others handled this? I have NO problem with the vacination requirements--we'd get them even if they weren't required, although I like the every three years for MI better than the yearly in FL.

How do others handle this issue? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MaryAnne

19Sandie54

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/06 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right or wrong, I would probably keep all vaccinations up to date and have copies of such with me at all times but not license him anywhere. If you don't have a permanent address how can you license him? Maybe using a relatives address would ba another option.

JJ & Sandie
2011 Heartland Elkridge
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/06 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others above have advised, not really a problem. Just keep current on all vaccinations and keep a record of this in your rig. I wouldn't bother with a local license. We have never been asked for a "license" only occasionally for proof of inoculations (rabies).

Also suggest you have your little buddy "chipped" with a national identification association like AVID.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Popsie

Full time travelling

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/06 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a full timer, you still have a "home address". I guess that it is somewhere in South Dakota.

If the locale where you have your home address requires a dog license, then you should get one there. If they don't require one, then you don't need one.

If you get caught up with some animal control folks in a city that requires dog licenses, as a visitor from South Dakota they can't bother you unless (A) your home town requires a dog license and (B) you don't have a current license from your home town.

midnightstar

Sargent, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/06 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never have had license for dogs. But, I do keep rabies tag and name tag on my dogs. Have cell phone number on tags since I carry cell with me and if they do get lost, whom ever finds them if they get lost can call me. Always have all up to date info with us in rig.

Sheri Milburn

JDelauter

Leesburg, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/06 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't matter where you get the innoculations. A rabies tag is a rabies tag. Not like the dog is going to get mail. So a MI tag would be alright.

Retired SMCM(MDV) USN 30 years
3 'Nam Tours
As of 11/04 Full-Timing with:
2003 Gulfstream Friendship, Quad slide
1 lovely wife
and 1 sassy Bichon
JDelauter@aol.com

dylansmom

Sioux Falls, SD (Fulltiming, could be anywhere)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/06 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We licensed our dog prior to Dylan, but Dylan has never been licensed. Now that we fulltime, I just don't see the need for it. His vaccinations are and will be kept current.

We did put our cell number on his ID tag, just in case.

We also have his and the cats medical records. But not ours. Now WHAT does THAT say????? [image][image]

Jackie, Greg, Dylan the dog

2006 Winnebago Adventurer 38T
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (the toad)

DocInBird

Just Roaming

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/06 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Orson is licensed and I have been asked to prove it.

--doc
I feel like I have an extra hundred pounds on my feet. Wait, I do and he snores.

rrich

SE Pa

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/06 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightstar wrote:

Never have had license for dogs. But, I do keep rabies tag and name tag on my dogs. Have cell phone number on tags since I carry cell with me and if they do get lost, whom ever finds them if they get lost can call me. Always have all up to date info with us in rig.

That's exactly what I do. I see NO point to a dog license.

98 Dakota 5.2 5spd (heavily modified)
03 Trailcruiser 19RDB

realladyat57

DeLand, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/06 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all your suggestions. I check to see if Hansen County, SD has a licensing requirement--if not, I won't worry about it and just keep the vacination record with me and the rabies tag on Tyco Bear.

The suggestion about the microchip is also good. We had him chipped before we went on the road. We frequently stay at military campgrounds and have found that more and more bases are requiring everyone who has a dog on base to have it chipped. This cuts down on the number of abandoned animals and it's also possible to identify the owner if there is a problem.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Dog Licensing when you are fulltiming
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.