RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: Roo 23SS Dual Battery Boxes ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Roo 23SS Dual Battery Boxes ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Chuck_S

Chesterfield VA -- that's south of Richmond y'all

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/06 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone with a Roo 23SS or similar size trailer have some photos of how the dual battery boxes are secured to the trailer tongue. It's 20°F today and the trailer is pretty much completely covered so I can't check what the tongue looks like.

I've seen a couple of photos of the batteries sitting side by side on the tongue in front of the LP tanks, but I can't determine what's under them as far as frame work, etc.

If you're working on this part of your trailer I'd appreciate a couple of photos. I've got two new Trojan T125 batteries just finished charging in the basement and the boxes ready to go, I just need to start planning the physical mounting. The battery currently on the trailer will go into my small motorboat to start the Honda 50hp 4-stroke outboard.

Thanks!

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

kenhall64

Magnolia, Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/06 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck - I replaced my single battery box with a toolbox for storage. On my HTT the batteries sit behind the propane tanks and there is a double battery tray mounted across the A frame. Since we always stay where there are hookups, I saw this area a place to gain storage. The single battery is inside toolbox.

HTT Mods

2006 Fleetwood Pegasus 190XP
2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
2004 Toyota Sienna
Wife and 6 year old son
Trek 5000 OCL Road Bike
Trek Mountain Bike

http://community.webshots.com/user/kenhall64

symbasden

WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/06 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck,

Are you still thinking about getting the hard plastic cover to cover the batteries and tanks? If so, I just don't see a way two will fit on my 21SS. I carry the second battery in a toolbox mounted elsewhere.

Jeff

2009 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8317SS
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
DW Kelly and DD

AmAlwaysL8

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/06 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck,
We have 2 batteries on ours, they are turned 180 degrees and placed side by side, with a little hanging off of each side. I didn't pull them out to see how they were attached. see pic 41 on webshots.

2002 Ford F250 4x4 Super Duty Extended Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel with Super Chip, 3:73 Pos-traction rear end
06 Roo 23SS
Wonderful Wife
Our 2 camping dogs: Lucie and Nigel
Very Lucky Man

2006 23SS

AutoEngMike

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/06 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck,

I was thinking that if I go to two 6V batteries I would mount them in the same place as the stock one. Here are a couple links to some dual-battery boxes that I would consider for mounting there.

http://www.solarseller.com/battery_boxes_by_quick_cable.htm

http://www.alliedbattery.com/boxes.htm

Mike

Chuck_S

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/06 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trojan batteries are made in California -- a long ways from California, Maryland, though. I ordered the T125s, which are the same physical size as T105s but with more amp hours, from the local golf cart/lawn equipment store.

Try this link for the battery source. I entered your ZIP code. Looks like a 50 mile drive.

I was told 8 weeks to order but they were here in a month. The were $90 something each with low profile screw terminals (not automobile posts). I didn't take the time to price shop.

Try this link for the individual GC-2 boxes. They're $12.59 each plus freight.

I've emailed a source for a side by side white dual GC-2 box. Have to see if they reply next week. They also have a white end to end box.

-- Chuck

tomhole

Loveland, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/06 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Chuck. I make it up to Pentagon on a regular basis, so I'll have to stop by one of the 2 sources near there.

Tom

Wife, 2 girls 14 & 11, 2 mini schnauzers, 2 cats, a pig and a fish
2008 Toyota Tundra 4x4, DC, SR5, 5.7L, 6 spd, 4.30 rear
2005 Toyota Sienna XLE
2008 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2701SS
F/A-18 Hornet 0-175 mph in 2 seconds

Chuck_S

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/06 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must have saved the source on my office PC. GC2 batteries, like the Trojan T105 and T125, have the same footprint as Group 24 batteries -- but are an inch taller. I paid about $26 + UPS for a pair of the taller GC2 boxes and intend to put them side by side on the tongue as shown in Mike & Jill's (and other's) photos.

Just wondering what's under the boxes, that's all; what holds the batteries to the frame. 9°F today!

The $100 box-for-two may get consideration after I see how these work. I need room inside for a 500 amp shunt so my Trimetric 2020 amp hour meter can do its job. I also need room to connect some big cables so I can run a 2500 watt inverter to handle a few minutes a day of my microwave and coffee maker during the times quiet hours prevent the generator from running.

-- Chuck

tomhole

Loveland, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/06 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pics below. The boxes are attached with large sheet metal screws through the boxes and into the coupler plating. There is a metal plate that is part of the coupler that provides ample room to attach two boxes. Be careful to stay inside the frame unless you want to break a couple of unworthy bits (like I did). Be sure to drill a couple of holes for water to drain as well.

Where'd you get your 125's and boxes? I want to replace my G24's.

This spring, I am going to move the propane tanks in front and the batts in back in one of those large plastic storage units. Have to replace the jack with electric or a front crank type. If it ain't broke, it should be and needs fixin'.

Tom

[image]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Roo 23SS Dual Battery Boxes ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.