|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> New Class A Owner- Top 10 Words of Advice

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rep

san angelo,tx.

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/02 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the replys are great. Congs. on your new R.V. One thing, stop and smell the roses along the way. Enjoy!!!

Big B & little b
2003 Tradewinds LE
2002 Kia 4 dr. Sportage tagging along
Red & Ginger (min. dashies) guard dogs
330 kittycat sitting on a Spartan chassis
FMCA# f308571
Do not drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Spirit Deer

Boundary Waters, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/02 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're in the same, um, boat you guys are, having just bought our first motor home.

I just recommended this book on another thread, so might as well mention it again. The RVer's Bible, by Kim and Sunny Baker, has been very helpful for me. It answers a lot of questions about basic stuff.

I liked the answers on this forum from the veterans, too. Nothing like experience! Thanks to all who are so patient and helpful to us newbies.

Rae

Spirit Deer
One husband
Two huskies
Three kitties
1983 Itasca Sunflyer moho (Arvie) (big toy)
2005 Chevy Astro
2005 Palomino Mustang (Sally) (slightly smaller toy)

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/02 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1-Remember know matter how bad things might get out on the road (memories from our Fleetwood days)its still better than staying home and doing nothing.
2-Sign up for a good roadside assistance plan, its cheap insurance. (Again, memories from our Fleetwood days)
3-Make sure you have safe tires. Even though the tread my look good the sidewalls may not be. Inspect them carefully!
4-And lastly, if you feel like you want to upgrade after a year, join the club. We went through 3 coaches in 3 years. The third one is great and we'll be here for a few more years. Good luck and ENJOY!

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Bill and Kathi

SW GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/02 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shelly & Craig,

We also own our 1st (new to us) Cruise Master. We love it. The advice you have received so far is great but my list comes from experience with another couple who had problems on the road. Its always best to be prepared.
1. Both need to know how to drive and "live"
in the MH.
2. If you leave in your toad you both need
your drivers license and at least one
credit card.
It may be rare but this couple had a accident in their toad and he was placed in the hospital. She had no license with her and could not rent a car. We got a motel room for her and the next day my husband and I took her to get the MH (about 40 miles)and she had never driven it before. She had to live in it while he recovered. We gained some great friends from that and they are still "on the road".

I hope this isn't too much on the down side but I certainly learned from it. Happy motoring.

Bill, Kathi and Toby (the doxie) - for the "pitter patter" of little feet.

Love the "Sound of the South" at Troy University

Dale L.

Grove OK USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/02 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't already have then learn patience. Standing joke with my wife and me on what's going to take place this trip. Just my two cents.

Dale
2002 36' Travel Supreme
2002 Jeep Liberty Toad

Ipanema

Punta Gorda, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/02 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shelly: and when you are ready to leave a CG, be sure to check around. You just might have left your water pressure regulator on the CG's bib!
Giid luck.

Ed and Lilian

Penn State Class of 1956

bmeado19

Oklahoma City OK

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/02 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition to the good advice you've already received I'd like to add or second a few.

1."Park Before Dark" is our motto, particularly when we are landing in strange places where we've never been before. Doing this will considerably lessen the stress of settling in for the night, and if you are the cook you won't find yourself cooking and cleaning at midnight.

2. This was mentioned previously but is most important. Both of you should be able to drive the coach and set up camp, including hooking and unhooking the toad. If one becomes ill, and this has been know to happen, you'll be real glad you have this knowledge.

3. Keep a journal of your travels, it is good to write a few lines every night. I include the name of campgrounds, cost and how we like it. The name of a good restaurant, museum, tourist attraction or whatever we've done that day. Also any unusual experiences we've coped with. During those dark periods when you are home bound it's almost like taking a trip to read your journal.

beejaycee

New Orleans, LA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/02 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the new RV and we hope you love it! Unfortunately, here's where I get to be a stick in the mud. I would warn any new RVer to know your state's lemon law and don't be afraid to use it. Just because "everyone else" has the same model as you and it works great for them doesn't mean that yours can't be the rotten apple. We bought a '99 Winnebago and it has been at 'home' 3 weeks so far this year. The rest of the time it has been in the shop for a leaking roof and water in the air breather when it rains. In fairness, we have not spoken to anyone else who has had the problems that we have had with a Winnebago so I think ours is the exception and not the rule.

A friend of ours bought a '02 Holiday Rambler which had similar problems (roof leaks) and, through the use of the lemon law, HR is replacing the coach. He learned his lesson on his first coach (also a HR) which had electrical problems. He didn't use the law and took a bath when he finally got tired of not being able to use the coach. We screwed around too long to use that option because we didn't want to believe that we had a problem coach. Now, we would have to take a $25k bath to get rid of it.

donn

Phoenix AZ - St. George UT

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/02 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Read your manuals.....don't just skim them...read them thoroughly. No matter that you know how to work everything. You may not be working it properly. If you don't understand every word you read, ask your dealer to explain.
2. Send in all your warranties.
3. Keep a detailed service record, complete with receipts. Know which services are required and when due.
4. Keep a detailed maintenance record of work you do yourself such as adding water to your coach batteries, or putting a coat of wax on the rig.

donn

johnandkathy1999

Bedford,TX-USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/02 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats.
Make sure you have plenty of film for you camera and take lots of pictures.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> New Class A Owner- Top 10 Words of Advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.