|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> New Class A Owner- Top 10 Words of Advice

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dapmfp

Houston, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/02 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we set out to explore the area in our toad we sometimes will drive 100-200 miles in a day's time. We always have a sheet of paper with the information of where our motorhome is (the name of the campground and the town) with us in our toad. In case of an accident (heaven forbid) this could be very useful information especially if you have left your pets in your motorhome.

Mary

Dave and Mary
2001 Newmar Dutch Star 3852 DP
2001 Jeep Wrangler

Shellynole

Jacksonville, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/02 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the great advice! We are taking our first trip next week, and will follow it all.
Shelly

Shelly and Craig
95 Cruise Master

BurmaShave

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/02 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before leaving the check-in office, WALK to the proposed site and check for low hanging trees, other people getting ready to leave, kids playing in yards etc. so your drive in will not have a 'crunch' in the middle. Ditto before leaving - since it may be a different road going out. Also look for escape roads in case of a problem.

If you are parked for awhile and run your engine, to exercise it, pick a windy day, the fumes will dissipate.

oldmac

Albuquerque NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/02 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a class A the driver will be sitting farther to the left of the traffic lane than you used to be in your car. For the first couple of months you will need to think about where you should be sitting relative to the traffic lane. Otherwise your right side will be in the lane beside you. Eventually it becomes automatic to be properly in your lane.

TravelDawg

Marietta, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/02 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

> Be patient.
> Tolerate less polite drivers.
> Be considerate of truckers; they're doing what you're doing but for a living.
> Got a diesel pusher - buy a truck stop directory & avoide small fuel stations.
> Laugh at the setbacks & mistakes you encounter.
> Have fun.

Cpartjr

Anywhere, U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/03 11:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shelly,

You've received a lot of good information. The only thing I can add is to enjoy the ride, and take it slower. Rving is not about speed it's about the adventure.

Hope you have many happy, safe, and trouble free miles.

Cliff and Barbara
2003 Beaver Santiam 38 PBDD
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2007 Explorer Sport Trac (Toad)
w/BrakeBuddy

burgess001

Springfield, MO USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/03 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, you are going to get lost of operational advice. Here is some preparation advice. You may have different goals for RVing than we do, but this works for us.

1. With a motorhome, the trip can be as much fun as being there, if you take your time.

2. Get lots of books and check out lots of websites on things like Walmart locations, Freeway exit guides, free and low cost campgrounds.

3. If you are going to be out much, buy a cheap campground membership and then join Passport America, RPI, and Coast to Coast.

4. Join Good Sam and FMCA, at least for a few years so you can get their magazines with good information articles.

5. Get a good Roadside Assistance policy.

6. Don't limit RVing to nice weather. Winter camping can be some of the best.

7. If possible, don't take the RV on scenic routes. Plan to park it and sightsee in the toad (and you do need to pull a toad).

8. Set up for camping OUTSIDE the RV. Bug zappers and repellants, chairs, tables, ground covers, etc. That's half the experience.

9. Install a bank of 4 batteries (at least 2) and get a good inverter. You need to be able to make toast without shorepower or starting the gen.

10. Get a good quick-disconnect towbar and get brakes for the toad. My old P30 Chevy coach was not safe without toad brakes.

Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)

rudypop

Lockport, New York, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/03 05:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most important advice I can give is for the husband..........DON'T SWEAR AT WIFE FOR GIVING YOU THE WRONG DIRECTIONS........she'll insist on selling m/h the next day. Therefore, all wrong turns have to be treated like an adventure. You just have to hold your tonque.

gmcneice

Mt. Pleasant SC USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/03 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take each reply and read carefully - you will see many common items and others. We recommend that the pilot and co-pilot discuss and agree on their respective tasks in setting out, setting up, taking down and moving out. Write these down for each and religiously read them to each other at each stage. Modify them as you gain experience and confidence but never rush things and neglect to get each list checked before proceeding. Checking lights, tire pressures and establishing backup hand signal procedures are fundamental to safe operation. You will never regret being dogmatic about these items.

havasufun

Big Bear Lake, Ca (Snow Summit)

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/02 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have enjoyed all these posts! On my first trip I had an inside blow-out. I am in good shape 44 years old and do everything myself (macho)! It took me 5 hours to change it (once I found the bud socket)I am surprised no one said to get AAA. I did the next day and I will never change a tire myself again on a large motorhome! I had the wife and the dog helping to bust the lugs. Then the jack sank into the freeway. Good thing I had cold beer. Also get a map of all the Wal Marts Its a great place to stay for a quick overnight. And they welcome you.
Relax and have fun.

Paul

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> New Class A Owner- Top 10 Words of Advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.