RV.Net Open Roads Forum: New Car/New PopUp What do I really need?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> New Car/New PopUp What do I really need?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
scvwest

Chula Vista, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/06 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a newbie. I just bought a popup Fleetwood Highlander Niagara 3700# GVWT. I am going to tow it with a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder (6K towing)and want to know what I really need to make my trips successful. I am told that I need a brake control for my vehicle, is this true? I have an appt at an RV place tomorrow and they are quoting me $160 for the unit plus about 3 hours labor to install. I am also wondering if I need anything to prevent swaying? And one more thing...I have a 4-prong that I am having converted to a 7 prong flat to fit my needs on the trailer, I am assuming this should be done at the RV place also. Oh yeah...one more thing...I was surprised to discover my popup doesn't have a greywater tank. Any advise? Can this be installed?

KeninAZ

Prescott Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/06 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For starters your 7 pin will be round, just so you know.
Your TV should be fairly heavy duty. I know your PU is heavier like mine but I would try it before I went to any sway controls. You may well not need it.
The 3 hours to install the 7 pin and brake control is a little excessive time wise.
And many PUs do not come with a gray water tank. I have one for my shower only in my unit. The sink gray water goes into a tank which is common with a PU.

2000 Bounder 31M Class A~oldie but goodie
Acme EZE Tow Dolly towing 2017 Chrysler Pacifica

jay2003

Williamson County, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/06 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You pose lots of questions here in my mind. First of all you're in California so your trailer should automatically be equipped with brakes. You need to check what type of brakes though... surge or electric? If you have electric brakes then yes you need a brake controller and you need to do the conversion from 4 pin to 7 pin. If you have surge brakes then you don't need any additional wiring other than the 4 pin your Pathfinder came with.

05 Toyota Tacoma DC 4x4 SB Off-Road Package w/Tow 128" WB Toyo Open Country A/T Tires

2005 KZ Jag 24JB
WD hitch w/ friction sway
Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx
Honda EU2000i Generator

Me.. the wife, the 7 year old, and the 4 year old

Mike Up

NW Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/06 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scvwest wrote:

I am a newbie. I just bought a popup Fleetwood Highlander Niagara 3700# GVWT. I am going to tow it with a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder (6K towing)and want to know what I really need to make my trips successful. I am told that I need a brake control for my vehicle, is this true? I have an appt at an RV place tomorrow and they are quoting me $160 for the unit plus about 3 hours labor to install. I am also wondering if I need anything to prevent swaying? And one more thing...I have a 4-prong that I am having converted to a 7 prong flat to fit my needs on the trailer, I am assuming this should be done at the RV place also. Oh yeah...one more thing...I was surprised to discover my popup doesn't have a greywater tank. Any advise? Can this be installed?

You have everything you need. The 7 pin from Nissan replaces the 4 pin plug. Get a Prodigy with the Nissan harness and it installs in 10 minutes. Your company is screwing you.

You need nothing but the 7 Pin replacement socket from Nissan(~$75) and the Prodigy brake controller with Nissan Harness for $125 or less. If you Pathy was built after April 2005, you'll need a relay also which is ~$25.

BTW, the 7 pin plug is exclusively from Nissan. Don't let them chop up your wires. They should had known that already which worries me about their competence. I wouldn't let them do anything, as you don't need them to do anything anyhow.

Nissan will unplug the original 4 pin plug and remove it and it's harness. They will install the new 7 pin (ROUND) plug and it's harness. The 7 pin is round, not flat. They will also install the relay if needed.

Here's where I bought my Prodigy. Since I have no local retailer, Tekonsha recommended this online site to me.

Here are pictures of the new Nissan replacement 7 pin round plug and harness provided by this sharing person.

For good brake controller mounting position, look at my signature pictures. I originally had the controller on the right but my shin started hitting it when I braked from the G-Force.

Have a good one.

* This post was last edited 02/28/06 04:26pm by Mike Up *   View edit history

2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/06 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with everything Mike told you. I have an Xterra, which shares the same platform as the Pathy.

I installed my hitch and harness myself. I bought it as a kit from Nissan. The placement of the jack on the hitch is slightly different, but other than asthetics, the setup is basically the same:

[image]

Nissan also sells an adapter to convert from their round 7 pin to a standard flat 4. Looks like this:

[image]

On my Xterra, and I'm sure it's the same with your Pathfinder, the Nissan factory harness that the brake controller plugs into, via the adapter Mike mentioned, is under the steering column. Might be taped up to keep it from falling down in view.

The Nissan factory wiring harness comes with all the necessary relays to make the entire system functional. FWIW, the braking system on the new Nissans knows when a trailer is connected, and changes the braking profile. More info online about this feature.

On edit, forgot to mention I wouldn't go to that shop to do the work. 3 hours labor is nuts. I'm no pro, and it took me an hour to install the hitch AND the wiring. More pics of the install at this link.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

tomhole

Loveland, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/06 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brake controller is required and is covered by earlier posts. I would consider adding a weight distribution hitch as well. The Niagara's hitch weight will be around 500 lbs loaded and your Pathfinder will thank you for the WDH. No gray tank on a Niagara. Might want to look at a blue tote for gray water purposes.

Other than that, enjoy the new toys. You have a nice combo there.

Tom

Wife, 2 girls 14 & 11, 2 mini schnauzers, 2 cats, a pig and a fish
2008 Toyota Tundra 4x4, DC, SR5, 5.7L, 6 spd, 4.30 rear
2005 Toyota Sienna XLE
2008 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2701SS
F/A-18 Hornet 0-175 mph in 2 seconds

retiredtraveler

Woodstock Il --- GO HIKING!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/06 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm new to this too, and will be purchasing a Jayco in the next month or so. I also have a Nissan Xterra, 2005.
I'm not sure if you're conveying what you're being charged for. As someone responded, if they're telling you 3 hours labor for installing a brake controller (yes, you must have this with electric brakes), then you are getting screwed. I'm wondering if they're telling you 3 hours to do the wire harness. If you have a 4 pin connector, they physically have to wire the other 3 wires from front-to-back and replace your 4-pin with a 7-pin. If THAT is what is happening, 3 hours is 'reasonable', along with the installation of the brake controller. I'm thinking that is what you're talking about.
I know this first hand ---- I bought the Xterra 6 months ago with the assumption that I would have a 7-pin connector (the booklet said that if you order the towing package, 7-pin is what it comes with).
Went and picked up my brand new car and you know what I found. So, I had to have it re-fitted later (yes, I was not charged for this). They took a good portion of the morning to re-fit.

As far as sway control, that subject has been broached many times on this forum. You can search on this. What you'll find is that ABSOLUTELY, you want sway control. Everyone states how well they work. You will be looking at something like a Reese Mini --- it is a fairly new thing for PU's to have sway control. There were no smaller hitches for them. But, then, someone figured out that it was much safer to control sway which is a problem for PU's too, so, now they're out there and are a definite safety feature.

No longer RV'ing

tomhole

Loveland, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/06 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think there might be some confusion between weight distribution hitches and sway control. They are not the same and may or may not be necessary on the Niagara.

I think a WDH is a very good idea with a Niagara on anything less than a 3/4 ton TV. A Reese mini will not be large enough to handle the Niagara's hitch or gross weight. I would recommend the Equal-i-zer brand as a good fit. A nice WDH that also happens to have sway control built in.

As to sway control, your choice. Get an Equal-i-zer and don't worry about it. Or, add it for $30 (friction sway control). Or just leave it off and see if you need it. But, that is a separate animal from weight distribution.

Tom

Mike Up

NW Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/06 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rancelumsden wrote:

I'm new to this too, and will be purchasing a Jayco in the next month or so. I also have a Nissan Xterra, 2005.
I'm not sure if you're conveying what you're being charged for. As someone responded, if they're telling you 3 hours labor for installing a brake controller (yes, you must have this with electric brakes), then you are getting screwed. I'm wondering if they're telling you 3 hours to do the wire harness. If you have a 4 pin connector, they physically have to wire the other 3 wires from front-to-back and replace your 4-pin with a 7-pin. If THAT is what is happening, 3 hours is 'reasonable', along with the installation of the brake controller. I'm thinking that is what you're talking about.
I know this first hand ---- I bought the Xterra 6 months ago with the assumption that I would have a 7-pin connector (the booklet said that if you order the towing package, 7-pin is what it comes with).
Went and picked up my brand new car and you know what I found. So, I had to have it re-fitted later (yes, I was not charged for this). They took a good portion of the morning to re-fit.

As far as sway control, that subject has been broached many times on this forum. You can search on this. What you'll find is that ABSOLUTELY, you want sway control. Everyone states how well they work. You will be looking at something like a Reese Mini --- it is a fairly new thing for PU's to have sway control. There were no smaller hitches for them. But, then, someone figured out that it was much safer to control sway which is a problem for PU's too, so, now they're out there and are a definite safety feature.

On the Pathfinder, there are 2 wiring harnesses under the rear body. One harness for a 4 pin plug, one for a 7 pin plug. You simply disconnect the 4 pin plug's harness and plug in the new 7 pin plugs harness. Don't splice or anything as it's already there. If your vehicle has a brake controller harness in the dash, it's already setup and wired for a 7 pin plug. BTW, all Nissan SUVs and trucks are prewired for a brake controller and have a dash harness for the controller so the 7 pin plug wiring is all there. You just need to put an end harness on it.

Have a good one.

Thumper_ehhhhh

Oakville Ont Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/06 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This might not apply to everyone but this is a tip I got from a snowplow opperator. Most 7 pin plugs are on the outside of the T.V. the wire that goes into the back of it, seal it with caulking then add a greese nipple to the side of the harness ( making sure of coarse you dont hit anywires) then pump greese into it. It keeps all bad depry and salt out and stops the wires from corroding. I didn't get a chance to do it with mine last fall so i'm going to do it this spring.He was replacing his harness every year the salt was killing it. He did this mod 5 years ago and is still on the same harness.
Happy rving.

2005 Kodiak 25QB Hybrid
2004 Chev Suburban LS 4x4 tow package
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
Map is camped in States and Provinces only
Mods and pics http://community.webshots.com/user/Thumper_ehhhh

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> New Car/New PopUp What do I really need?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.