|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> just a reminder to pet owners

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
agkcpa

Santa Barbara, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/06 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before we sold our home, we lived "in the country" for about 5 years. We lived in an area with very few neighbors and lots of wildlife, including many, many coyotes. We saw them right outside the bedroom window. They would rip my irrigation lines to get water and would eat fallen avocados. My wife accidentally hit one with the car while driving home one night... it was HUGE, about 80 pounds.

There were always stories of missing cats, but never a dog (thankfully). We had 2 Australian Terriers at the time. We had a small fenced yard for the dogs to use to get outdoor time and for their "bathroom". At least once or twice a month we would jump out of bed to check on the dogs when we would hear the hectic paced cries of the coyotes that had obviously caught something.

Happy Travels,
Art
Come Visit Us At RV Lifestyle

Popsie

Full time travelling

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/06 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVJohn wrote:

I wonder how a 100 pound Lab would have faired against a coyote????
Coyotes hunt to live, and usually operate in pairs and sometimes a group.

Two coyotes (less than 30 pounds) will most likely kill a 125 pound German Shepherd if they come across each other.

Do not underestimate coyotes. In some areas, they have become used to people and lose their natural safety instincts which make them stay away from humans.

Ms Geri

Winter Garden, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AWE NO [emoticon]

Coachmen Class A
Totally redone including full body paint
Our first camping experience
Professional Pet Stylist
www.floridadoggrooming.com
Certified BBQ Judge
With in spirit, our very own Coachmen Dalmatian Dog, Sir Petieboy

dylansmom

Sioux Falls, SD (Fulltiming, could be anywhere)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/06 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing that needs to be brought up is why did the dogs just rush out?????? I agree that this is a tragic story, and don't mean to make light of it. The very first thing I teach my dogs is that they are NOT allowed out the door, unless they have been told it is ok. I can leave my door wide open, and Dylan will not go out on his own. It is a simple thing to teach, and apparently could have saved this little guys life.

Please take the time to teach your pets this very important thing.

OH, and you don't have to be in the woods to have coyotes. We have them in the vacant lot behind the RV Resort we are staying in. Roads and houses all around, but they are still there sometimes.

Jackie, Greg, Dylan the dog

2006 Winnebago Adventurer 38T
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (the toad)

bigdodgeram

southern Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/06 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The small (50,000 people) city I live in has coyotes wondering around the lakes near our house. we see them at 5 am on the way to work. Put up a six foot fence and hope for the best.

95,Dodge RAM 2500 Club Cab, Red, SLT Laramie 2WD, 5.9 V-8, 46RH Trany. 5th Wheel Hitch & Tailgate. Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. 1998 Fleetwood 28' Wilderness 5th wheel, 2 legged hitch support.
lovely wife, & Molly & Cassie our black & yellow labs.

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a horrible, tragic situation... I bet that owner is heartbroken. [emoticon] This can serve as a good reminder to all of us. We try to remember to always tell our dogs to "Stay" when we open our trailer door but in the middle of the night we may not be awake enough to think that clearly. I think this sort of thing can happen in the blink of an eye. Thanks Sharon for giving us all something to think about...

I think our awareness has increased since on the other side of our back fence is about 30 acres of woods and almost every night we can hear the coyotes yipping. We have seen them out back a time or two and have also seen a couple of red foxes during the day... We have a lot of wildlife everything from bunnies, to deer, and a some mighty big red tailed hawks (falcons if you prefer). Although all of our dogs are over 20 pounds we never allow them out at night without one of us going with them and we look out into our yard with the light on before we open the door. We know that coyotes hunt in packs and a chainlink fence is just a small obstacle for them.

Bottom line, we must be aware of our surroundings and a tragedy such as this one certainly re-enforces that!

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

CA POPPY

Santa Clarita, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OMG, if that happened to us, nobody in the campground would get any sleep the rest of the night! Just about like losing a child! It's something we worry about, since we have two very small dogs, not just about wild critters but also, large dogs. Often the owners of the big dogs act offended when we get protective, not realizing that their dog(s) might mistake our girls for a squirrel or rabbit. It's one of the drawbacks of having very small dogs, but there are so many advantages, it's worth the constant paranoia. I feel sooooooo sorry for those people. Bud often gets up at night to take one of our dogs out to potty. Even on a leash, it could be deadly. Thanks for the warning.

Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And never assume that coyotes are only found out west - I had one trot across the road right in front of me, and I was on the outskirts of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

We've also had the occasional sighting of pumas, too.

Deb

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

newbietrailerqueen

DFW area, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/06 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just got back from The Ft. Davis Mtn area in Southwest Texas and the Ranger warned us about the Javalina's down there. The can be VERY aggressive and have actually attacked dogs while the owner was walking them at night. He told us that they have had dogs killed and maimed by them and not just little dogs.

Javalina's are mainly nocturnal and the travel in groups (as large as 15-20). They are attracted the dog odor. (Coyote which is part of the canine family is their predator) On our last night there one of our dogs around 10:30 started acting strange at the door. DH turned on the light and sure enough there was a javalina right in our campsite!!!

"Maggie" & "Rusty" (4 pawed kind)
2005 Fleetwood Southwind 32 VS
2005 Honda Pilot - toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> just a reminder to pet owners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.