|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Finding Vet on the Road

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/06 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got one sick dog.Arrived Brenda, AZ today. Called RV PK while on the rod. Asked if they new of any vets close by them. Lady at desk said closest was Quartzite. When we arrived RV PK. Lady behind the desk gave me a list of vets. Wife called while I unhooked toad. One in Quartzite only worked until noon and than went to another town. Tried Blythe,CA. There vet was out. Called back to first vet. Made appointment for Wed. Morning. Not sure how serious my dog is. But she has not eaten anything sense Monday night, drinks very little water. I have to carry here in and out of MH (40# dog) All she does is lie on the floor, hardly moves. I have checked her stomach and thighs for discomfort. She does not complain. I am thinking an intestinal blockage right now. Jasmine did eat part of a dog toy several days ago. But no problem has showed up until today. Hope to find out Wed.

What I am trying to say is. It is hard to get a vet to look at your pet. As a person you can go to just about any medical service and get taken care of. I feel so helpless watching my best friend just lay on the floor.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

The Three M's

Milner, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/06 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Bless your heart!"...I guess you know that is a Southern saying since you & I live in the South, but "I really mean it!"...I know exactly how you feel as I watched my 5 year old Schnauzer lay lifeless on Christmas Eve from a severe case of diabetes and there is nothing you can do but try to keep them comfortable. I will say a "prayer" that your furbaby will be just fine after the visit to the Vet!...Please keep us posted!

Melanie

The Three M's
Melanie, Mike & Mandy
Our furbaby, Boo, Male Schnauzer born 10/25/05
TO OUR BELOVED SCHNAUZER, LILLY- WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU! 5/14/00 to 12/26/05
2010 Ford F350 Powerstroke Diesel Crew Cab Dually
2005 Open Road 296RLDS Triple Slides

qbert10

St. Louis, Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/06 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there no emergency hospital around? I guess I take it for granted but in St. Louis we have 4 emergency animal hospitals that are open after regular hours, weekends and holidays. I can not tell you how many times we have depended on them to help our little darlings (or in the case of our lab who was struck by a car, make his death as painless as possible). My heart goes out to you and I hope your pet is okay.

Self and Spouse
2 children
2 dogs: Mya, Lab/ Catahoula Mix, Roxi, ACD, Bully Mix.
2014 Dodge 3500 CCLB DRW 6.7 CTD, Aisin Automatic, 4x4, Max Steel Metallic , Soon to have a B&W 3600.
2009 Jayco 31.5FBHS

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/06 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can only hope 9 AM comes early Wed. And vet can help my girl out.

PJoseph

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/06 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what I would do if it were my pup. I am not a vet but have had a lot of training on the issue. Dont wait for an appointment. Carry your pup into to any place that is open in the am. I have brought many pups in with emergency issues to non emergency facilities and they all do the best they can. I travel for work with my k9 and finding care is tough sometimes.

You are probably right with the blockage issue. No way to tell by email. When was the last time the dog did it's business? Will the dog take any food? Ie. peanut butter or cheese? Or refused everything? Refusal of water is what you need to be concerned with. Dogs by design do not need to eat daily. But water is a must. You need to be concerned about dehydration in AZ. Pull the loose skin away from the body to test for it's water content. Make your pup is comfortable until you can get it to the vet. If it is refusing water you must monitor for dehydration. keep it cool because it cant regulate it's heat without water in it's system. In AZ this may mean in the a/c or a wet towel over the back while you apply cool water every so often. No sun light. Check pups temperature hourly ( can be anywhere from (100.3 to 102.5) every dog is different and and check gums for anemia ( push on the gum to make sure good blood flow returns after you remove your fingure.

Best of luck.

FYI.

On Nasar.org you can purchase a small paper back book about emergency medicine for handlers. It is worth every penny. Think it is about 9 or 10 bucks. If you travel a lot it will pay for itself.

PJ
R-Vision / Trail Cruiser 30 QBSS
2001 Durango
Prodigy / Equalizer / Hellwigs / Bilstiens / Fastman VB

Hoops

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/06 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please come back and let us know how your baby is doing. Will keep you guys in prayer.

Becky

The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/06 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How sad, I'm so sorry your dog is so sick. I hope everything turns out ok. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/06 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well not as bad as first thought. No blockage. Found the vet. Very nice guy, works out of a mobile home for an office. Bill was $200.0. Now the good part. Vet says Jasmine has "Valley Fever" Gave her a couple of shots, two medications to take and is doing a blood work up. The blood test will not be back until later this week.

Vet says Valley Fever is very common out here. Says it is in the soil. (all I see are rocks of all sizes) So Jasmine is back in MH and resting. Will let you know how she improves. Thank You for your prayers for here.

Valley Fever runs a long time and it is also something humans can get. But is not communicable.

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/06 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank goodness it wasn't a blockage. We have a friend that lost there dog to a blockage. They regretted not taking there dog in right away. Was there any other symptoms that your dog had. We go to Arizona ever so often to visit my sister.

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/06 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do a Google search. There are several topics on this.

Not sure what vet gave Jasmine. But she is up and around already and back to eating again.

She had a 104 deg. temp,aching muscles,did not eat or drink.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Finding Vet on the Road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.