RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Really want to get confused about dog food ingredients?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Really want to get confused about dog food ingredients?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/06 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran across this "war between natural dog food company's"

Thought you might enjoy it as it does raise some interesting comparisons compiled in one place to view and compare.
NOTE; This is ONE particular brand of dog food vs all the others, responding to claims. [emoticon]

I actually like several of these brands of dog food and found it VERY interesting how controversial the rebuttal is regarding these new ingredients that are found in the specialty foods comparing them to each other as to who is right.

For your enjoyment only, I don't support it one way or the other.[emoticon]

This is Wysong vs Solid Gold
http://www.wysong.net/controversies/solidgold.shtml

Scroll down to 'Pet Food Company Claims and Facts' and pick your debate. [emoticon] [emoticon]
http://www.wysong.net/dontbefooled.shtml

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, Eureka, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/06 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[b]Do you think I'm out of my mind, Rock! :p:B I oughta block this topic for my own good! :p

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 9 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Jerrybo66

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/06 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=DOTLDaddy][b]Do you think I'm out of my mind, Rock! :p:B I oughta block this topic for my own good! :p[/quote] I agree.. Wassamatter with you Rock? Are you the trollest of trolls? I should report you to the moderator. I was hyped on buying solid gold for our guardian pitbull and you dashed all of my confidence. My 90 year Mother suggested a diet for our pet and you made it impossible for me to believe even her. Oh what am I now to believe? I am now a lost voice crying in the desert for the truth about what to feed our pet. I hope you're happy.....:B.... Good one.. I like the way you presented it.. :B

Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

DocInBird

Just Roaming

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/06 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Orson, I think this nice man would like to be over there. Nope, maybe over there. I'm sorrry, just herd him anywhere you choose.

Let me know when you get back. Orson likes those "out of the way" places. I wonder where he learned that?

--doc
I feel like I have an extra hundred pounds on my feet. Wait, I do and he snores.

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/06 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well, just goes to show there's nothing like good ol' home cookin'.

I buy the meat and the veggies and I know exactly what supplements are in it. No debate here at all. Suzie's Loving Plateful ... I'm sure Chaos agrees that there's nothing better!

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/06 12:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=Jerrybo66][quote=DOTLDaddy]Do you think I'm out of my mind, Rock! :p:B I oughta block this topic for my own good! :p[/quote] I agree.. Wassamatter with you Rock? Are you the trollest of trolls? I should report you to the moderator. I was hyped on buying solid gold for our guardian pitbull and you dashed all of my confidence. My 90 year Mother suggested a diet for our pet and you made it impossible for me to believe even her. Oh what am I now to believe? I am now a lost voice crying in the desert for the truth about what to feed our pet. I hope you're happy.....:B.... Good one.. I like the way you presented it.. :B[/quote] Well welcome to [u]MY[/u] world [u]TOO[/u]. [b][u]"I" JUST SWITCHED TO SOLID GOLD![/u][/b]] My dog almost died this month, dog food ingredients appear to be the culprit. This IS what sent me off trying to be more informed. And after the chain of events over the past three weeks I AM STAYING with Solid Gold. (Actually I fed this food exclusively to my dogs back in the 80's, probably shouldn't have changed. I am not sharing these to be a troll or anything else for that matter, I am on my OWN mission of trying to find a good dog food. Heck this link I posted from Wysong slammed the dog food I was on AND the dog food I switched to. When the dog food I was using changed their formula I was forced to start looking AGAIN for a dog food. Trying to get ALL the info I could, just as confused as everyone else. :R I don't usually share my personal dog problems here, but here goes what happened 3 weeks ago. Is it a coincidence? or was it food related? the vet, me and since my dog can't talk we probably will never really know, but all things considered it DOES point to it. But the time frame of it all, in this instance points to dog food and/or my dogs sensitivity to the ingredients change, that for her was deadly. :( Woke up at 2:00 am with dog #1 trying to wake me up, dog #2 is laying out flat gums white and unresponsive. CPR, mouth to mouth doesn't do a thing, she's fading and one breath away from death,her condition is not in a place that getting to the vet is going to help. Last effort was to try glucose, I forced down an entire tube of pure glucose for human diabetics. She started to come around. Whew. Now stabilized I Took her to vet. ALT on liver blood panel was 10 times higher than normal. Bile acid test showed liver 'unable' to function. Critical. A liver can repair itself if environmental induced,(although there is no reason to include this,but needs about 3 weeks, before I decide to wait and pursue further treatment, I CHANGED DOG FOODS to a lower protein, lower fat, no animal fat, all things needed if a dog HAS been diagnosed with liver failure. Solid Gold offers a specialty food for seizures and liver problems. So I PUT THIS DOG ON THIS FOOD, at this time, I figured it couldn't hurt if she does come back with liver problems, this is the only answer to increase their life. no animal fat, minimal protein food. (I start to live/lurk on the liver disease and seizure forums to glean as much info they can offer, all discussions on success of saving dogs and eliminating these aflictions is totally related to WHAT DOG FOOD INGREDIENTS are fed to the dog. These people are living breathing proof that when they feed specific types of food to these dogs, they can actually eliminate their dogs problems. I found this to be truly amazing. For all the neysayers about dog food, join a group on yahoogroups for cushings, diabetes, liver , seizure problems in dogs and sit back and listen how these people are maintaining and 'eliminating' these problems in their dogs WITHOUT drugs and by simply NOT feeding dog foods with specific ingredients, dyes, chemicals, etc. AND feeding some of these holistic, specialty foods that are saving their dogs lives.} Next steps are ultra sound, biopsy of liver. Possible conditions, hemagiosarcoma, liver failure, hepatitis, possible ingestion of foreign object up against bile duct. Ultra sound comes back clean no signs of tumors, enlargement etc. This eliminates all but hepatitis, which in dogs ONLY biopsy can reveal hep, or plum just liver failure. This is young dog. I opt for another ALT test first, her ALT is completely back to normal. :R My vet has never seen an acute liver failure, where dog presents with near death, ALT tests 10 times higher than normal, on a dog that does not have liver failure, and most certainly does not return to 100% normal as she has. (A). **** brand dog food changed their formula. I 'continued' to feed the changed formula for several weeks, enough time to build up possible toxins, my rescue had a seizure, and 2 days later my little girl had this acute liver attack. With ALT levels, bile acid test of complete liver failure. (B).I then changed to a dog food that had a formula for liver and seizure problems. 3 weeks later my dogs ALT test comes back 100%. Did the dog food that changed their formula cause this? It did happen after the change. The seizure in one and acute liver problems in the other. Did changing to different dog food, specially formulated for liver problems, bring her liver panels back to normal? Apparently so. I'm just confused, ticked off, and then amazed, that in 'my dogs situation' the dog food had a cause and effect, both bad and then good. My dog is alive, I have a showing on my house tomorrow....... soon......Very Soon.....I will be 'gone' and back on the road RV'ing Full Time, and I won't have time to share with you all the confusing issues I ran into about dog food on this forum.:B:B [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/RVn05/795e574c.gif[/img]

* This post was last edited 03/10/06 12:59am by rockhillmanor *   View edit history

poordevil

North Platte, NE

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/06 12:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow...I will continue feeding my 2 shelties Chicken Soup, have for 4 years and are happy, energetic, and healthy.

Provinces and States Visited

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/06 01:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ought to be in bed or at least the shower, but will pause long enough to say this... I do a lot of stuff with allergies. Over the past 3 years I have had many of my own cured, and learned to do this for myself and others. I've learned whole lot along the way. One thing I've learned is that indeed, you can be allergic to anything, just as they say on the Wysong page.

And I do mean anything from proteins/amino acids, common/known allergens like corn, wheat, peanuts and shrimp in people, to, oh, oxygen, blood (your own), your own organs, and all kinds of chemicals. In this context, "allergy" does not necessarily mean itching, though it can. It can also mean an inability to process certain substances (minerals, vitamins, hormones) and use needed nutrients correctly. It can occur at levels anywhere from something you'd never think of or notice, to major reactions, or just constant irritation and poor function.

So, you can feed the best food in the world, and your animal still could be allergic to any or all ingredients in it, and/or have internal processing issues that might involve various organs and functions. Hally, my youngest dog, had a problem with fats, with amino acids, and with giardia. With all that fixed I've finally got her to a normal weight, and its been nearly a year since her last (hopefully LAST) bout with giardia.

So considering that, Rock, I would say.... a change in formula, especially if your dog has an allergy to a new ingredient and/or some internal allergies, could definitely prove disastrous. And removing that allergen, assuming that permanent/major tissue damage hadn't occurred beyond the point of no return, could relieve the symptoms PDQ. AS could possibly adding in something that the dog doesn't process well and so needs more of.

My sister's Pom had seizures from puppyhood. They'd been severe before I met him, less so while he was living with me (eating raw food) and then Sis moved out, had babies and needless to say she wasn't uncooking for the dog with twin boys.... Until she got him his shots one day and a few days later he was having seizure after seizure. After a weekend of emergency vets, phenobarb and subQ fluids, he was improved, but still seizing, and I put my foot down. He'd eat raw, regardless. After that I made his food myself and he didn't have another seizure for years. I think he's had two since then.

He did, however, develop respiratory problems last year, at which time I grilled my sis and found they'd been adding kibble to his raw diet. "Natural" kibble, but still kibble with grains and all. He ended up on steroids and antibiotics for a week. He's off the kibble now and much better, no meds. I didn't know half what I did about this stuff even two months ago, so I have no idea what it is that does it. But I do know, the wrong stuff in that dog is a disaster. One of these days hopefully I'll get time to figure it out.

So, if Solid Gold works for your babies, feed it. If you really really want control of what they eat, you have to make it yourself, but if you've found a commercial food that agrees, then you're golden. And you won't need to do what I did when I moved into the rv, buy a 5 cu freezer, and find a place in the rv to keep it!

As far as the arguments from Wysong, I will say, corn, soy and chicken products are very common allergens. Chickens have dna in common with eggs, which are used in making vaccines, which are designed to create an exagerated immune response. So little surprise that related substances are often not well received. And you can be allergic to corn, but also allergic to lysine, which would not make their special corn a big improvement. Muscle testing is a great tool for deciding what ingredients to avoid, but if you don't have that available, you're pretty much forced into trial and error.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, Eureka, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/06 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[b]Nope. Nope nope nope . . . not gonna do it. Ya can't make me! :p

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/06 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Code2High wrote:

I ought to be in bed or at least the shower, but will pause long enough to say this... I do a lot of stuff with allergies. Over the past 3 years I have had many of my own cured, and learned to do this for myself and others. I've learned whole lot along the way. One thing I've learned is that indeed, you can be allergic to anything, just as they say on the Wysong page.

And I do mean anything from proteins/amino acids, common/known allergens like corn, wheat, peanuts and shrimp in people, to, oh, oxygen, blood (your own), your own organs, and all kinds of chemicals. In this context, "allergy" does not necessarily mean itching, though it can. It can also mean an inability to process certain substances (minerals, vitamins, hormones) and use needed nutrients correctly. It can occur at levels anywhere from something you'd never think of or notice, to major reactions, or just constant irritation and poor function.

So, you can feed the best food in the world, and your animal still could be allergic to any or all ingredients in it, and/or have internal processing issues that might involve various organs and functions. Hally, my youngest dog, had a problem with fats, with amino acids, and with giardia. With all that fixed I've finally got her to a normal weight, and its been nearly a year since her last (hopefully LAST) bout with giardia.

So considering that, Rock, I would say.... a change in formula, especially if your dog has an allergy to a new ingredient and/or some internal allergies, could definitely prove disastrous. And removing that allergen, assuming that permanent/major tissue damage hadn't occurred beyond the point of no return, could relieve the symptoms PDQ. AS could possibly adding in something that the dog doesn't process well and so needs more of.

My sister's Pom had seizures from puppyhood. They'd been severe before I met him, less so while he was living with me (eating raw food) and then Sis moved out, had babies and needless to say she wasn't uncooking for the dog with twin boys.... Until she got him his shots one day and a few days later he was having seizure after seizure. After a weekend of emergency vets, phenobarb and subQ fluids, he was improved, but still seizing, and I put my foot down. He'd eat raw, regardless. After that I made his food myself and he didn't have another seizure for years. I think he's had two since then.

He did, however, develop respiratory problems last year, at which time I grilled my sis and found they'd been adding kibble to his raw diet. "Natural" kibble, but still kibble with grains and all. He ended up on steroids and antibiotics for a week. He's off the kibble now and much better, no meds. I didn't know half what I did about this stuff even two months ago, so I have no idea what it is that does it. But I do know, the wrong stuff in that dog is a disaster. One of these days hopefully I'll get time to figure it out.

So, if Solid Gold works for your babies, feed it. If you really really want control of what they eat, you have to make it yourself, but if you've found a commercial food that agrees, then you're golden. And you won't need to do what I did when I moved into the rv, buy a 5 cu freezer, and find a place in the rv to keep it!

As far as the arguments from Wysong, I will say, corn, soy and chicken products are very common allergens. Chickens have dna in common with eggs, which are used in making vaccines, which are designed to create an exagerated immune response. So little surprise that related substances are often not well received. And you can be allergic to corn, but also allergic to lysine, which would not make their special corn a big improvement. Muscle testing is a great tool for deciding what ingredients to avoid, but if you don't have that available, you're pretty much forced into trial and error.

VERY, VERY well said. Thanks for taking the time to write it down and sharing your experience/knowledge regarding this, with the forum, instead of just showering and going to bed early.[emoticon] Thanks.

FYI: If anyone is interested here is the ingredients list for the formula I chose to put her on during her episode, and will most likely continue to use for all the dogs, depending if it maintains coat and weight on the healthy ones!

oatmeal, rye, manhaden fish, potatoes, salmon oil sesame oil almond oil, pumpkin, lentils,and various fruits and the vitamins.
Protein 18% Fat 6% which is half of what the other dog food had.

(This dog food IS for a 'specific problem' and I wouldn't recommend that all dogs be on this type of formula dog food

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Really want to get confused about dog food ingredients?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.