RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: "Dog Whisperer" program on National Geographic

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> "Dog Whisperer" program on National Geographic

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/06 12:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a new addiction now thanks to you folks in this forum. I watched my first episode last week but missed the first 15 minutes of it. Tonight, it seems to be a marathon of back-to-back episodes and I am thoroughly enjoying each segment.

For the yet uninitiated, I am of course referring to Cesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer program and that is a link to his website. It is regularly shown on the National Geographic network at 8PM both Pacific and Eastern Time zones. I apparently lucked out tonight catching this marathon.

It's true that I don't have a dog at this time though have had several in the recent past. That is a very long story I will tell sometime but this program addiction is definitely having its positive affect!

....RVSnowbird

Buz2b

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/06 12:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, we're going to be getting a dog after our trip this summer and the DW is a BIG FAN of The Dog Whisperer". She says she is "doing all the research" for our soon to be pet. [emoticon]

2005 F-150, Factory Tow Package
2006 Keystone Z271 Zeppelin II
Bill, Pixie, Honeybun the rescue and our DOTL cat Pita

Buzz-ette

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/06 12:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

God bless TIVO. DH is setting it up to record the Dog Wisperer for me so I can watch it more often. It still conflicts with some of our programs even though we can record two programs at a time!!

1980 Dodge Xplorer
Pixie Honeybun (Rat Terrier) and Itsa (kitty)

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/06 01:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its an eye-opener, isn't it? The thing that always fascinates me, besides how good Mr Millan is, is how any breed of dog.... Chi to Dane, can be turned into a menace by well meaning but ignorant humans. And then its just so, so, so... LA! The humans are just classic for around here.

The one I really liked tonight was the Min-Pin on the treadmill. Too funny! I'm tempted to try and teach my two to walk on one. Be good for the pup on rainy days.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

DaYooper

Land of Trolls, below the Big Mac bridge

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/06 03:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's quite interesting to watch his show. You may want to check out his web site http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/. There is a link there listing seminars that he'll be doing and he travels quite abit. The price varies, but the one near us is $80, some are more. Think I might attend.

hwybnb

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/06 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, it is terrific show that should be required viewing for dog owners. Each episode documents how Millan interveins in "problem dog" situations. He claims that he rehabilitates the owners, not the dogs, but the results are amazing.

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/06 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well! That was fun and exciting. The weather here is very cold and stormy, and we've had hail once already, so a walk is not in the program for the day. However, my two maniacs do need regular exercise and they become antsy without it... and last night's episode gave me the bright idea to try them out on the treadmill.

I can't say it was a big hit with the girls. Their attitude seemed to be that either feet should move, or machines should move, but not both. And a moving floor, well that was just a menace, they assured me. I tried treats/lures to get them moving forward, but to no avail. Finally, I just moved on to making all other options (besides walking on the treadmill) unavailable. I'm sure I didn't do it nearly as well as Mr. Millan would have, but it worked.

They both walked long enough to burn off some steam. Tigger even got relaxed enough to yawn a couple of times, which is a good sign. Neither of them has developed a real enthusiasm for it, and it will definitely fall into the exercise/discipline categories, not the fun/affection ones. But for those days when I'm not able to get them out for a good walk outdoors, its a viable option.

One thing I didn't manage was to get them to trot. Increasing the speed only caused them to walk faster, until they'd get panicky and try to bolt. Can't get that gait change. Maybe another day... at least for today they aren't so nutso, and a little later I'll take them to Petsmart for some fun.

Tsalla Apopka

Crystal River, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/06 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting show with a really good producer and editor.
Just be aware that there are many folks that don't think the show methods are safe. I haven't seen that many of the shows but in that one he did at least two things that could get a less capable trainer hurt.

Denny & Karen
Florida's Beautiful "Nature Coast"
Brit,TDI,BH & Claire,TDI (Belgian Sheepdogs)
Merlot - Sheltie rescue
Glady(Morgan Mare - retired),Toes & Beemer(Barn Cats-retired)
WA4OMG (Old Mangy Goat)

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/06 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got hooked watching last year. We were lucky to meet him in person.
They had a seminar in Cookville, TN. last fall. He is a very interesting person.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/06 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tsalla Apopka wrote:

I haven't seen that many of the shows but in that one he did at least two things that could get a less capable trainer hurt.

I'm not sure Cesar sees himself as a dog "trainer". I think he considers himself a "dog psychologist". Although I think he does train humans. To quote him, "I rehabilitate dogs. I train people".

I agree, most trainers would be putting themselves at risk if they attempted some of the things that Cesar does. But given the 'problem' is usually the human and assuming the human contributes to the dog's problem, Cesar is likely reasonably safe because he usually initially takes the human out of the picture (with seriously affected dogs) and focuses on the dog. And it's very interesting that sometimes the dog will become 'normal' and when the human is re-introduced, the problem recurs.

Cesar will soon have a book out ... visit the Dog Physchology Center site to preorder.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> "Dog Whisperer" program on National Geographic
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.