RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Your memorable rescue stories....

RV Blog


RV Sales




RV Parks


RV Club


RV Buyers Guide


Roadside Assistance


Extended Service Plan


RV Travel Assistance


RV Credit Card


RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

 > Your memorable rescue stories....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Sponsored By:

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2004

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/06 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have rescued so many of my pets from so many different circumstances I am sure others have as well. I have shared a few of my stories here on the board but I would love to hear your about your rescued furkids as well. So please share!!

Here is one selection from our current house FULL of rescues:

Our black cat Blanca (get it?) came to us one hot summer day while we were walking about a mile from home. She was an itty bitty flea bitten, mangy, starved looking kitten with a HUGE meow. We had three dogs with us and this tiny kitten was so desperate for food that she ran right up to us MEOWING her little head off! She simply was starving and desperate so she at least deserved a meal, right? She never once acted nervous around our dogs even though she was being sniffed all over! I picked up that tiny speck of a kitten, put her up on my shoulder and she began to purr the sweetest purr.... Well that in itself earned her at least a meal, I thought to myself. She rode on my shoulder all the way home, we even stopped along the the way at a few houses to ask if anyone around there knew where she lived. She stood still on my shoulder and only once put a claw out to stabilize herself but never stopped that constant purr. Every now and then she would softly say "Mee" but she never stopped purring. When we got back to our house she first drank almost half a bowl of water (poor thing must have been so thirsty) and then she slowly nibbled on some kibble. I bathed her to get rid of most of the fleas, put her in the spare bedroom to keep her away from our cat until our vet looked her over. She never made a sound that night but the next morning when I opened that door she smiled at me and said "Mee". She had won my very heart by then. Thankfully the vet said she was pretty healthy after another bath and a treatment to rid her of a few parasites.

I named her Blanca (remember she is a black cat) because she was just the opposite of what a kitten her age should be... she was loving, quiet, and full of purrs. Once she recovered from being almost starved to death she was a very playful little sister to our Lhasa. We also call her "Me Me Kitty" because to this day she talks to us with "Mee", not meows like that first day she wanted our attention but small, very petite "Mees"....

What a great cat Blanca is, I am so glad we found each other that hot summer day.

Ok now it is your turn to share a story.....

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.



Senior Member

Joined: 02/17/2002

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/06 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dad called me a few years ago, and he sounded kinda down. He lived over 1,000 miles from all of us kids. His divorce had become final, and his cat hadn't been home in a couple of days. I told him he needed someone to come home to, that he needed a cat. During our conversation, he became convinced he needed a new cat, and was going to go to the humane assoc. the next day. He said he'd never had a calico cat, and that was what he was going to look for.

He called back a few days later and told me he'd found Mitzi, a grey tabby. He said she stole his heart. A couple of weeks later he was hospitalized with congestive heart failure. Mitzi went to live with his ex-wife. It was kind of a bad situation.

We went down to visit, and, well, as we were making funeral arrangements, the ex-wife said she she couldn't have to keep the cat. Since the cat was my idea, I felt responsible for her.

She turned out to be the cutest thing!!! We packed her up and brought her back home to Wisconsin (from Arkansas) with us. She put up with a couple of days in different hotels with people she'd never met before (us). The only time she complained was Sunday morning, when we were on the road. The only music on the radio was bagpipes, and she let us know she really didn't like it! We changed the station, and she was fine. She is still the happiest, most easy going cat we've ever had!!

aka: turboladybug
Traveling with Poodles: Oscar the toy and Felix the mini
Travel Trailer: Holiday Rambler Alumascape 29FKS

butterfly girl

Oxnard, Calif. USA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/17/2004

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/06 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is our story...

We got our little dog Poky one rainy night the 2nd of Jan. at 10 p.m. when we watched someone put food on some Railroad track along a busy street and drive away..My DH was watching out the window and said that there was something on the tracks...after the car left we opened the door...(around here you don't open doors at night to check on thing like that it might get you Shot...)..there was this little dog...we think that he is Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix...so laid back and quiet...He has turned in to a wonderful RVing Dog..he isn't a big barker or hyper....and he Loves to go Camping...


"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page


Perry, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/31/2004

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/06 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked as an animal abuse investigator for the SPCA for a while. I learned one thing: people who mistreat animals have little concern for any species. I took animals from so many scumbags. They always threatened me, usually while their battered spouse and children cowered in the background. My camp dog Sam is a rescue. $5.00 bought him, $1000.00 kept him alive!

2010 F150 Super Cab, 2010 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab. 30' Dutchman Lite BH
Me, Her, and 3 kids (Jake 11, Madeleine 8, and Luke 5 years) and Rusty (Sam our camp dog 63 dog years old RIP old Buddy)!


Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2004

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/06 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just LOVE hearing about these great pets that y'all have rescued, keep the stories coming! [emoticon]

RobG I have ridden in the truck several times with the Dallas SPCA animal abuse investigator and I know exactly what you are talking about.... it is so sad and beyond cruel what people are capable of....


Here is another story I shared a month or so ago about a dog that I will never, ever forget. I will dance with him at the Rainbow Bridge one fine day...

A dog I had the pleasure of sharing my life with was a real character. He came into my life by hanging around the employee parking lot of a Lincoln-Mercury dealership where I worked MANY years ago. I would go eat my lunch in my car almost every day to avoid the high price of eating out and enjoy listening to the radio. One day a small tan dog that looked to be a dacshund mix (or something like that) came and sat right outside my driver's door while I was on my lunch break. Being the "sucker" that I am I fed him part of my sandwich. Now this was in a part of Dallas where there were hotels, car dealers, shopping malls, some warehouses but not any houses or apartments. I was surprised to see such a dog in that area. Well as many dogs will, he came back the next day, right on time to see if I would share my lunch. I was more prepared that day, I had brought a margarine tub of water with me. This went on for a few days, every day at lunch there he was. Yes... I started bringing dog food by day three. I put up signs at nearby businesses and called the newspaper to place an ad. Remember I was young so I wasn't completely focused... it hadn't occured to me to take the dog home. As far as I was concerned, I was just feeding it until I could find it's owner.

Well, on Friday afternoon when I got off work there he was! I had never seen him other than at lunch. As I opened the door to my car to leave this smart little dog jumped in! I couldn't believe it! Somehow he must have known I wouldn't be back for a couple days to share my lunch with him so he made the decision for me... he was coming home with me. I drove home and when we arrived he got out of the car, ran up to the front door like he had been there a thousand times and began what would come to be known as his dance. He was so joyful and happy, how could I not fall in love with him?!

I named that little tan boy Mr. Bo Jangles (as in the man who dances in the old song) and we spent the next 18 years together. He was a very smart dog (as you can tell) and was my first real heart dog.... I still cry when I think of him but it isn't necessarily out of loss but from the memories of the many years we spent together.

Here is his song, and every time I hear it in my mind's eye I see that tan dog that I lovingly called Jangles dance.

Lyrics for Song: Mr. Bojangles

I knew a man Bojangles and he'd dance for you
In worn out shoes
With silver hair, a ragged shirt, and baggy pants
The old soft shoe
He jumped so high, jumped so high
Then he lightly touched down

I met him in a cell in New Orleans I was
down and out
He looked to me to be the eyes of age
as he spoke right out
He talked of life, talked of life, he laughed
clicked his heels and stepped

He said his name "Bojangles" and he danced a lick
across the cell
He grabbed his pants and spread his stance,
Oh he jumped so high and then he clicked his heels
He let go a laugh, let go a laugh
and shook back his clothes all around

Mr. Bojangles, Mr. Bojangles
Mr. Bojangles, dance

He danced for those at minstrel shows and county fairs
throughout the south
He spoke through tears of 15 years how his dog and him
traveled about
The dog up and died, he up and died
And after 20 years he still grieves

He said I dance now at every chance in honky tonks
for drinks and tips
But most the time I spend behind these county bars
'cause I drinks a bit
He shook his head, and as he shook his head
I heard someone ask him please

Mr. Bojangles, Mr. Bojangles
Mr. Bojangles, dance..


What an awesome dog.....



Beautiful El Paso, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 08/09/2004

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/06 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One dark, rainy night, while driving down a two lane road near our home, I caught a glimpse of a small animal walking down the middle of the road. I stopped the car and Annie jumped in and settled herself on top of my grocery sacks. My plan was to take her home, put an ad in the paper, and not (!) add her to our collection of 3 dogs and 3 cats currently in residence (all from the animal shelter…)

Annie smelled so bad, the first order of business, even before putting the groceries away, was a bath. During her bath, I saw that her about half her hair was gone, her chain collar was imbedded in her neck at one point, and one eye was closed and infected. Still, she was sweet and loving.

The next morning, Annie and I went to the vet. I wore my “Humane Society” t-shirt hoping to get a price break on what I knew would be a small fortune. At the vet’s office, I learned that Annie was “familiar” as belonging to a local puppy mill, one in the eye of the authorities, but one that was still operating. We didn’t know if she had escaped or was dumped, but it was decided not to let the previous owners know we had her.

The vet told us Annie was a Yorkie “breeder,” about 7 years old. Her eye was removed; she was spayed, and got all the usual things those of us who care give to our pet. The plan was to put Annie in an adopt-a-pet and hope for the best. Long story short, in no time, Annie became our 4th dog. Yes, we were nuts! But she was a sweetheart.

Our orphan, Annie, never learned to play during the few years we had her. She was scared to death of water hoses and brooms and very protective of her spot on the sofa near me. We took good care of her and she added a lot to our lives. She died in my lap of congestive heart failure after too short a time.

Side note: the woman who ran the puppy mill was a collector. Twice since then, she has faced charges for animal cruelty., She has moved her “business” several times…and most likely is still operating today somewhere near here. So sad.


way upstate new york/lake george area

Senior Member

Joined: 02/28/2005

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/06 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we already have to many cats now but a black and white cat showed up, we seen it running around for a couple of days,and I mean run she was very fast and nervous and acted very scared around every one she did have a flea collar,we tryed to find the owner and could not,she liked kids but not adults very much,there was a family that moved out down the street aways so we thought they just left her on her own,so we just ended up adding another member to the group late last fall or someone droped her off leaveing a young cat to fend for herself at the beginning of winter,she made herself at home and gets along with the others well but still not as friendly as ours yet,the other day another cat of ours got on the roof somehow and couldnt get down,the older cats climb the ladder on the back of the rv and get on the roof they followed me up there one day to see what i was doing and have been doing ever since and jump to the garage roof the younger one must have found his way up the same way and coulnt get down so i had to go up and get him off the roof,we just had a large litter of kittens mostly white ones if any one wants one.

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

SAR Tracker

Central Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2003

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/06 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a Chow/Malamute mix a few years ago that we had to put down due to cancer. Went to the pound a couple of weeks later “just to look” one Saturday morning, and saw a Chow/Shepard mix in the cage labeled “#1”. Asked to see her, and sat on the ground playing for a few minutes when the attendant came back to say that this particular dog wasn’t available. Why? She was supposed to have been put down the previous Friday night. Took some convincing to get them to cross her number off the list, and let us take her home. Of course, this unexpected joy in our family got the name “Serendipity”

Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)


Cloverdale, IN, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2004

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/06 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a house in the middle of nowhere about a year ago and when we moved we took our vacant doghouse with us. We don't do inside pets and have very active lifestyles so we really weren't looking for a dog but apparently one was looking for us.
On my way to work one evening I saw a little black dog in the road about a mile from the house but didn't think much of it. Then about 2 days later I noticed a little black nose sticking out of our doghouse. I felt bad for her since I knew she had been dumped at least 2 days ago so I took her some food and water.
I guess a car must have hit her because one of her back legs was hurt and she wouldn't walk on it. Since she was only using 3 legs at the time the kids and I named her Tripod. We nursed her back to health, took her to get her shots and have her fixed, and installed invisible fence to keep her out of the road. My wife and I both kept saying that we would find a new home for her but a year later she's still here.
She's just too sweet to get rid of but I do feel bad for her sometimes since we are on the go a lot.

Happy camping all!

2000 F-550 4X4 Super Hauler Conversion
2004 Wilderness Advantage AX6 38 Ft. Quad Slide Fifth Wheel
1993 Chevy 2500 Suburban 4X4 7.4L
1999 Maxum Marine 2100SR 5.7L
2004 Jaguar S-Type 4.2L V8
2006 Jeep Liberty Limited 4X4
Obviously not badge specific!



Senior Member

Joined: 12/19/2004

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/06 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of my dogs are rescued. The one with the most poignant story is "Peanut", a beautiful little mini dachshund who was found living in the woods in winter near death.

The people who found him read his collar with his name and owner's phone number. They called. A man answered who said, "Yeah, that was my wife's dog. I hated that damned dog because she instantly loved the dog more than me. I traded him for a coondog at the flea market."

No telling how this tiny little dog ended up in the woods, but he did. The people who found him in December lived on the edge of the woods, and not being dog lovers who had ever had an animal, let him sleep on a rug on the back porch. He was too sick to eat they said. He lived like that outdoors until New Year's Day.

They mentioned the dog to a neighbor who knows me and that I have dachshunds, then called me and asked if I could help find a home for him. I instantly said that I would try to find a dachshund rescue group and told them to bring him over.

He was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. He weighed 3 and a quarter pounds and didn't look like he would live through the night. He was a skeleton. Made his huge brown eyes look even bigger.

It was too late to get him to the vet then as it was evening and New Year's Day, so I had to do something.

I immediately got him into the house and warmed him on a heating pad, then decided to see if he could keep a little food down. I picked him up and held him with a bite of bland scrambled egg. He lunged for it like he had never seen food before!

Long story short, Peanut wasn't about to go to rescue group as he had found a home! Three years later he know weighs 11 pounds and he's a beautiful specimen of dachshund with a personality that blows total strangers away. He loves to kiss everyone he meets, and will drive a stranger crazy until picked up so he can give a kiss. Seriously!

Naturally, he sees me as his salvation, and I guess I was. That first night when time to go to sleep, I put him in a box with a blanket beside my bed and talked to him for a bit. As soon as the lights went off, he cried. Picked him up and held in my arms under the covers, and he went straight to sleep. Been sleeping just like that now for 3 years. Drives me nuts not being able to turn over in bed without asking for permission, but I think he earned that place with all the hell he went though.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

 > Your memorable rescue stories....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.