|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> travelling over border with new dog

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
freewilley

AZ in winter, ON in summer

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/06 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just became dog owners in advance of our snowbirding next winter...
We are going into the States for a few days at month end...

Can anyone advise what papers we need to get the dog into the US from Canada and back again? Shots are up to date and she is going to the Vet in 3 days to be spayed..

thanks for the advice!

Willy

FreeWilley
2007 Classic Silverado Duramax
1999 Holiday Rambler Alumalite 33FKS Travel Trailer
Hensley hitch, inflatable kayak, Burgman 400 scooter
Yamaha 3000 iSEB generator
Prodigy P3 brake controller

Cargie

Dutton, ON Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/06 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My hubby is a transport driver and used to take our little cock-a-poo with him. All he needed was a Vet certified paper copy of his vaccinations, have extra copies just in case. You may need to show his/her dog tag which verifies he's registered to a specific Cdn location. He always brought those documents to cross at the border each way, but no-one ever asked for anything.

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/06 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rabies shots are what is essential.

Yes, my vet advised having a signed certificate of good health. Luke Porter worries about the semantics of this because he reads the regulations differently than that vet.

There are times when there is more worry about pet food than others. The regulations for border guards saying you can't bring pet food over can easily be put in place. Watch that one via news, ie, avian flu or bird flu. With the luck of the draw, I got asked about dog food last year when many were saying "no that won't happen".

The other side of the coin is where you are going. Check with veterinary authorities in that area and get your pet what is important there. For example, many parts of the States have concern about heart worm, which isn't always a concern here. But you can put protection for those things in place before you go.

[emoticon]

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

okanagan bc

Penticton,BC.Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/06 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rabies shots are the most important, also no dog food made in Canada.We get checked or asked about dog food every trip but seldom have to show papers, but always carry them.

Steveque

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/06 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not yet crossed a border. But, when I travel here in the states, I always carry all my dog's records in the car with me. Heart worm is a serious problem in the States, most everywhere. So are ticks. They carry Lymne disease,Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever,and more. Fleas can be a problem in some areas.

When I moved last summer, my vet gave me some antibiotics as we were leaving the pup in a kennel for a few days. Sure enough he got kennel cough and infected ears.

I did a search on the Internet for pet places where I could buy the dog food of choice. I did find enough that we did not have to carry 40 pound bags. I have an ESS that likes to eat - sometimes.

Steve Quesenberry
Central California

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> travelling over border with new dog
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.