|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Diamond Dog Food Products

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JAguirre

Lakewood, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/06 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those who feed any Diamond Pet Products, the recent dog food scare is not over. Diamond products include but are not limited to:

Chicken soup
Nutro
Mother Hubbard
Eagle Pet
Cosco Kirkland brand
Saturn Pet food (germany)
Scanbio ASA (norway)
Timberwolf Organics (unfortunately)

Read this link for more information.

Recent (3/6/06) Diamond Dog Food Scare

BCDogMom

Homestead FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/06 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you click on the link and scroll way down, someone made a correction that it should be "Nutra" not Nutro. Scared me for a minute! Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Bonnie and Chris
2004 Teton Reliance Grand
2000 Volvo 610
Barklee - 3/20/96-6/24/11 at the bridge
Jack - 10 year old Border Collie
Lucy and Kaley - the resident furballs

Nedra

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/06 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Natural Balance Dog food and contacted them yesterday to find out who makes/packs their food and I was shocked to get a message back saying that their dry food is copacked by Diamond in California. Granted it's not the plant with the problems, but it is Diamond. So, perhaps you might want to add Natural Balance to the list!!!!

Alan & Nedra
Allie (Golden Retriever)
Shadow (Golden/Lab mix)
2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
2009 Ford Flex toad

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pyrographer wrote:

I use Natural Balance Dog food and contacted them yesterday to find out who makes/packs their food and I was shocked to get a message back saying that their dry food is copacked by Diamond in California. Granted it's not the plant with the problems, but it is Diamond. So, perhaps you might want to add Natural Balance to the list!!!!

No,No, Don't tell me that, I just switched to Natural Balance. My dogs love that Beef Roll shredded on there dry food. It's a keeper, can't disappoint the dogs.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/06 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 0.5 ppm the FDA would not require manufacturer's to do much since the FDA advisory level is 5 ppm.

Quote:

Another toxin to know is vomitoxin, which produces upset stomach especially in dogs. This toxin is produced by Fusarium bacteria growing in grain, especially wheat and barley. This toxin is also heat stable. Because of this toxin, the FDA has established a guideline that the grain and grain by-product composition of pet food should never exceed 40% thus restricting the amount of toxin that could be present in food. The FDA's advisory level of this toxin is 5 parts per million in pet food though many dogs can detect this toxin in amounts as low as 2 parts per million. In 1995, it was the presence of vomitoxin in contaminated grains that led to the recall of 16,000 tons of Nature's Recipe dog food and created much embarrassment for this company.

Source: Food Safety By Wendy C. Brooks, DVM, DipABVP

While vomitoxin causes GI distress, it does not appear to be lethal like alfatoxin. Vomitoxin appears to be associated with wheat more than corn; therefore; this may be a new scare not just a continuation.

Mark

* This post was edited 03/15/06 11:09am by BCSnob *

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Wendy the Kangal (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

deltamaster

Box Elder, SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/06 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This issue and the subsequent internet postings identifying all the brand names that Diamond distributes their products under will surely damage Diamond's reputation. This will certianly cause a drop in sales for products that may not have been contaminated at all.
Hopefully the company can recover and learn from this situation.

Just think if the internet were such a powerful force during the Tylenol Scare. That product and the company may not be in business any more.

"> I ride it like I stole it! ">
.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the food you're feeding does not have grains (wheat, corn, rice, flax, etc) you're safe from alfatoxin and vomitoxin; corn and wheat being the most likely sources of the toxins.

Mark

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

If the food you're feeding does not have grains (wheat, corn, rice, flax, etc) you're safe from alfatoxin and vomitoxin; corn and wheat being the most likely sources of the toxins.

Mark

I think Natural Balance is safe. How about dog biscuits. They have corn, wheat and all kinds of grains in them. I think these dog manufactures are out to get us. [emoticon]

JAguirre

Lakewood, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Mark

I hope you are right, Mark. I had just started supplementing with Timberwolf Organics (due to Canidae changing their formula) and was liking the results. I was very disheartened to hear this.

I'm telling you ... this just fuels my fire to go back to 100% raw all of the time.

Airbus 9e

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been feeding my dog Purina High Grade Senior diet....No problems....

It's the better grade food. I get it at PetCo, and for some reason, I can't remember the name....duh...I know it's senior diet though....

..."Money Talks...Mine says Goodbye."....

Is Trucking like RVing?....I think so....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Diamond Dog Food Products
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.