|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Automatic cat food feeders

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Uppercrust

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/06 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does any one have one of these? If so what kind, where to find one, do they work & worth the investment? My 4 cats pig out when I leave food out for just 1 day & hate to see them go hungry for a whole weekend when gone camping.

* This post was edited 12/01/06 11:21am by an administrator/moderator *

2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF "> campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we leave food out all the time all day, when they get filled up they just come back and eat when they want i dont think ours eat more then they should,i made a large self feeder for when we go away for a couple of days ,and we have a dog waterer that has 2 two litter bottles on it that will last a few days,

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have to have an automatic cat to use one?

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the kind that has two compartments and a timer. When I got it, I went to try it out, so set it up at the same time I fed the cats, with a setting to feed them 12 hours later, as the catsitter would use. Boo (my big male tux) had it apart in 3 minutes.

There followed several rounds of reinforcing it. First, I taped it with duct tape to a large flat box, so he couldn't just knock it all over the room. Then I reinforced the hinges on the covers with duct tape so he couldn't pop them out. Then I added more duct tape. Then I coated the duct tape with tobasco so he couldn't eat it. Stop laughing!

Actually, with the tobasco it worked pretty well. Took an hour or two for him to get it open. I consider the activity "enrichment" but certainly wouldn't expect it to last long enough to feed them all weekend.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Hit The Road Jack

Treasure Coast of Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRUGG wrote:

Do you have to have an automatic cat to use one?

ROTFLMAO [image]

2006 DIY Dodge Badged Sprinter Conversion

Airbus 9e

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the vets I used to know discouraged auto feeders....of any kind....for 2 reasons....

1.) Most pets will eat till they explode if given an unlimited supply..

2.) Having your pet associate you with food is a good thing...Makes the Human/pet bond stronger....

I worked in the Vet/Animal supply business for over 15 years....I've know quite a few people in the Biz....

..."Money Talks...Mine says Goodbye."....

Is Trucking like RVing?....I think so....

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Code2High wrote:

I have the kind that has two compartments and a timer. When I got it, I went to try it out, so set it up at the same time I fed the cats, with a setting to feed them 12 hours later, as the catsitter would use. Boo (my big male tux) had it apart in 3 minutes.

There followed several rounds of reinforcing it. First, I taped it with duct tape to a large flat box, so he couldn't just knock it all over the room. Then I reinforced the hinges on the covers with duct tape so he couldn't pop them out. Then I added more duct tape. Then I coated the duct tape with tobasco so he couldn't eat it. Stop laughing!

Actually, with the tobasco it worked pretty well. Took an hour or two for him to get it open. I consider the activity "enrichment" but certainly wouldn't expect it to last long enough to feed them all weekend.

You got to be kidding, how funny. [emoticon][emoticon]

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

tigerfans2

Topeka, Ks., UNITED STATES of AMERICA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Automatic cat food feeders"

I guess that would be me?????? [emoticon]

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess we're fortunate ... we have always just left kibble out all the time for Fang to nibble whenever. Plus she gets a little soft food (couple tablespoons) twice a day (6 a.m. and 6 p.m.).

If we forget the a.m. & p.m. feeding, a very shrill alarm goes off. There's no resetting this alarm either. It just continues on and on. The only way to shut it off is to put some Fancy Feast in the cat bowl. Then the alarm shuts off as it's busy nibbling away on its fresh food.

When we leave for four or five days, I just fill a huge bowl with kibble. If my dad is going to be around I ask him to give her a little soft food each day, but I don't fret if he can't do it. She gets along just fine, either way. I don't know if the alarm sounds when we aren't home ...

And even though Fang can free feed on kibble, she's considered underweight by our vet ... she's around 7 or 8 pounds.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

dfb

gardnerville

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/06 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airbus 9e wrote:

Most of the vets I used to know discouraged auto feeders....of any kind....for 2 reasons....

1.) Most pets will eat till they explode if given an unlimited supply..

2.) Having your pet associate you with food is a good thing...Makes the Human/pet bond stronger....

I worked in the Vet/Animal supply business for over 15 years....I've know quite a few people in the Biz....

We leave the food bowels filled with dry... The cats eat only what they want and leave...Later they return for more.. Had Kattie 16 plus years this way...Never over weight,,,, Now have 2 Ragdoll kittens and they eat til satisfied and then return later... They know it is ALWAYS there so they don't overeat...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Automatic cat food feeders
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.