RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: A Little dog!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> A Little dog!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
tec12

. Old N.Y.Catskill Mt.Boyl

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/06 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking of getting a little dog. Was wondering what might be a good choice to live with the wife and me in the coach? I've always had Labs or Bulls Biggens never had any experience with a little bugger!!!!! Any suggestions. Something smart and maybe a little aggressive

* This post was edited 11/30/06 08:32pm by an administrator/moderator *

rmw1990

East Central Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/06 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a miniature dachund. She is very smart and thinks she is as big as our cow dogs. They are territorial little monsters. LOL They can be bad about barking too much if not taught early. Ours only weighs 7lbs and is two years old.
JAS

2000 F250 4X4 CC 7.3PSD
07 Jayco Jayflight 28 RBS

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/06 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found our pug to be the ideal little traveler.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

snowhawkwoman

Lyons, KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/06 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Yorkie - 5# of absolute adorability! She's a great traveling companion, isn't a barker, loves to sleep in your lap, great personality and doesn't take up much room!! Other nice thing - they don't shed - their hair is like ours - just continues to grow. Easy to wash in the small RV sinks too - as long as you brush them a few times each week their coats stay really nice (of course with a 5# dog - takes about 2 minutes to brush them!!) Plus - being so tiny - you can train them on those "piddle pads" you can pick up at Walmart. Then if it's really rainy out - you can put the piddle pad down by the door on the linoleum and they can do their thing - you don't have to go out in the rain!! (LOL - unfortunately we also have 2 golden retrievers and a dachsund/terrier mix that travel with us and they don't do the piddle pad - I was out slogging thru mud this morning with them at the campground in the rain!) I also have 2 long-haired dachsunds - they are very mellow - but not good travelers (both tend to get car sick)and they are elderly - so getting up and down the stairs of the MH would be a problem - dachsunds tend to have back problems as they age. Our tiny Yorkie has no problems bounding up the stairs. We have a big GMC 4x4 pickup and she can leap from the ground to the floorboards on her own!! Only drawback - Yorkies - even "pet quality" are kind of highdollar animals. And the first few months you have them you have to be so careful - we got her at 2# and had to make sure we didn't step on her or let her jump off furniture (they can break a leg when they are tiny) My husband is a big dog man (thus the 2 goldens) - but he's absolutely nutty about Phoebe - she loves to sleep on his stomach! Yorkie's also like to chase small animals - they were bred to be ratters in the mines. (so ours terrorizes our cats!) Remember to really research the breed before you get it. Terriers tend to be very territorial - they will protect their home (which might include barking A LOT!) Jack Russell's - too cute for words - but super high energy dogs who have a need to run and are "time consuming" - they want your TIME!!! There are lots of small dogs out there too choose from!

"> Snowhawkwoman
"> Big Owl
"> dogs Xena,Phoebe,Spooker,Skippy,Zoe,Taz
"> Punky - the amazing insane Rving Squirrel
1997 Fleetwood Jamboree 29'
The traveling Zoo!

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/06 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always thought I wouldn't like Chihuahuas but Don wanted one so now we have Maggie - weighs all of 4 1/2 lbs but thinks she is a doberman sometimes (she is black/tan, after all!). She & I had a lot of discussions about who was going to be boss but once I won that battle, she has turned into a very sweet and loving little dog. She loves just about everyone and thinks they all love her. She is such a happy little thing that you get a kick out of just watching her. She is definitely a lap dog - prefers mine, but Don's is good and if we aren't available, whoever is handy will work! As a breed they can be snippy, but I believe if they are raised correctly that won't happen. And you can carry them in a small purse shaped carrier and take them just about anywhere.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

Red Cobra 10

Springboro,Ohio 45066

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/06 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with a 16# Terrier that thinks he wighs 50#s. Very smart, and territorial,if you can imagine !

TheKellys90

Dothan, AL

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/06 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Cairn Terrier. (Toto - Wizzard of Oz) Not much of a barker and not aggressive either. Depends on how you raise them. No shedding problems. Had an Irish Terrier a long time ago. Not a barker - when an Irisher barks you better start looking around.

Coachmen Catalina Sport Class C
Pat & Celeste
"Briggs" (Cairn Terr.)

Qtrmidget

Newborn, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/06 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Toy Poodle, weighs 9.5 pounds. Very smart dog, quick learner, he can be protective. But he loves to go camping, and the great thing about poodles is they DONT shed at all.!!!! I Never was a Poodle person, but after having a cat that shed sooooo bad, I did some research on small house dogs that didnt shed to bad.

I think you would be happy with a poodle, but then again I think you would be happy with any dog if you are a dog lover. We also have a LAb, and have always had big dogs, and the poodle (Tazz) thinks he is just as big as the Lab. He rules him around like he's just as Big!

Jimmie & Pam "> & ">
22 Year old Son(Dakota)& his friends ">
Tazz (Spoiled Rotten Toy Poodle)">
Ditto Blk Lab-non camper">
Jagger Qtr Horse-non camper">
Partner Qtr Horse-non camper">

2004 Open Road 360RKDS
2006 F-350 PSD CC King Ranch FX4

Roamers II

Gilbert, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/06 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Chihuahua. Fernando does NOT bark psychotically when we leave him alone, which is rare. He does hate strangers and will bark psychotically when someone comes near. He gets to know people when they let him sniff their hand. Recently, there were break-ins at our campground but they didn't come near us. We are the only ones here with a dog. He is a great guard dog and loves to be walked. He doesn't shed much because he has short hair. He doesn't eat much because he begs so cutely. He sleeps with us. He is our "fur-kid". Very smart. We've taught him how to "walk" and "dance" which I think he interprets as "beg". I think the main difference in choice is the hair. Some people don't like to groom too much and that was a factor for us too. We didn't want to spend a lot of time with the hair.

Mexico 2006

jdcone

Riverside, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/06 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try the pound or rescue places. Bob the Wonder Dog is froma rescue place and he's the cat's meow when it comes to camping. Just tell him to go home...and off to the RV. Tell him to go to bed...off to bed. He's part palmeranian and whatever, all 15#'s of 'em.

Owners of Bob the Wonder Dog, and a bunch of other useless stuff.
1999 22' Tioga class C

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> A Little dog!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.