RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Battery box leak/repair/door upgrade/sliding trays/22photos

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Battery box leak/repair/door upgrade/sliding trays/22photos

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CTD Hauler

Turner, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/06 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another awesome job!

2005 Ram 2500 QC LB 4X4 CTD,rancho's,overloads,r/swaybar,airbags w/Dual incab control,35" Toyo M/T's,Torklift tiedowns,20K Reese hitch
1994 Snowbird 810 Truck camper
2007 Victory Lane 36SRV H5 5th Wheel Toyhauler
Ron

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/06 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

middlecalf wrote:

Did you consider adding insulation to the new compartment walls (inside) before installing?

No, I had not thought of insulating but now you have me thinking. When winter camping do the battery's need some of that warmth that migrates, to help them perform? If not sounds like a good idea.

rhode trip

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful Job!
I installed an onan microlite in the generator compartment of my Northern Lite last week, and was surprised when I cut through the metal lining to find that the plywood there was quite wet. That is the only spot I have found so far on this new-to-me 6 year old camper. My other vented doors have louvers which I hope are better at shedding the rain. The generator compartment has the grille style like your battery doors had. I'm checking the caulking in all of them now!

2002 Dodge 3500 CTD/DRW/
2000 Northern Lite 10-2000cd

www.LapelPinPlanet.com

ogrer

Norwood On

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent job. For a 1 year old camper that is surprising. Could you imagine if you had left it for another year? Did you seal the wood with anything? I really like the looms, I have been in electronics/electrical for a .....long time. A job as good as any I have seen.

Bob

Bob & Jan

middlecalf

Sweet, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spott wrote:

middlecalf wrote:

Did you consider adding insulation to the new compartment walls (inside) before installing?

No, I had not thought of insulating but now you have me thinking. When winter camping do the battery's need some of that warmth that migrates, to help them perform? If not sounds like a good idea.

Good point, maybe some heat is good. However, my truck batteries are not insulated. Not sure if deep cycle batteries require more TLC.

Does anyone know if basic construction issues with campers result in a requirement for the manufacturer to issue a recall? I know things like refers and stoves and such have that happen, but it would appear as though this issue of leaking doors and poorly sealed inserts might be a subject for a recall action. Waiting until a catastrophic event to happen is unreasonable, and I suspect that most dealers will attempt to solve the problem with simple squeezing in extra caulking like this case. To some extent this is a manufacturing quality issue (and NL's are the "only 5-star rated truck camper" - gee, I wonder what issues the other's have?), but even with automobiles and trucks, they recall items that are bad off of the assembly line. Are recalls complaint-based originated, or is there an omnibudsman organization that looks out after this sort of thing. My frustration is that unless I disassemble my unit, I don't know the extent of the damage, and I know I've had water in my compartments because it's pooled up in there after heavy rains. And the principal reason I bought a NL is because of the water-tight construction (built like a boat). I'd be willing to group together a complaint and take it to NL if that's what's needed.

middlecalf

Sweet, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've sent a note to NL hoping to open a discussion with them on this issue. I'll keep all posted. I believe this needs attention. I'm not able to assess what might have happened in my propane and battery compartments (the wood block in the bottom prevents me from determining how much water has entered and whether or not it's pooled up or gone internal). My storage compartment however had about a 1/4inch gap at the widest where the door frame meets the compartment liner, so the water definitely entered the interior. I've since repaired this with some aluminum sheet metal, pop rivets and silicon sealer, which works because now the water pools up in the compartment. But there shouldn't be water entering these compartments!!! ARG!

Testudo

Germantown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/06 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A darned sweet camper, 'spott'!

The paint looks fine (it's the act of painting that _counts_).

Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

Jeff3161

Pasco,Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/06 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow really nice pro job there. I don't understand why they built two boxes side by side in the first place unless it was structural. You took out the p-trap so you don't have a water seal from the gray water tank to the sink?

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/06 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeff3161 wrote:

You took out the p-trap so you don't have a water seal from the gray water tank to the sink?

Sorry for any confusion, No I didn't remove the p-trap. I had to remove the first cover I made because there wasn't enough height for the battery and slides due to the sharp angles, so I made a new cover out of the white PVC(the curves are just enough to get the room I needed). This cover only acts as a way of sealing the battery compartment from the camper interior.

Quote:

I don't understand why they built two boxes side by side in the first place unless it was structural.

The camper comes with one battery box. When you order a second battery I guess it's easiest to just punch a second hole and another door.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/06 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting that the mfg decided to do it that way....Bigfoot has a fiberglas enclosure, but no room vertically for 2 larger batteries....you have to stay with the group 27's.

We all have to watch those acess holes around our rv's.

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Battery box leak/repair/door upgrade/sliding trays/22photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.