RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dog = $38,000 over 10 years ????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Dog = $38,000 over 10 years ????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/06 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This article (very end of the article) indicates that a dog costs $38,000 over a 10 year period! I just can't see that being accurate! [emoticon]

Our Josey-girl was an expensive dog vet-wise. But I certainly don't think we invested $3,800 a year ($316/month)! Not even with all the medications and surgeries do I think we reached that total!

And with Chaos-dog, up until now, he's not cost us a thing beyond some shots every couple of years and his kibble dog food, which was about $40 every two months. Maybe now, with the bone cancer, we'll go beyond $3,800 in the year. Most of that cost will be the fresh meat and veggies, which has added $250 to our monthly food bill.

$38,000 over ten years? Nah. What about you and your pets?

Gee, $38,000 ... that's a pretty nice fiver ! [emoticon]

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Gunship Guy

Destin, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/06 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We take our dog to a rather pricey vet for all her shots, meds, etc. We also board her there when we take long camping trips. With all that there's no way it even comes close to $3800/yr.

2017 Weekend Warrior (by The RV Factory)
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10

Previous:

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 41'
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 38'
Volvo 770

Sulphur

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/06 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It just goes to show you that anyone can be an "expert" if they get published. $38,000? They must mean buying a Greyhound (bus, that is)

Allen Schultz

Divide, Colorado USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/06 11:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's in dog-dollars. You have to divide by 7.

02 K2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Long Bed. Rickson 19.5" wheels + Bridgestone R250's. Rancho 9000's, Hellwig Sway Bar & Leveling Springs. 02 Summerwind 8.5 Camper with extended cabover. Honda EU3000 runs 13,500 AC.

kenhall64

Magnolia, Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 04:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That $38,000 probably includes stuff like damage to carpet and furniture, decrease in value of house/RV for pet smells, lost wages going to vet, and lost time walking.

2006 Fleetwood Pegasus 190XP
2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
2004 Toyota Sienna
Wife and 6 year old son
Trek 5000 OCL Road Bike
Trek Mountain Bike

http://community.webshots.com/user/kenhall64

tigerfans2

Topeka, Ks., UNITED STATES of AMERICA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kenhall64 wrote:

That $38,000 probably includes stuff like damage to carpet and furniture, decrease in value of house/RV for pet smells, lost wages going to vet, and lost time walking.

[emoticon]

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, Eureka, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/06 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=Allen Schultz]That's in dog-dollars. You have to divide by 7.[/quote] [b]Now [u]that's[/u] funny! :B

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 9 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tigerfans2 wrote:

kenhall64 wrote:

[emoticon]

I agree Mike [emoticon]
You know for the life of me I will never figure out why people think they have to be so darned negative. If a person chooses not to have pets, good for them... we all know what they are missing... but to come to the pet forum and post something like the above is just silly isn't it?!

Cost of pet ownership = $3,800.00 (?) per year (not sure I buy into that number)
Cost of cleaning up after them = pennies per day (it's called housetraining)
Time spent enjoying a nice walk = $000 (other than the obvious health benefits to us)
The love, devotion, and companionship they provide = PRICELESS

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

Toni T

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/06 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The link in the article is to a paper in British Columbia called The Challiwack Progress so that the $38,000 is in Canadian dollars. This is a link to the original press report from Churchill Insurance which calculates the cost as 20,000 pounds http://www.churchill.com/pressReleases/07032005.htm. As has been suggested the original calculation includes everything from anticipated destruction of household items to grooming, boarding, medical care, and food. Your costs certainly may be significantly less. While the projected amount seems high, for pet lovers it is simply the cost of having a pet: "priceless" to overwork a phrase. For those considering a pet, it is well to know the potential price. Perhaps it would cut down on some of those second thoughts pets that end up in shelters. Although I believe that rescue is great, it also puts into perspective the decision to acquire a purebred dog. The original purchase price is negligible amortized over the life of a dog. It is also true that there is no such thing as a "free" dog if people are simply bargain hunting.

Toni T

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, Eureka, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/06 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[b]Toni, Some good things to think about for prospective dog "owners" to think about. I think the articles $38,000.00 grand total for ten years [u]is[/u] a bit on the high side for most cases, however. The concept of shopping for a "bargain" dog is an alien concept to me. :R Unfortunately, I am sure it happens.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Dog = $38,000 over 10 years ????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.