RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Best source for Dog friendly motels?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Best source for Dog friendly motels?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in CA, will be picking up new 5th Wheel in Montana in about a month. Will need to spend two or three nights in motels with our two Papillons. [while en-route to MT] Does anyone have a good source (reference) for locating dog-friendly motels? Internet site? [I have a AAA book - a bit old - called "Traveling With Your Pet". Not really too good, some listings even say, "no pets"! Any info/ideas appreciated! Thanks, JC

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

PJoseph

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the major chains. Holiday INN, Redroof, econolodge, Marriot Brands, Hilton Brand have websites that let you enter your route and specify dog friendly. It shows you what is available. Some tips. Call the hotel and speak to the manager. I have had website info be listed wrong. Reserve the room and claim the pet then. Most hotels have dedicated pet rooms that fillup. Most charge 10- 20 bucks for the pet fee. Some Marriots charge 75 fee! Watch out.

PJ
R-Vision / Trail Cruiser 30 QBSS
2001 Durango
Prodigy / Equalizer / Hellwigs / Bilstiens / Fastman VB

snowhawkwoman

Lyons, KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were trying to find hotels "before the RV" we would plan our route and approximate driving time - then go to the internet yellow pages of the town we would be staying in - get the list of hotels (some towns' chamber of commerce websites also have links to their hotels) - then a little emailing to find pet friendly hotels.

"> Snowhawkwoman
"> Big Owl
"> dogs Xena,Phoebe,Spooker,Skippy,Zoe,Taz
"> Punky - the amazing insane Rving Squirrel
1997 Fleetwood Jamboree 29'
The traveling Zoo!

CA POPPY

Santa Clarita, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whenever you're near a Denny's restaurant, pick up one of those free travel coupon books that they have on a rack in the front. They have motels listed and usually state which places allow pets. We really liked the way the booklet is laid out, along travel routes. When we were driving a car across country with our dog, we'd just take that booklet and call ahead and make reservations a couple of hours before we planned to stop. It worked out perfect. I've seen those booklets at other places, too, like some McDonald's, but they are predictably at Denny's. The coupons were often a better deal than AARP or AAA discounts, too. Since Denny's are fairly common at freeway exits, it is easy to pick up another one when you come to the next state.

Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

jayven

Vermillion, SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motel 6 will let you have 1 dog i don't know if they won't let you have 2 or maybe charge for a 2nd one but i know for a fact they let you have 1 at no charge. we traveled all over the country with a minature snauser and always stayed at motel-6 because we knew they took a dog. never had a problem

wife and 1979 Dodge 440 2005 accord 10x8 trailer

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/06 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Petfriendlytravel.com, petswelcome.com there are several. Do a google search for dog friendly travel and you will find plenty.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motel 6 is the stand-by for travelers with pets. The one downside is the shower heads.... horrible, I always bring my own! Technically, they allow "one pet under thirty-five pounds" but I've never had a problem and I've never travelled with less than two dogs, ranging in size between 50 and 75 pounds on different trips.

Well there was that one thing but it wasn't exactly a problem.... that's a thread we should do.. never mind for now....

Red roof is also generally dog friendly, and they usually don't specify a size. They may specify numbers, but I've had good luck calling ahead and talking to the manager. If you convince them that you have a brain and your dogs are housetrained and not vicious, a lot of times they're willing to bend the rules if there are any.

Other places you can research online, I think there's motels.com or stuff like that. If you do a route map on mapquest, and click on the different towns for motels/hotels, you should get to one of those sites and they will often specify pets/no pets, or you can call the specific place to ask.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/06 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try this site.

PETS WELCOME

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Paolo's pack

Ottawa (Ontario)

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/06 04:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used Motel 6 and Best Western recently (with 2 dogs).
All Motel 6 are pet-friendly. Most will accept more than 1 dog.
A lot of Best Western hotels accept pets and they are usually a notch above Motel 6 (both are clean, BW a notch higher on the luxury scale).

Suggest you pass by a Motel 6 and BW closest to home and pick up their directories. They're very handy on the road when Internet is not available.

Spirit of Paolo
1985 Dodge Ram Custom 250 conversion

Greyghost

In Arizona for the Winter

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/06 04:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most Holiday Inns are pet friendly and they don't have additional fees for pets. We've stayed at quite a few with the Bouviers and we've never had a problem. Make sure you tell them up front when you make the reservations.

Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Best source for Dog friendly motels?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.