RV.Net Open Roads Forum: FINAL UPDATE...When to Have our Dog Put Down?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> FINAL UPDATE...When to Have our Dog Put Down?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Hotel California

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/06 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is my first visit to this forum, so I apologize if I'm asking a question which has been covered before.

Rosie is our 16+ year old yellow lab. (Large dogs aren't supposed to live this long, are they?) I'm feeling guilty about thinking about having her put to sleep and would like some opinions.

For the past 14 months or so, she's been having trouble walking. Vet says that she can't feel her hind legs any longer. She has no control of her bowel or bladder. She can no longer get up on her own. We need to lift her up several times a day and carry her up and down stairs to get her outside to go potty. Vision and hearing are both very poor. All the lifting is taking a physical toll on our backs.

She still eats well and doesn't appear to be in any pain and will try to walk for us if we lift her onto her feet, although she falls down fairly often.

You know it's probably not a good sign when your 21 year old daughter (who is still living here at home) no longer wants to have to care for Rosie and clean up the messes if we are away for more than a few hours.

Sorry for rambling...but how do you know when it's time? And how do you avoid the feelings of guilt later?

* This post was edited 09/14/06 10:08am by Hotel California *

Doug & Juanita
2014 Cedar Creek Touring Edition
The Cedar Creek RV Owners Club

RVJohn

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/06 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes 16 years old for a Lab is a good run.Shes not in any pain but the pain shes causing your family has to be considered also.Its never an easy thing to put down your dog,but in this circumstance i believe its best for your Lab and best for your family as well.All od us that have fur babies try to hold on for as long as we can.but sooner or later its just the humane with to do.be thankful yoy had her as long as you have.Thats rare for a pure breed lab.

tow vehicle-2004.5 Dodge 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4-600 Cummins Turbo Diesel-4-speed automatic,48RE,short bed-SRW
Prodigy brake controllar
2001 3280RL Montana
reese 16K slider,roll&lock bed cover
Yahama EF300iSEB
Garmin 7200 GPS
5th Air Borne/sidewinder

Crazy Ray

Monroe,La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/06 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a hard choice only you can make. But consider the quality of life for Rosie. Is she living her life the way you would like to live? Remember the good times and that she has lived a great life. God Bless.

RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

Impkitti

Keyport, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/06 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When she looks in your eyes and says "Boss, it is time for me to go. You have been the best Dad a Dog can have, but I am old and sick and need my rest. Hold me in your arms, so the last thing I see is the love in your eyes, the last thing I hear is your voice. I will wait for you at the Rainbow Bridge, where I will be young and strong again."

Ellen

1 Retired Husband
2 Dogs
2 Cats
1 2008 F350SD Truck
1 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
2 Cars
1 House
Not Enough Time

MrZappo

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/06 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just lost my dog (13 year old) black lab. Two days ago.

She had many of the symptoms your dog has although not quite as bad ...

Ive had dogs pass away naturally and I have had to put down others. I always felt sad but I never felt guilty. They say that the dog will let you know when it is time and that it will be obvious.

I never put a dog down for conveinience (then I would feel guilty) ...

I always consider the "quality of life". She/he may not be in pain physically but I would think that emotionally being unable to move around and always messing the house (which she knows is wrong although she cant help herself) and such must take its toll on these creatures that obviously have emotions.

I have always thought that I was helping them along to a better place.

It is a sad thing to do and very hard (Ive been through a couple times) but, I've always felt at peace with it ...

I have never just "dropped a dog off" to be euthanized. As hard as it was, I have always went into the room and held them and talked to them as they peacefully faded away.

I figured that they are never happier than when sitting with their master and so thats what I did. It was real hard but, I always had the "feeling" that they knew what I was doing ...

All in all, it hurts like heck. It is a hard decision... Best wishes to you and your pup ...

My 2 cents ...

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/06 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it's time to put her to sleep, but there isn't much you can do to avoid the guilt feelings except to remind yourself that you wouldn't want to live that way yourself.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

TURK2500

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/06 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like the quality of life of your Lab has been greatly reduced over the last year, and that you have made every effort to help her through these tough times.

In the past thirty years, I have had to put-down two family pets, both of which lived 15 years and 17 years respectively. Some of the conditions you describe are very similar to what my pets experienced when I had to make the humane decision to let them go.

When the time comes, you may find visiting this site helpful when dealing with the loss of a family pet.

TURK2500

2016 Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L
2018 Jayco 24RBS

snowhawkwoman

Lyons, KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/06 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 15 yr old dachsund - Ziggy - he's totally deaf and almost totally blind - he still sees shadows and can negotiate around the yard and up and down the steps on his own with his mate Zoe. When he can no longer "get up" then I will know it's time.......

"> Snowhawkwoman
"> Big Owl
"> dogs Xena,Phoebe,Spooker,Skippy,Zoe,Taz
"> Punky - the amazing insane Rving Squirrel
1997 Fleetwood Jamboree 29'
The traveling Zoo!

Budster

Nampa, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/06 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug, you've gotten several stories here, but you have to go with your heart, I've heard you tell stories about Rosie at the rallies we attended together, they made me sad as I remembered when my Dreyfus (12 year old Golden Retriever) got cancer and the tumor grew so quickly I was taken by surprise. By the time I got an appt for surgery to remove the tumor the vet told me it was too late as the tumor had so many blood vessels going to his other organs that they could not remove it. Looking into his eyes I know he was telling me it was time. So I sat on the floor with him and the vet gave him a shot, he fell limp and gave a big sigh and I knew it was over. My friend was with me (which helped) and we both cried but knew that Dreyfus was no longer in pain. Here is a link to a web page (click here) that has a memorial to Dreyfus (scroll to the bottom). He will always be with me, we had 12 great years.

ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

needsomefun

Horse Creek, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/06 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it's a tough question. When you are keeping them alive for your own benefit and their quality of life has deteriorated to miserable and hopeless well then it's time.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> FINAL UPDATE...When to Have our Dog Put Down?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.