|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Picked up New Outfitter! w/ pictures plus first night

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jcluff

AZ/UT

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdtrotter wrote:

PS I know, we will just camp next to jcluff and plug into his unit. [emoticon] That camper sure looks good on your truck.

Yes! Good Idea. Maybe I should install a meter and sell power to my camping neighbors. I'll have this baby pay for itself. [emoticon]

hikingpandas

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I haven't learned yet how to cut from someone's post with the acknowlegment to who wrote it but here are a few comments:

1. What is a shortbed dress? Diane, when I visited the factory, I asked Bob about this, and he suggested adding it to my camper. His reasons to me -- it would have lights on it so that other drivers could more easily see me from all angles and it would give me more storage. With a 5 ft bed, the camper is going to jut out a foot and a half so I guess that for some drivers, it might be hard to see what I might be doing vis-e-vis turning, braking, etc. I know when I was looking at ordering a Northstar, the manufacturer told me I should get a half wrap-around rear end. I think this is the same vernacular as a shortbed dress. But I'm learning, too, so I may be wrong.

2. Testudo -- I think you're right! I need a different color and pattern of upholstery cover. I have an email into Outfitter asking to change it.

I have some additional questions, too, for you, jcluff, or anyone else with an Outfitter. Your pictures don't show additional mirrors, jcluff, and your mirrors look like the mirrors on my truck. How was it when you were driving back home? Did it feel like you had blind spots and are you going to change your mirror set-up?

Also, what do you Outfitter owners use for bedding on the mattress. I'm thinking of a mattress cover with 2 LLBean camp sleeping bags (good to 40 degrees)zipped together. Ideas?

Happy trails,
Deb

jcluff

AZ/UT

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm using my standard mirrors right now. They work OK. I can see my sides and the rear corners fine, but I can't see really far back behind me. I have to be careful when merging or changing lanes that someone is not comming up fast in the adjacent lane. I can see back in those lanes perhaps 100 ft behind my truck. I'm considering getting some kind of add on towing mirror to increase my visibility.

We bought rv bedsheets and got a couple oversized big down blankets. Pretty much make it like a real bed. I hate using sleeping bags.

hikingpandas wrote:

I have some additional questions, too, for you, jcluff, or anyone else with an Outfitter. Your pictures don't show additional mirrors, jcluff, and your mirrors look like the mirrors on my truck. How was it when you were driving back home? Did it feel like you had blind spots and are you going to change your mirror set-up?
Also, what do you Outfitter owners use for bedding on the mattress. I'm thinking of a mattress cover with 2 LLBean camp sleeping bags (good to 40 degrees)zipped together. Ideas?
Happy trails,
Deb

Quick trip

Cerritos, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed you don't have permanent steps on the camper? Does the camper have it's own bumper?

acudr

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jcluff,

KICK A** Camper. You will love it. Camping when cold. Your wife happy she's warm, etc..... I love that you have all the options. You really thought it out. Have great trips and much fun.

Acudr.
b

Bertram

jcluff

AZ/UT

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I really love the camper. I'm sure it will give me lots of fun and memories. It has really been fun over the last couple years learning so much on this forum and being able to plan my near-perfect camper. Thanks everyone.

I do have some scirssor steps for it. I got them from step up manufacturing. I ordered the double-bar model. I just need to drill and bolt the bracket on. Outfitter installed a plate for me to do this on.

Testudo

Germantown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jcluff wrote:

I don't think an onboard fuel tank is an option. There is really no where for it to go and it probably would require all kinds of saftey precautions. Built in generators cost at least three times more and are not as fuel efficient and are not nearly as quiet. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I have a feeling that 'jimmyfred' might have been talking about liquid propane 'gas'. If so, there was at least one OUTFITTER configured for an ONAN LP gas fired generator so it is possible but would really be overkill and would detract from the light weight of the camper.

If he _was_ talking about gasoline generators, it is possible to get a gravity feed 'extension' tank for the HONDA EU2000i but I think the kit costs about US$100.

Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

jimmyfred

Tx

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Testudo wrote:

jcluff wrote:

I don't think an onboard fuel tank is an option. There is really no where for it to go and it probably would require all kinds of saftey precautions. Built in generators cost at least three times more and are not as fuel efficient and are not nearly as quiet. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I have a feeling that 'jimmyfred' might have been talking about liquid propane 'gas'. If so, there was at least one OUTFITTER configured for an ONAN LP gas fired generator so it is possible but would really be overkill and would detract from the light weight of the camper.

If he _was_ talking about gasoline generators, it is possible to get a gravity feed 'extension' tank for the HONDA EU2000i but I think the kit costs about US$100.

............Yes , I was refer to a gasoline genset , but With all that solar capacity it would be a waste of money . After looking at your pics jcluff of the roof it appears that there is room for one more solar panel so with those three batt's and 3 solar panels a single 2kw honda genset would probably enough power to run the fridge , exclusively and save the propane for the stove and hot water . Thanks for answering my questions guys , jf

* This post was edited 03/29/06 04:16pm by jimmyfred *

2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

Testudo

Germantown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimmyfred wrote:

Yes , I was refer to a gasoline genset , but With all that solar capacity it would be a waste of money.

Somtimes the sun don't shine. It would be kind of hard to run high amperage appliances without a generator. An air conditioner is a good example.

jcluff

AZ/UT

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beatle wrote:

Did you get a chance to spend any time in the camper plugged into 110v AC? If so what was the noise level of the converter at night

Do be honest, I really haven't done extensive testing yet with it "plugged in". I did the very first night just to test out the inverter and charger. It had the batteries charged up and in float mode within 90 minutes. I ended up turning off the charger before we went down for the night. The inverter, when on, does make some noticeable noise, the fan as fas as I can tell. However, it is not loud and would be easily drowned out by regular activity noise levels. The control panel has on off buttons for both the charger and the inverter so it's easy enough to turn them off when not needed. I don't remember hearing the charger at all, but like I said I haven't played with shore power too much yet. My solar pannels seem to be keeping the batteries completely charged. I've had rain and full overcast for two days now. I just went out and check the camper 5 minutes ago and the panels are still giving it a float charge and the battereis are full. I seriously doubt I'll need to normally plug into AC power unless I need to use my oven or the airconditioner. By the way, the solar is silent. [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Picked up New Outfitter! w/ pictures plus first night
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.