|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> CB Radio Antenna

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wb1gso

Auburn, Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/06 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a Wilson 3' "No Ground Plane" Fiberglass antenna - called a "Slide and Tune" - Wilson's number: 305-430 for the kit which includes the antenna, 18' cable and mount. Drill 2 holes for the mount on the side of the cabover (+ a hole for the cable) - position it so the top of the antenna is about 12" above the roofline and the antenna is VERTICAL(important!). Run the cable wherever inside the cabover, etc. The cable CANNOT be shortened. This is a top-loaded antenna that does not need a "ground plane" I-E - metal under the antenna and it will perform very well without catching branches. A spring between the antenna and the mount is a good idea in case you do hit a branch.
The antenna SWR (standing wave ratio) stlll needs to be adjusted with a meter for best performance but the nice thing about this setup is that it can be adjusted from INSIDE the cab. Any radio shop can do that or practically any radio "Ham" (like me!) will have a meter.
Google on "Wilson Antennas" for all info and dealers.

fisher60

Plant City, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/06 04:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2001 Dutchman Express 28A. I had mine installed by a local CB Shop. They ordered a bracket that screwed to the front fender right at the hood, up close to the windshield. Then they found and installed a very stiff antenna that would not flex and hit the cab-over. The radio is mounted to the drivers side of the engine cover and wired directly to the fuse panel. Coax cable is less then 10' long. Reception is excellent. The whole rig, including install was under $200. Took the guy an hour. Good Luck

'01 Dutchman Express 28A, Borg Chrome Dually Valve Stems, Pacific Dualies Wheel Simulators, '06 Tuscon, 2014 FLHTCUTG
Good Sam Life Member

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> CB Radio Antenna
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.