RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Dogs inside Trailer when towing?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Dogs inside Trailer when towing?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

My advice is to let one of your family members get in the trailer on a hot day with the windows closed up and ask them to stand in the trailer while you drive up around town for a half an hour.

Why is this a fair test? If you want to compare TT to TV make both optimal; or at least as equivalent as possible.

How would you feel after after driving around town for 1/2 hr on a hot day standing in a closed up van?

A better comparison would be laying on the floor of a TV (simulating crated dog) and laying on the floor of a TT both with the windows open (i.e. controlling the temperature).

BTW which states have laws forbidding transportation of animals in trailers?

Mark

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

rockhillmanor wrote:

My advice is to let one of your family members get in the trailer on a hot day with the windows closed up and ask them to stand in the trailer while you drive up around town for a half an hour.

Why is this a fair test? If you want to compare TT to TV make both optimal; or at least as equivalent as possible.

How would you feel after after driving around town for 1/2 hr on a hot day standing in a closed up van?

A better comparison would be laying on the floor of a TV (simulating crated dog) and laying on the floor of a TT both with the windows open (i.e. controlling the temperature).

BTW which states have laws forbidding transportation of animals in trailers?

Mark

I think you're the exception aren't you Mark? I thought you had a TT similar to what they haul the greyhounds around for the race tracks,
and similar to the ones I've seen for the hounds for the hunt? Which are kennel hauler TT's.
These ARE good/safe dog trailers, IMHO totally different than the RV trailers. I don't think many people have seen these, with the individual compartments.

I'm still looking for the list on states, I do know that my friend in Texas got a ticket for hauling her dogs in the TT. Dept of AG is the one who steps in on this if they feel the need to use the law.
But anyone hauling the kennel type TT's are excempt, but I think if they want to get real pickey, you have to have the ag lic to do it.

Basically cops have better things to do than regulate this.
the laws are in place mainly to protect the bad guys, like the one last year that had 40 or 50 dogs cramed in one and half died.
Or if you get in an accident, it gives them the basis for giving you another ticket.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, we haul our dogs crated in our van leaving the TT for us when on site.

What is the difference between a dog in a secured crate in a TT and one in a dog trailer? Make the dog crate an aluminum crate and add good (i.e. thermostatically controlled vents) ventilation to the TT and there is little difference. Both are built on the same frames with the same suspension.

The construction techniques used in motorhomes is the same used in TT. So now what is the difference between crated dogs in the back of a Fun Mover and in the back of a Toy Hauler 5th wheel or TT?

Mark

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/06 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

added to Popular Pet Topics and FAQ's along with Traveling with dog in TT? (thanks Mark, I couldn't find it earlier...)

....RVSnowbird

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW the "Popular Pet Topics and FAQ's" was a great idea!!!

Mark

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, Eureka, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/06 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=BCSnob]...Do you're own research and decide for yourself what works best for you and your dogs.[/quote] [b]Joe (Dog Folks), The preceding sounds like a reasonable statement. My only advice would be that no matter what you end up doing, don't tell us. :E:W

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 9 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/06 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walter,

What are you talking about? I don't make reasonable statements. [emoticon]

Mark

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, Eureka, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/06 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=BCSnob]Walter, What are you talking about? I don't make reasonable statements. :) Mark[/quote] [b]Did I say "reasonable"! :p Oops, sorry! I meant "treasonable"! :o

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/06 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Actually, we haul our dogs crated in our van leaving the TT for us when on site.

What is the difference between a dog in a secured crate in a TT and one in a dog trailer? Make the dog crate an aluminum crate and add good (i.e. thermostatically controlled vents) ventilation to the TT and there is little difference. Both are built on the same frames with the same suspension.

The construction techniques used in motorhomes is the same used in TT. So now what is the difference between crated dogs in the back of a Fun Mover and in the back of a Toy Hauler 5th wheel or TT?
Mark

I agree...I crate....(IMHO the safest way for pets to travel.)
The smallest area a pet has to fly around within in case of an accident or rough roads the safest it is for them. VS being knocked off their feet and flying against a wall, unable to get their footing and being thrown into another wall, or thru a window.
And I might add, all this happening without the TV driver knowing about it.[emoticon]
Which is why I suggest riding in a TT standing up to experience just how rough it 'can' be for the pet.

Most people asking about putting their pet in the TT don't crate, and perhaps don't know the ins and outs of 'safe' crating. So my advice to those is not to leave a pet 'loose' in a trailer.

And BTW, when I started out, my dogs rode loose in my conversion van. and for ME all it took was one serious accident I had and viewing the deadly results a friend of mine went thru with a TV and TT with dogs in it, when it jacknifed and rolled.

This IS what made ME a...."appropriate crate required" when pets are in a vehicle, advocate. [emoticon]

Henceforth my advice is from experience, and is ONLY offered in hopes that others might benefit from it.[emoticon]

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/06 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in total agreement that in a secured crate (or dog box) is the safest place for a pet.

No place is 100% safe. I know a handler who transports her dogs crated in a van. She had an accident one day (when she didn't have her dogs) and rolled the van. The roof of the van crushed the top row crates.

Mark

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Dogs inside Trailer when towing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.