|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Modifying battery tray

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gouldc

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/06 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd like to hear what everyone is doing when the need arises to modify their existing battery tray. I'm adding a second group 31 battery but the exiting angle iron on the hitch is not wide enough to accomidate the second battery. The problem I have is the A frame hitch of the TT is not wide enough for 2 of them.

So, I know that I have to make something I'm just not sure which way to go. Should a person extend the angle iron past the trailer's hitch on either side and sit the batteries end to end or create something that can house the batteries side by side? Other advice on weither to weld the new tray or use U hooks would be appreciated.

03' Lariat F350, 6.0L Short Box *SOLD*
04' Jayco Eagle 28FKS *SOLD*

08' FX4 F350 6.4L Dually Long Box, Black on Black PICTURES
07' Keystone Raptor 3712TS PICTURES
Reese 18k Signature Series Hitch

Jim Cobler

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/06 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every situation is a little different but I made a metal base to just fit into the existing battery tray. On top of this base, I made a new two battery tray which was turned 90 degrees and this gave me enough room for the two batteries.

The original battery set cross ways to the trailer length and the new tray has the batteries parallel to the trailer length which gave me enough room in the A frame.

Good luck, Jim

27' Dutchman TT w/slide, TV 01 Duramax w/Allison w/frame mounted Baldwin 1259 Fuel/water separating filter. Bed fuel tank w/pump continuously filter from 1 end through Baldwin to other end. Dash switch change tanks & show fuel level in either tank.

2Fast4U_Eddie

Syracuse NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/06 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like Jim said each situation is different. With my Rockwood I had the added complication with the molded cover for the propane bottles also covering the batteries. I couldn't go wider because of that. My solution was to drop the existing tray about 3" below the frame and mount battery one there and then build a hinged battery tray about 3" above the frame and mount battery 2 there. A Perko switch is mounted next to battery 2. Battery two has to be removed and the hinged tray flipped up to remove battery one. With the molded cover in place it looks stock.

Fast Eddie

Ram 2500 CC 6.4 Hemi
Cedar Creek Silverback 27LRLS

gouldc

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/06 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like regardless of the route I take, welding is the better option here? I'll have to pre-fab everything then find a shop to weld it up for me.

Thanks for the input guys

CamColo

Pine, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/06 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been the biggest pain in the butt of anything on my trailer. No matter how I worked it, I could only get one Group 31 on the stock angle iron (which sits level with the bottom the the frame behind the propane tanks. I built a 2x8 treated lumber shelf, painted to match the trailer for the battery to sit on (U bolted to the frame). Because of the WD hitch hookups, I could not move the battery shelf forward so it is a tight fit. I have been trying to decide whether or not to mount both batteries on the shelf, or bring one out and hook it up each time. Wihs I had a Monster House team to help me! I do have a battery disconnect (Perko). Since the front of the trailer angles out towards the battery, I was prohibited from building up. Not a solution, just commiserating! Thankfully, I have an old trailer and am not entering a beauty contest!!!

Good luck

gouldc

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/06 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's the problem I have. I was hoping I could simply build up but the front of the trailer does angle out towards the propane tanks killing that as an option. Coupled with the tight squeeze of the propane tank cover and the distribution brackets, it has been tough to come up with a solution I'm happy with.

NCHornet1

Mt. Airy, NC.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/06 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my trailer two batteries fit just fine end to end. The two pieces of angle iron run from one side frame member to the other and then it has two cross braces that run between them to hold everything in place.

2000 Ford F350 4X4 PSD,CC, DRW
4:10's, BTM Muffler, Isspro Gauges,
Coolant Filter,CCV Mod
FTVB , Ford AIS
6.0 Cooler,SCT2 W/DP's 40 tow & 80 econo,Zoodad mod
2005 Keystone Hornet 30BHSS
Reese Dual Cam
Family of 4 saved by Grace!!!
MY TRUCK
OUR TRAILER

LoveTwoCamp

Arcola, Pa

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/06 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[IMG]http://i2.tinypic.com/t4trev.jpg[/IMG] There are campgrounds that we want to visit that do not have electric sites. So I put in 2 batteries, but they would not fit into the normal rack between the frame. I built a new frame to mount on top of the trailer frame. Used scrap aluminum I-beams, u-bolts, some extra wire, and added an off-on switch. Hard to see in the photo, but the new frame is built with two long side to side pieces, and three front to back pieces[one between the batteries] so that the battery boxes are held on all four sides and can't move.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

og
2000 Holiday Rambler AlumiLite 28'
2004 Silverado 2500HD, 4X4, Crew Cab, Duramax/Allison
Reese Dual Cam
Two 6 Volt Batteries with Control Switch
Prodigy Controller

jdcone

Riverside, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/06 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the same as LoveTwoCamp, using steel angle iron, welded to the frame. Took about 5 minutes to cut and weld.

Owners of Bob the Wonder Dog, and a bunch of other useless stuff.
1999 22' Tioga class C

Jack B. Nimble

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/06 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And now for something really different .....

Our TT has a small A frame with limited battery tray space in length, width and height (coach overhangs the A frame). Not enough room for 2 group 31s no matter how I positioned them. I even looked at hanging them on the sides of the A frame like saddle bags but that interferred with the hitch WD mountings.

To solve this problem, I got 2 Lifeline AGM batteries (no ventilation requirements) and put them under the bed. There was plenty of room and I added a wooden fixture (no welding) to hold them secure. Then, since I still had the A frame space available, I put another one of the same kind up there for a total of 3 and 315 amp hours. Works well for us.

-JBN

* This post was edited 04/05/06 05:38pm by Jack B. Nimble *

Ford F350 TV, Hensley Arrow hitch, Nash 19B TT, boat, wife, cat, bunch of other stuff.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Modifying battery tray
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.