|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Lymne Disease

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
KHPBuddy

New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/06 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks heading to New England and NY..Lymne Disease is on the rise around here. My Buddy 1/2 St. B and 1/2 Bull Mastiff has just been diagnosed w/ severe case. On meds and well sleeping lots.. He is 2 and has the most beautiful face and thinks he is a lap dog..Hope the rest of you keep up your vet visits and testing.

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/06 10:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

your right about that, my mother ended up in the hospital because of it for 3 days and was sick for a couple of weeks,we check the pets when they come in every day,last summer was the worst i have ever seen it,take precautions against ticks,we use the lawn insect killer on the lawn every month or two to keep them out of the yard,but the woods are full of them,

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/06 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sleep heals. Good luck with your buddy.

I bet its another boom year for them in a lot of places. In So CA we had no winter and then an incredibly wet spring. That can't be helpful....

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

nikki1979

Greene, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/06 06:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I constantly check Maddison when we get back from walks in the woods but I have never found anything on her. What amazes me is the fact that I have seen two ticks in my lifetime and they have always been when we were traveling. I try to never take Maddison with me if were go to visit my Brother in law. They live near Poughkeepsie and that area is loaded with ticks. There one child and dog have both been exposed to Lymes disease.

2009 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Crew Cab
2009 Springdale
Maddison the fearless GSD

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/06 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ticks seem to be abundant on Vancouver Island this spring too. No Lyme disease, yet, that I know of.

It is difficult for us this year because we live in a chemical-free environment for the benefit of Chaos and hopefully to the detriment of his bone cancer. And we are getting a couple of ticks a day off of him right now! We live in the bush, so not going in the bush is not an option.

In previous years we used Frontline with great success. Not available in Canada so I usually purchased it from Australia (online) as it was cheaper than the USA.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

dylansmom

Sioux Falls, SD (Fulltiming, could be anywhere)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/06 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deer ticks are relatively small, and would be easy to miss on any exam, especially if your pet has long and/or dark hair/fur.

There is a lyme vaccine available. Since we are here in AZ for a bit, and Dylans shots came due, I got his lyme vaccination as well, just like I did when we were at home in Maine. Lyme is something they don't typically vaccinate for in this area, but they did have it available. It was more expensive here, at $27.50, compared to Maine, but is still worth it. It is easier and cheaper to prevent, than to try to cure.

Of course he gets the Frontline stuff as well. [emoticon]

Jackie, Greg, Dylan the dog

2006 Winnebago Adventurer 38T
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (the toad)

PrcaCowboy

Cottage Grove, Wis.

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/06 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KHPBuddy,
About 8 years ago our English Setter all of a sudden stopped eating, acted like he was depressed all of the time and walked like he was walking on a bed of nails. The poor guy ended up being neutered, at the time due to a swollen prostate. After going through many, many tests, they came up with nothing. He was down to 18 lbs, but I couldn't give up on him, he was to young. I had told our vet that I thought it was Lymes Disease. He did the test and of course it didn't show it (which we had been told by other vets it's not accurate). I finally insisted that we treat him for Lymes, within 24 hours of being on the medication my little buddy started to eat, and eat, and eat. We ended up going through 2 treatment sessions, but I Thank God for every day he's with us. I told our vet, next time I have a "Gut Feeling", he should take my advice and listen to me. I would've never thought of it, except that I had a Horse that had it. What people don't know is that besides Deer Ticks carrying Lymes Disease, so does the White Footed Mouse. They figured with our horse, that a mouse urinated on the feed and he contracted it that way. He was the only one in the stable, but down the road there was another horse at a stable that also had it. I will say treating a dog is a lot cheaper than a horse. I really hope your dog gets better, I'm sure he will. My ole Boy now was diagnosed with Cancer last year, but you could never tell, he still runs around and plays a lot - He'll be 15 on May 29th.

DIXIESMAMA

VIRGINIA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/06 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't know there was a vaccine for Lymes Disease. Dixie Dew and I both got a deer tick on the same day last year. We were in our yard. I was doing a big spring clean up in the flower beds. That was the first tick I have seen on Dixie. We spread the granules that kill insects in the yard. We also don't have fleas in the treated area. We have deer in this area and they often come up in my yard--they're right fond of some of my flowers.

I don't know what the symptoms for Lymes are in dogs. Can anyone list them?

DIXIESMAMA

SKIRMISH

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/06 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HUMAN LYME DISEASE SYMPTOMS

SYMPTOM CHECK LIST
This is not meant to be used as a diagnostic scheme, but is provided to streamline the office interview. Note the format- complaints referable to specific organ systems are clustered to better display multisystem involvement.
NAME_______________________________________DATE__________________

RISK PROFILE (PLEASE CHECK)
Tick infested area__ Frequent outdoor activities__ Hiking__ Fishing__ Camping__
Gardening__ Hunting__ Ticks noted on pets__ Other household members with Lyme__

Do you remember being bitten by a tick?.............. No__ Yes__ when________
Do you remember having the "bull's eye rash"? ..No__ Yes__
Any other rash?................................…................... No__ Yes__

Have you had any of the following? CIRCLE ALL YES ANSWERS
1.Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
2.Unexplained weight change- (loss or gain- circle one)
3.Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
4.Unexplained hair loss
5.Swollen glands: list areas_________________________________________
6.Sore throat
7.Testicular pain/pelvic pain
8.Unexplained menstrual irregularity
9.Unexplained milk production; breast pain
10.Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
11.Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
12.Upset stomach or abdominal pain
13.Change in bowel function- (constipation, diarrhea)
14.Chest pain or rib soreness
15.Shortness of breath, cough
16.Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
17.Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
18.Joint pain or swelling: list joints_________________________________________________
19.Stiffness of the joints or back
20.Muscle pain or cramps
21.Twitching of the face or other muscles
22.Headache
23.Neck creaks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
24.Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains, skin hypersensitivity
25.Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
26.Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
27.Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
28.Increased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
29.Lightheadedness, wooziness, unavoidable need to sit or lie down
30.Tremor
31.Confusion, difficulty in thinking
32.Difficulty with concentration, reading
33.Forgetfulness, poor short term memory, poor attention, problem absorbing new information
34.Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
35.Difficulty with speech or writing; word or name block
36.Mood swings, irritability, depression
37.Disturbed sleep- too much, too little, fractionated, early awakening
38.Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

Reprinted with permission from ADVANCED TOPICS IN LYME DISEASE Fourteenth Edition November, 2002 DIAGNOSTIC HINTS AND TREATMENT GUIDELINES FOR LYME AND OTHER TICK BORNE ILLNESSES
JOSEPH J. BURRASCANO JR., M.D. Copyright, November, 2002

For complete Burrascano Guidelines:
http://www.lymenet.org/DrB-GuidelinesNov2002.doc

Rocky2

Ventura, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/06 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Lyme disease vacination is cheap insurance at $25. We prefer using AdvantX rather than Frontline. Helps keep the skeeters at bay.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Lymne Disease
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.