|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Suzie Pooh left us 9/20/2005

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
LeroyR

New Hampshire (Southern)

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/06 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could've sworn I posted about us losing our Suzie Pooh back in September, but when I searched for it to include in the Waiting at the Rainbow thread, it wasn't there. So, pardon me while I repeat myself.

DW put it eloquently in an email to our friends, so I'll just use that.

----------------------------------------------------------

[image]

To all of my friends; some I have known for a long time and some for just a short time. I'm sending this email not to make you sad, but to tell you what took place this week. I apologize in advace that it is so long, but, well...we'll leave it at that.

In the past, we have sent and received emails that contained jokes, petitions, advice, to make announcements, to make plans and sometimes just to chat. Unfortunately, this email comes to you to tell you that my beloved pet "Suzie Pooh" has lost her battle with Cancer. We put her to rest this past Tuesday, September 20, 2005. I send this sad news with a heavy heart.

Some of you have known Suzie all her happy life and some knew her through pictures or just from me bragging about her. But, for my new friends that have not known me for long and friends that I want to remind...Suzie was my Bestest friend and I was hers. I got her in August of 1991. She was 7 weeks old and full of energy as any puppy at 7 weeks old would be. She stole my heart the minute I laid eyes on her. From that day forward she followed me EVERYWHERE! We had a special connection that grew more and more as we got to know each other. She was a very happy doggie; always woke and greeted me with her wagging tail. She was the sweetest dog in the whole world, and not because she was mine, it was because that was just the way my Suzie was. She had a great disposition and warmed anyone's heart that came to my door. She had the roundest black eyes and jet black nose that stood out among her alert, pure white face. Suzie had all the West Highland Terrier traits to possibly be a show dog! But, I chose not to show her because that was not the reason I got her. She was my beautiful “Little Girl” that had more knick names than any other dog I knew. Just to name a few, because I want to and I can: Pooh (used very frequently), Pooh Bear (also used frequently), Boo Boo Bear (when I was sad and needed comfort), Bubba Girl (that was when she was a little chunky), Boopy Bear (that’s when she was just being her cute self), Sooze (a shorten form of Suzie,,,pretty hard to shorten a short name, but we did), Girlfriend (when she hung out by me as I did my girly things, i.e. make-up, hair, etc.), My Sweet Little Girl (that’s how I greeted her when she was a little under the weather, but still smiled at me), My Teddy Bear (just cuz she was) and last but not least, and used much more often in the past 2.5 years “My Little Girl”. There are many more, believe it or not, but this would end up being a book and God knows, I like to write (some of you know and don’t know that about me)…rest assure this is long, but this time with good reason.

Here’s a little Suzie history for some that do not know and some that do. Suzie was a very healthy little girl that hardly ever had to visit the vet for anything except for the usual stuff, until March 2003; when she was diagnosed with Transitional Carcinoma in her bladder, which was discovered when she underwent surgery to have bladder stones removed. I don't want to tell that whole long story in detail, because it was a terrible experience and one that I have put behind me for the most part, but it was a poignant turning-point in Suzie’s life and it goes like this: Suzie almost lost her life after the bladder stone surgery in the hands of a veterinarian that truly did not know how to take care of an animal post op; unbeknownst to me. Only three days after the surgery her health declined tremendously and she was in grave condition. We were given "the choice" and we chose to rush her to Tufts University for emergency care. We were greeted at the ER entrance by one of the top senior surgeons at Tufts where she underwent, yet another surgery to repair her bladder that had burst. We were told she had a 50/50 chance of surviving the surgery. There was no question that Suzie deserved a 2nd chance and she was going to get it no matter what the cost was. Without hesitation, we gave our go ahead to the surgeon and told him to take care of our Little Girl and they did! Suzie made it through surgery and began her recovery in the ICU for 5 days. She did better than anyone would have imagined. But that’s my Sooze, She was a very strong girl. She gained her strength back and was able to live another 2 years and 6 months very happy and content.

She surprised everyone, including the doctors at Tufts and her new Docs at Methuen Veterinary. With the medication that Tufts prescribed for the remainder of her life and the love and affection that her family, friends and doctors gave her, she continued to persevere and outlived everyone’s expectations. That is why we are all so sad that her life has come to an end. We did what a lot of people wouldn’t have done, and that was to do whatever we could to enable her to enjoy her life to its' fullest and not allow her to suffer at the end.

Going forward, Our son is doing well and accepting the reality of it all. We have done a lot of different things to honor Suzie since Tuesday which has definitely helped all of us. Buddy/Barklee is also doing as well as expected. He misses her, but I think he will be fine. He's getting lots of attention. We all have had some time to come to terms with what was inevitable, but it is still very difficult. Suzie will always have a special place in our hearts forever, as she was an extraordinary dog that gave us unconditional love, even when she was sick.

Leroy, Leona, Leroy Jr.
Our Westie(s) - Bark Lee (Buddy) and Wuzzy Bear.
G. Schnauzer/English Pointer mix - Teddy Bear
'06 301BHD F R Sandpiper
'06 Silverado 2500HD LT3 D/A CC SWB
'06 Trailblazer SS

LeroyR

New Hampshire (Southern)

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/06 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because of the "magic" Tuft's Vet did, I sent them an email as well. They always like to know their efforts paid off. -------------------------------------------------------------- Dr. B[.....], You may not remember me, my wife or our dog (Suzie Pooh) but I wanted to send you something my wife wrote up about Suzie - whom we had to finally put to sleep Tuesday of this week. Because of you and the Tufts staff, we were blessed with her presence for 2.5 more years. Perhaps once you read the attachment my wife sent, it will jog your memory. If not, it isn't of significant importance as much as our desire to thank you, once again, for everything you did back in March 2003. Without your hard work, dedication, humanity and caring, we wouldn't have known this additional time with our beloved "family member". There hasn't been a day go by that I have not thought of and been thankful for everything that was done by the staff there, the effort put forward and the care given not only for Suzie, but for all of us. Without you, your associates, the medical knowledge, the medication (Peroxicam) and love for her, this extra time would not have been possible. Because of everything, we had Suzie for a total of 14 years, 2 months and 30 days. We can never express our gratitiude and heartfelt thanks adequately, but know that it is greatly and expressly felt. It is with a heavy heart and sadness that we had to let Suzie go, but she let us know it was time and we did not question her. An ultrasound not long ago (at Methuen Vet) revealed that the cancer had indeed returned to her bladder and spread to other areas. Still, we cared for her, babied her and continued with her until her body could no longer fight the battle. We took her off of the Peroxicam a week or so ago as it seemed that her stomach just couldn't take it anymore. She's probably one of the strongest dogs (constitutionally speaking) that I have ever seen or owned and I'm positive that attributed greatly to the success of her longevity (after everything), but it just wouldn't have been possible, nearly as successful nor as high a quality of life for her had Tufts not been involved. Thank you again for everything you did for us, but especially for Suzie Pooh. Heartfelt warmth and best regards,

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

LeroyR

New Hampshire (Southern)

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/06 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The hardest thing was watching her lay her head down and sleeping for the last time. Holding her somehow made it better, though not easier. The second hardest thing was bringing her home and laying her to rest in her favorite spot where she could watch the chipmunks she use to love to chase (and sometimes catch). We go out to visit her often and have introduced the pups to her. Buddy (our rescue that lived with her for 4 years) won't go too close to her grave. He's defined his own "area" around it. He knows.

To Suzie ....

needsomefun

Horse Creek, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/06 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a beautiful love story, thank you!

This morning I was petting my friend and companion Sam, the black Lab who will turn seven next week, and as he slept I was noticing all the grey that was not there last birthday, and I thought "it's just not fair that their lives are so short"

But then I realized that I've had the opportunity to know and love so many of them, and they are all so different, unique in their own ways.

Catch 22.

leftnoright

SO CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/06 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My condolences on the lost of your best friend.

Linda(poster)
Fred (the innocent husband)
Jordan (Shih-Poo Rescue)
Mitzi (Pom now with Rainbow Division)

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, STL County, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/06 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[b]A fine tribute to a fine and beautiful dog. :)

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 6 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

TTBeachBum

Landlocked!!!!!!!!! :O

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/06 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LeroyR wrote:

The hardest thing was watching her lay her head down and sleeping for the last time. Holding her somehow made it better, though not easier. The second hardest thing was bringing her home and laying her to rest in her favorite spot where she could watch the chipmunks she use to love to chase (and sometimes catch). We go out to visit her often and have introduced the pups to her. Buddy (our rescue that lived with her for 4 years) won't go too close to her grave. He's defined his own "area" around it. He knows.

To Suzie ....

Leroy,

What a beautiful tribute! I agree the last breath and the final journey home is heartbreaking.

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/06 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A beautiful email. You know the dog was really special when you have to go around and make notifications to her "public" and all the people who knew her...

I think what tends to get me with it, is the speed with which it happens. That something so momentous as taking your best friend off to die can be over in less time than it would take to get an oil change, just doesn't seem possible. I mean you know its coming, you dread it for years, there may be weeks beforehand of it coming to that point, but then suddenly its just over. I've always found that rather disorienting.

I usually feel better on the way home, though. Wierd, I know. But I seem to do most of my sobbing beforehand, and by the time its over the storm has passed, and I'm exhausted and dehydrated but through the worst of the crying. Then again, I've never taken one back home to bury. That would be on the tough side, I'm sure of it.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/06 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]

Mark

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (semi-retired), Grant, Lee, & Fern (in training), Hattie the puppy
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog & Wendy the Kangal (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/06 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was one special dog.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Suzie Pooh left us 9/20/2005
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS