|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> leveling my class c

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sgtks84

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/06 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can anyone advise me the correct way to make sure my class c level? And after finding out it is not level how do i level it.

Thx,

Bill

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/06 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

first buy some leveling blocks to keep on board

Then affix a couple of bubble levels inside your MH, and adjust them to level. That way when you get to your site, you can see that the coach is not level and you place the blocks on that side of your MH and drive up on them, until your bubbles are level inside. The blocks connect together to make a small ramp to drive up on.And don't forget that if you need to level the rear, both dually tires should have ramps under them.

[image]___________[image]

IMHO,JMHO, buy the solid ones, NOT the open honeycomb type(lynx levelers) they break apart if used on soft surfaces. And you will end up buying a second set of the solid ones. [emoticon]

Good luck and welcome to the forum.[emoticon]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

CharlesOK

Edmond, OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/06 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's go into this a little more deeply. From Wally world or Camping World, buy a set of cheap small stick-on levels, about$3. Then with a small hand level, and a friend, go to the back of the parking lot of some big store, out of everyones way and drive around until you think that the unit is level to your eye. Step 1 Have your friend place the hand level in the freezing compartment of your Fridge. If it reads very close to level in both left to right and front to back go on to step two. If it is not level in the fridge, drive around until you find a spot where the level reads very close to level in both directions. Step 2. Carefully stick one level to the driver's door and one level to the dashin any convenient space that you can see from your seat. Then as you pull into any spot, you can move around left to right and back and forth and usually find a spot that is pretty close to level without blocks or anything at all. This works 2/3 of the time for me. Most RV's will lean slightly left or right, fore or aft. Mine runs a little low in front and just about level left to right with tanks half full. I have BAL QTG hand-cranked levelers on the front only and if I need a little help with the level, it is usually on the front. Most camp-sites are slightly humped in the middle to help water drain off. The reason to use your fridge as a reference, is to keep the fridge happiest. This will work most of the time and you won't need chocks and blocks and you will have less to do everytime you stop.

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/06 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Level by putting something that can support the weight next to the tires on the low corner and drive up onto it. If the low corner is in back, support both dual tires equally. Getting level may require adjusting more than one corner.

Westronics

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/06 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is more than one "correct" way to level your rig. Here's my equiment and what I do:

1. Bubble level where I can see it while driving.
2. Four scissor 5,000-lb jacks.
3. Two tri-level ramps.
4. "Lego" blocks.

First I try to start out in a level spot by using the bubble level to jockey my position around to the best spot. This is by far the most effective way to begin.

If I cannot be level, I try to be only down in the front as that's the easiest to correct.

If I am in a seriously un-level spot I'll use the tri-level ramps as needed, or use the "Lego Blocks" under the jacks so the jacks can raise the rig higher.

I try not to have the wheels dangling in mid-air as the jacks are not really, truly designed for that. I should have purchased the 7,500-lb. jacks. Live and learn.

That's about it, really. I always try really hard not to have to level side-to-side as the narrow frame makes this hard to do. Front-to-back leveling is easy, though.

2002 Jayco Greyhawk 24SS, Camera, ScanGauge, Inverter, Airtabs, Portabote, SeeLevel II, Tireman valves, Xatnrex Battery Monitor, Aero-flo vent, Trik-L-Start, XPS Rib, Chains, Lil' Stanker, Be kind to septic systems Ford: 1-800-444-3311. RV Tires

museumDuDe

Los Angeles CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/06 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now if we only knew what the tri-level ramps are and where to get them, and what IMHO & JMHO stand for.

Wonderful advice though - both ideas.

museumDuDe

alaskan-rver

Anchorage, AK

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/06 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

museumDuDe wrote:

Now if we only knew what the tri-level ramps are and where to get them, and what IMHO & JMHO stand for.

Tri-level ramps. "Steps" made from lumber stacked flat on each other, with the longest on the bottom. For example, the bottom might be 2 feet long, the next level 16 inches long, and the top 8 inches long. They will be flush at one end.

IMHO-In my humble opinion
JMHO-Just my humble opinion

sgtks84

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/06 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the advise.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/06 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Westronics wrote:

There is more than one "correct" way to level your rig. Here's my equipment and what I do:
1. Bubble level where I can see it while driving.

This one is definitely a good tip.

I finally bought a cheap little square bubble level that I put on the counsel when I drive in.

The square ones give you front-back, side-to-side level info.
This definitely saved me a lot of set up time.

This way you can move the RV around a little bit within the site.

Using the level up front where you can see it, Instead of driving in and then getting out to check the levels inside the middle of the RV.

By using this method, I find a level spot while parking it and half the time I don't even need to level the MH.

Dogs Gone RVing

Colorado ~ In the Mountains!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/06 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great advice on leveling. I will have my husband read all of your input.

One question though, I have seen those leveling bubbles at CW which have 'inch' marks on them. Supposedly they tell you how much you need to level off. Do those type bubble levelers offer any advantage over just the plain type? Are they really accurate in telling you how far off you are one side to another?

Thanks!

Soni ">
Vince
Travelin' Dogs; Baelin and Auggie

New owners of a 2006 Forest River, Forester!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> leveling my class c
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.