RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is TOAD necessary for a 30 ft Class C when sightseeing?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Is TOAD necessary for a 30 ft Class C when sightseeing?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wgander

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/06 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't tow because we seldom stay in one place for more than one night. We've never had a problem finding a parking place - sometime it meant walking a couple of blocks.

2000 Four Winds Five Thousand 28A (1999 Chevy 3500), Master Tow Dolly, 2012 Scion xB TOAD

driveby

Vancouver BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/06 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is our plan - MH is on it's own alot of the time. Next time I switch vehicles it will be one that is 4down towable (Jeep Liberty being the leading contender). For now there are days when it would be nice, but I've stuffed the 29' (official size) but really 31' into Wendy's parking lots, view points and even a few shopping mall parking spots. I'm a bit further away than normal but I've done it. Would I do it in the TOAD if it was there, absolutely, have I ever missed anything due to size? not yet. It just takes practice and some times Giblets to go where you want to go. Learn the limits and use them [emoticon] More than once I've had applause from non RV'ers as they watch me pull into/out of spots. Not my first choice always but then I have no choice at the moment.

As a side not I think sometimes not having a TOAD has forced us to stay in the wilderness longer (we boondock almost always) as opposed to breaking down and heading into "town" to kill time. Meant a more "pure" outdoors experience.

2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Class A
1997 TJ Sahara, hard and soft tops and AC
Held together via Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar and stopped by US Gear Unified Brake system.

CraneMan

Plainfield, Ill, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/06 11:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tend to move on each day and rarely spend a second night in the same place. No toad, it's not worth the trouble for the way we travel.

2003 Sea Breeze LX 8311

jcamp123

Putnum County, New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/06 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just hook up our 1974 VW Super Beetle and go. The only problem we have is that it is so light we forget it is there, that's why we had to put on a back up monitor. No increase in gas milage at all.

Joe and Susan
Tara the toy poodle and Patches the cat
Retired Teamster traveling when I can
2006 Allegro 32 BA
2009 Saturn Vue Red Line
FMCA 50826
-----------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins !!

Jaybird

Monterey,CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/06 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the way I look at it, if a toad is needed at a specific spot, rather than tow, easier to rent a car.

32' Fleetwood Southwind,
Chevrolet HHR with Stowmaster
"Wrong side of the fence for the rest of the State of California"

tlconkle

wichita ks

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/06 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would depend on how far from your mh that the sightseeing trip might be!

prchoudh

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/06 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not want to sightsee with a 30' MH. Not to mention the work required to hook and unhook the thing each time you want to pull it out.

Most RVs with slides can only tow 3500 pounds or less. I was amazed that the Winnebago 31' with one or even 2 slides can tow 5000 lbs. That is pretty darn good and also a rarity. If you wanted to go a Class A route or a Super C, you could probably tow more.

The Dodge Grand Caravan that I had weighed in at about 4500 pounds so, that might be something to consider. The other idea might be to get a couple of scooters and/or golf cart to cruise around in. Then again, I think you might be happier with a TOAD so, scratch that idea.

Before we hooked the PT Cruiser behind the MH, my wife either followed behind the MH or we rented a car once we got there.

2006 Fleetwood Tioga 31M(Bilsteins,Safe-T Plus,BANKS,K&N filter,Hellwig Sway Bars,Blue Ox Aventa,US GEAR Unified Tow Brake)
2006 Chevrolet HHR
2006 PT Cruiser Turbo
1 Child & 3 dogs(2 Border Collies and 1 Cocker Spaniel)

TippleUnduly

Cranbury, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/06 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Driveby..... I've never towed and have motorhomed for 34+ years in 49 states. In some ways it is more adventurous to make your way without a toad. Been to Alaska twice and recommend not towing on the long trip there, too. We feel that hitting the road in our coach is setting off on a quite different style of adventure; one that should feel quite different than "normal" life. If it feels like "home", you are somehow cheated. Making things a bit too easy by having a toad available undermines the unique quality of the experience. Can never understand why some folks cringe at the thought of spending just a few minutes unhooking! It is just not that involved a process. We also really appreciate having our "stuff" with us at all times, rather than driving a toad and giving up conveniences of a coach-owner, such as the fridge and a handy john. It all boils down to your camping style.
Bill

Bill K

Jaybird

Monterey,CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/06 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not want to sightsee with a 30' MH. Not to mention the work required to hook and unhook the thing each time you want to pull it out.

What am I missing?

Maybe I have it down to a science, but:
1) disconnect one water hose
2) turn off LPG
3) un hook drain hose
4) put " stuff away"

20 minutes tops,...............

kendall69

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/06 12:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not want to sightsee with a 30' MH wrote:

I agree, I've done it without, and I've done it with - you see soo much more with a toad. And, I don't know of any rental agencies in the national parks. and, where the roads in the back country are so small I wouldn't think of doing it in the coach.

Take Yosemite for example, with my toad I was able to quickly pull over and find a little nook to pull off and observe, deer, bear, coyote' etc. with the coach I would only have to move on as I wouldn't be able to pull off in that same little nook. And those times when I could observe of photograph the animals made the trip worth it.

Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Is TOAD necessary for a 30 ft Class C when sightseeing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.