|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck campers, Pets and how we accommodate them

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/06 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There were several pets at the Mid-Atlantic rally and I was wondering how others make room for their pets?

Here's ours

In the camper we make the dinette in a bed, lay out a blanket, place Spots bed near ours and add a 6' long 6" round pillow along the walls.

[image]

In the truck we have built a deck out of milk crates with a piece of 3/4" plywood and a sheet covering the wood to protect the leather from rubbing. Then a 2" foam in a pillow cover, his other bed on top of that and a 3' long X 6" round pillow.

[image]

Yes, he was actually sleeping with his head up like that.

[image]

[image]

GizmosMom

NE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/06 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awwwwwwwww! You are very kind to your pets!

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat.
Smudge, (in photo) a Shih Tzu/Yorkie Mix and Gizmo is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

vanbikehorse

Green Lane, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/06 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't say we are that kind, but our Corgi travels in his crate in about the same location (right half of rear seat). He sleeps on a pet bed in the carpeted cubby that runs along the right side of our queen size bed. We carry a exercise pen (8 pc x 24" x 24")and he has more toys than I do (but mine are more expensive!).

2005 Chevy 2500HD SB X-CAB,4X4,G-80,D/A,ALCOA Wls,265/75R16E, Air Lift Sure Set, SuperSprings, RS9000x, Curt 14108.
2003 Alpenlite Laramie w/X CAB & Polar Cub A/C, Happijac FM, EU-2000.
2000 Brenderup Baron TC Horse Tailer
1996 Arab Endurance Race Horse

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/06 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The picture of the dog in the back seat, you aren't doing him any favor being that high up. Dogs become projectiles in a crash or panic stop. Being down on the seat gives him a better chance of survival. A un restained pet also has the potental of harming you as he/she flies foreward. The best thing to do is put a harness on and hook into the seat belts. I have done that, after a friend lost his dog in a collision. There are some nice wide belted rigs made for just that use.

Not trying to PO you, I can see you love your dog as much as I do mine.

* This post was edited 04/25/06 07:23pm by Raften *

'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

DakotaCamper

North Central Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/06 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our dog is so tiny (a Pomeranian), we don't have to do anything special in the TC. We are seriously considering having her ride in the crate in the back seat on our next trip. Last time out she was too whiny for me and I'm hoping this will calm her down.

Sally

2006 Ford F-550
2006 Lance 1191 Truck Camper
Torklift Tiedowns, FastGuns, SuperHitch, FastGun Wobble Stoppers, Lock and Load Cargo Carrier
2008 Surveyor 260BH Fifth Wheel
Torklift GlowStep Revolution, B&W Companion Hitch

leighc

NH Upper Valley

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/06 03:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Bruce:

Differences: our camper is smaller, dog younger (Spot is 10, Eli is 3).
Similarites: same extended Ford cab.

Driving: we have a salesman's case behind the passenger seat to expand the area where he rides. The case has all our maps and books in it.

Camping: dog stays out of the way on the bunk (he doesn't know he can jump a four foot fence, but he knows he can jump four feet to the bunk). He is very happy and relaxed up there.

Sleeping: dog is trained to stay in the one-foot-wide space outboard of the mattress, driver's side.

This dog SHEDS. I have to use an electric leaf blower to get the rig completey free of fuzz. We put tight weave canvas covers on the back bench seat and the bunk when he is up there, and we have a hand-held vacuum cleaner to use when hooked up.

Regards,

llc

'04 Lance 835. '02 F350 Diesel SRW 2WD

ncmech

Wake Forest, NC, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/06 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still trying to find a decent spot for our hamster. Always worried the little bugger will power his exercise ball out the door and down the camper steps...

* This post was edited 04/26/06 07:37am by ncmech *

2005 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 SB Diesel
2007 KZ 35PX2
Former 2000 Northstar Laredo SC

frenchyd

Lake Havasu City, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/06 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a tiny Pomeranian, she rides in the backseat in her crate which is seat belted, she loves it (feels safe). In the camper she sleeps on the carpeted sofa step up.

00 F250 SD PSD, Super Chips, CC SB 4X4, Camper/Trailer pkg, sway bars front/rear, Timbrens, Rancho shocks. Big Foot A/T LT265/75R16E, Rims 16X7 Alum. Torklifts, fastguns, 05 Sun-Lite 865 WS SB, Fiberglass, Ext. Cabover. Titan Remote Jacks, 2128 dry WT.

Berticus

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/06 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I used to have the dogs in the back seat but then came the kids. They were booted to the camper for our drive. Next they used to sleep with us on the bed but yet again the kids booted them to the floor. Camping they are outside most of the time which is where they want to be. The border collie does not want to miss anything even a butterfly flying buy. I wish I could bottle some of that energy for me. New addition to the family on Friday will be another yellow lab which will be 8 weeks old.

Safe and Happy Camping, Robert.

The Setup:
96' Serro Scotty 25'Dodge,4x4,Diesel,Class-C, 86 20' Chris Craft LTD.

travelbuff

Federal Way, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/06 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took our 8 month German Shepherd, Rosie, camping in Mexico with us for three months. The first night she kept wanting to go outside(It was pouring rain) and scratching at the door. We had to block it so she wouldn't destroy the screen. When we went to bed we made her a nice bed on the floor. In the night she joined us up on the top bunk. I sort of liked her up there but she is pretty hairy and takes up a lot of room. Also I could envision her dirty and sandy after being at the beach. So the next day we bought a piece of Plexiglas to cover the bottom screen and a folding crate. She felt more comfortable and safe in the crate and we used it when we occasionally had to leave her during our trip. We bought a dog seat belt before we left home from Champion (Champion Canine Designs) for riding in the truck. It is extremely well made and she was able to ride in the front seat beside us. Camping with Rosie was like camping with a 2 year old. Sometimes it was fun and sometimes it was a challange. A camper is a small space for a large active puppy. But, all in all, having her along was a joy and we were outside most of the time. A walk on the beach is a lot more fun with your doggie friend.

Chris

04 F350 diesel DRW
04 NorthernLite Ten2000RD
160 watt Solar, Honda 2000
1000 watt Zantrex
PDI 9160 Converter
Torklift Tiedowns
Rancho 9000X shocks
13' Valco/9.9hp motor

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck campers, Pets and how we accommodate them
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS