Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Pros & Cons on Forest River

Posted By: Bright Stars on 05/03/06 03:53pm

I've been reading lots of posts lately. Mostly about generators. I have to agree with some people - why not Forest River ?? The way I see it - GM makes Chevy, Olds, Buick, GMAC and Cadillac - I don't think anyone would say that all GM vehicles are of equal quality. Forest River conintues to buy RV companies and currently has 27 different RV Brands. Last time I checked - they were not all being made at the same factory. So, please give more details on the ones you think are bad and why. Would like to hear what ones are good too. Forest River or otherwise. Thanks. I'm researching for a new 5er - small, lightweight, aerodynamic, has more than 36 gal. fresh water, fully enclosed underneath. We have had an Carriage Emerald Carri-lite and a Cedar Creek in the past. Not mid-profile and I don't know if their quality has changed in the past few years or not. Thanks

Posted By: GeeksRUs on 05/03/06 03:57pm

I have a 2003 Cardinal WBLE & todate I'm quite pleased with it. More information can be gained at the Cardinal Owners Website & at the Cardinal Yahoo site.

GeeksRUs
2008 Big Horn 3400RL
2008 Dodge RAM3500, Quad, Cummins, 4x4, Dually, LongBox
RV Home Base @ Coyote Creek Golf & RV Resort, Sundre Alberta

Posted By: BillB800si on 05/03/06 04:10pm

Bright Stars wrote:

I'm researching for a new 5er - small, lightweight, aerodynamic, has more than 36 gal. fresh water, fully enclosed underneath. We have had an Carriage Emerald Carri-lite and a Cedar Creek in the past. Not mid-profile and I don't know if their quality has changed in the past few years or not. Thanks

--------------------

Research?? Well start here:
http://www.rvreviews.com/

then hop over to:
http://www.rvservicereviews.com/

and then take a look at the Jayco Eagle/Jay Flight 5th Wheeler Lines. They are less money than the Designer Series.
Go to:
http://www.jayco.com/html/catalog/class.php?class_id=3&year=

Have fun,

Bill B. (Michigan)

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jaycoownersclub/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jayco/

Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

Posted By: tjrskhogan on 05/03/06 04:15pm

we had a wildcat & liked it -- just wanted more room, now we have a cedar creek silverback -- we love it!

Posted By: mike6256 on 05/03/06 06:00pm

second year with Wildcat, no problems.
I feel it was worth the money/options

2003 Dodge 3500 dually 4wd (Diesel)
6spd w/4.10 rear
2012 Open Range 392BHS

Posted By: forwardho on 05/03/06 07:06pm

We looked at RV`s over eight months, we ended up with a 2003 Cardinal by Forest River, Model # 33-CKT.

Everything still works. We did put new faucets in the kitchen and bathroom, only because we did not like what was there. Happy with our first 5`ver. It has everything we need for years to come.

Do not have any Cons.

* This post was edited 05/04/06 02:17pm by an administrator/moderator *

2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually - AKA Blue Thunder
Quad Cab SLT 5.9L Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
48RE Trans w/Mag-Hytec DD Pan @ Temp Gauge
18K Hitch
50 Gallon Auxillary Fuel Tank
Viper Security System

2003 35' Cardinal Fifth Wheel--AKA Motel 9

forwardho

Posted By: sch911 on 05/03/06 07:12pm

Our CC Silverback has served us very well.....

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Posted By: cooksvillewildcat on 05/03/06 07:24pm

We love our Wildcat - on our second year (took it at a total of 8 times (6 weeks) last year and have not had any major problems.

The Bad:
- Had to hand tighten a couple of the sink drain fittings - they were a little loose from the factory.
- The plastic strain relief for some of the wiring under the slide broke - I replaced it with a metal hinge - no more problems.
- Had some water come in the slideout seal while driving through a tropical storm. Added a second 'garage door bottom seal' to the area and have never had any problems.
- Had to replace the 12V distribution board in the converter - it would intermittantly stop working. Cost me $35 total to get it over the internet - it was cheaper and faster than driving 50 miles each way to the Forest River authorized warranty repair center.

The Good:
- Still looks new!
- AC/Heat work great - I added a digital thermostat. Insulation is very good.
- Entertainment Center is awesome - has DVD, TV Tuner, Dolby Digital 5.1 (even has a subwoofer and 5 speakers correctly placed in living room) - operates on 12VDC. Has bedroom speakers and water resistent outdooor speakers - this was standard ....
- Bunkhouse is great for the kids.
- Tows very easily - I forget it is back there many times.
- Backpack is great - large storage area for bikes, sporting equipment (like a mini garage)
- Hydraulic Landing gear is so fast (this was an option)
- Fit and finish are decent (not perfect, but for $24K very good.)
- Basement storage is carpeted throughout - nicely finished with lights. Lots of storage underneath.
- China toilet is good [emoticon]
- Wired for 4 TVs and Satellite/Cable/Phone - Standard feature.

Mark
'05 Chevy Silverado 3500 D/A CC LB
Open Range RV Owners Forum - all can view
'10 Open Range 399 BHS
Reese 18K Signature Hitch
Prodigy brake controller

Posted By: Camping with Cash on 05/03/06 05:10pm

We bought our first RV back in February.
2004 CC Silverback.
I honestly researched 5er's and TT's for over 2 years.
I kept coming back to Forest River. (Cardinal, CC, CC Silverback, Wildcat, Sandpiper)
Now that I own one, I can see more on how mine was built and the features it offers, like steel drawer guides and 8 foot ceilings. 3 screws in stead of 1 or 2. Owings brand name insulation, enclosed and heated tanks, awning 3rd support beam, 40 inch slide, Black water flush, front electric jacks, on board electric pump and others, you get my point. I am happy and that is what counts.

Happy Camping,

Jim & Rhonda Titus
Cash, The Brindled Boxer
Bruno, The Flashy Fawn Boxer
2004 Cedar Creek Silverback 28LRLFS 5er
2006 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4 CC 6.0 PSD
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
Tuxbury Pond RV Resort Site #96

Posted By: lovethemountains on 05/03/06 05:17pm

Third year with our Wildcat. Like it fine.

Posted By: lovethemountains on 05/03/06 07:39pm

[quote=cooksvillewildcat]- Had some water come in the slideout seal while driving through a tropical storm. Added a second 'garage door bottom seal' to the area and have never had any problems. quote] Had the same problem with our Wildcat first year. Driving through a TORRENTIAL downpour in ND discovered water had come up through slide underneath. Called FR from on the road who directed us to a fairly close by dealer. Problem with seal in slide. Had it fixed pronto and have never had another problem.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Posted By: cooksvillewildcat on 05/03/06 07:53pm

lovethemountatins,

I think this is a common problem with many campers with slideouts over the tires. The additional seal cost me $16 and I bolted it into place. I don't exspect to ever see water enter because it would first have to somehow get past my seal, then get through the second seal - I don't think this is possible because the first seal prevents a direct path for water to travel (this is how the leak happened - I was travelling through large puddles and the spray from the tires was directed at the original seal.

Posted By: onewildone on 05/04/06 04:03pm

We love our Wildcat 28RK, this will be our 3rd season with not one single problem or issue.

2007 F-350 CC PSD FX4 Lariat
2005 Wildcat 28RK
2000 Harley Road Glide
1 wife of 28 years
1 son of 30 years
1 daughter of 19 years
1 mini poodle (like one of the kids)

Posted By: cmclarty on 05/04/06 05:29pm

My family is soon to join into the forest river 'family' with the arrival of or sandpiper 315bht. Very excited to go pick up in a weeks time or so. Hope it was built on a wed> not Monday/Friday.

Posted By: sigman on 05/04/06 06:57am

We have had an 05 Cardinal 29WBLE since October 04 and have had no real problems. Small things here and there that happen when you tow a rig down the road and I fix most of them myself. Prior to this rig, we had a Sandpiper 27RKSS which we enjoyed.

2009 Montana 3585SA, 5th Airborne Pin Box.

Posted By: fish70mg on 05/04/06 07:39am

We have a Cardinal 30WB. Very happy. Use it once a month and only minor problems which the dealer took care of with no hassle. Rod (only know his first name) at Forest River is the Cardinal rep and he says call him any time for help, especially if we out on the road and he would set us up with the nearest service center. For other Cardinal owners his number is (574) 206-7609. We felt we got the most for the money out of the Cardinal.
Aerodynamic????? If there is such a realistic term in the trailer industry it would be very low on a priority list. Slides, beds, ie, living space is my concern. Ask the bugs plastered on the front if they found any trailer more aerodynamic than another.

Happy trails!
Steve

Posted By: Georgia Popcorn on 05/04/06 08:25am

We are in our 2nd year with our Cardinal, and no problems. So far we've towed about 12000 miles and looking foreward to this season!

2019---35M THOR Hurricane
2016 Cadillac SRX Toad
Blue Ox

Posted By: viper48 on 05/04/06 08:51am

We have had our 30' Flafstaff Fifth Wheel about a year with no problems to date and are very pleased with it. Plenty of storage and easy to tow. The only problem is that we do not get to use it as often as we would like to. Other than that I have found it to be a very dependable camper. RV's are like anything else that you would buy in that you could get a lemon with any of them.

2012 Forest River Work And Play Model WPT30WR Toy Hauler
2008 Ford F350 XLT Super Duty Crew Cab DRW 6.4 Litre Diesel 4x4

Posted By: lovethemountains on 05/03/06 08:04pm

cooksvillewildcat, thanks for the info. If I have another problem I will explore going the route you took.

Posted By: Bright Stars on 05/03/06 08:53pm

Wow - thanks for all the help. Some super info on those websites you suggested. More to think about. I need to find a CrossRoads Cruiser - the pictures don't make them look all that aerodynamic. hmmmmmmm I think I remember Artic Fox having a big flat front end - people love em - but - I want wind slide not bus front this time. Tundra looks interesting too.

Posted By: PackerBacker on 05/04/06 03:36am

We also happy Wildcat owners. Our 27RL is about to start it's 4th season and it's been great.

Eric
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Equal-i-zer 12K, Honda 2000 Genny
2022 Ford F-150 Sport 4X4

Posted By: BiggieP on 05/04/06 05:19am

I have a `06 Cedar Creek 27RDQS (rear den, quad slides) and LOVE it. CC was my DW`s choice after 6 months of shopping. Price,features,quality of construction,all were on the plus side. Negative?? very few thing that have not been corrected. This is the second CC we have owned.

Posted By: DXprowler on 05/04/06 06:13am

We took delivery of a 29RLBS Wildcat a month ago and are heading out this wknd for the first time. There were 2 issues that should have been caught by the PDI dept. but the Service Manager took care of it immediately. This is our 4th trailer and has the best fit and finish with lots of storage space.

The Flagstaff/Rockwood design seems to be popular at least on the FR Yahoo group. I think you will be hard pressed, with any manufacture, to find fresh water capacity at more than 40 gals in a 30'> light weight 5er. You may want to consider adding another tank yourself or include it in the deal having the dealer install it.

2008 F350 PSD 4x4 XLT S/Cab L/Box
2006 29RLBS Wildcat
Husky 16K w/AirBox, Line-X
Kipor 2000Ti ">

Posted By: Frank {:-{) on 05/03/06 09:32pm

We have a 2005 Wildcat 29 RLBS now. Had a 2004 Wildcat 27 RL. Very happy with both. We like the Wildcat line which is made by Forest River which is owned by:

Warren Buffett's company
Following information from the www. 5thwheelforums.com by " 5thwheeladmin "
Press release

{:-{)
2004 Ford F-350 6.0 PS, 4x4, Supercab, Short Bed
2005 Wildcat 29RLBS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K Quik Slide TrailAir King Pin
In Southeastern Virginia

Posted By: Buddy 1 on 05/03/06 11:16pm

We have 29rkle and have not had any serious problems with it. ordered it in 2004 and really love it been to florida and pigeon forge tn. plus used on weekends around central Indiana.

2003 chevy cc sb 6.0 4:10 and 2004 cardinal 29ft rkle. wife teenage son and granddaughter who thinks she belongs in 5ver every time it leaves driveway.

Posted By: nnielsen on 05/04/06 09:04am

I had a 2002 Cardinal 33TS that we traded on our current 2005 35' HR Alumascape. The Cardinal was agreat trailer; however, the suspension was undersized as were the tires and wheels. I also think we warped the frame. I found two large wood screws in the front closet that were pulled out.
The HR Alumascape is much plainer but well designed. It has an over 4,000 lb payload and sports Load Range G tires that I inflate to 100 psi cold.
I'd say you could get a good Cardinal if you opt for the heaver duty suspension.

Nyles & Carol Nielsen
2010 Aliner Classic towed by really weak 100,000 mile Nissan Frontier 4-cyl.

Posted By: kycampingman on 05/04/06 09:57am

I own a wildcat 27wbbh. NO probles like it just fine. It has all the play pretties such as 2 flat screen tv's,vacuum bonded sides,water purifier,black tank rinse. I even have hydrolic slide and landing gear. Not bad for only 24K. The con is the light pin weight of 1080lbs gives a bit of a bumpy ride at times.

Print  |  Close