|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lone of camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Zeppi-Popette

Dayton, OH

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/06 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think I would let a friend or even a relative borrow my fifth wheel and truck. There are alot of reasons. Sometimes people who don't know about the work involved towing and setting up a fifth wheel get in over their heads and can accidently tear things up. Those that do know what is involved have usually had one kind or another of camper of their own and should know better then to ask to borrow something so personal and valuable as a fifth wheel or camper. I would instead offer to let them come with me and my family on a trip sometime and set a convenient date for all of us. If they really need a camper or fifth wheel then for a particular date then I would suggest they rent one. A camper is a very personal item and those who have experience with them should already know that.

akline

windsor, south carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/06 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would loan it under special circumstances. My sister in law lost their home and possessions in katrina and we loaned them our trailer for a few months. It was hard on the trailer but I don't regret doing it at all. However having said that, I don't know if I would be willing to give it to a friend who wanted to use it to go camping unless I knew them very well and they knew a lot about operating a 5th wheel.

auntie_em_auntie_em

DeSoto Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/06 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I talked about this last night and here's our verdict.
We belong to a small camping club and the members have loads of camping and RV experience. They've helped US with technical advice. If one of them needed the fiver and truck for a really good reason we would loan to many of them.
We'd let our grown kids stay in the fiver but we would do the moving and setting up.
Otherwise we wouldn't loan it out. It takes a few YEARS to understand all the nuances involved with setting up these things.

MinnCamper

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/06 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call your insurance agent!!!!!! And give them heart failure... NO WAY.

grey`eagle

N31° 55’ W95° 30’  ----- ESE of One Tree, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/06 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why don't you just loan him your wife or significant other.
If that won't work then find some reason to use the RV, then go out and rent one for him/her/them.

If they tear up the rental unit all you'll have to worry about is paying for the rental unit and you'll still have yours, your wife and/or significant other.

'04 F-250 PSD TV
'04 CF28CK Cruiser

Now enjoying mother earth at ground level and one mile per minute.

Napria

Alpharetta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/06 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's distill all the answers...

Most would not loan it to anyone under any circumstances.
Some would loan their 5er and TV to a select few only.
A few would loan to any friend as friendship is greater than material goods.
And still a few others don't have any interest in the topic, but want to talk about spelling.

After reading ALL of the responses, I'd say it would depend on the situation (*why* does your friend want to borrow it? Does he have a desperate situation? Or does he just want to vacation in your 5er?) And it would also depend on how much you trust your friend and value the friendship.

We had a situation once where DH's sister wanted to borrow our 5er and TV to transport their very ill mother (against doctor's orders) from the hospital she was in in Florida to DH's sister's home in Virginia. It was the only time we were asked. We said no because she had no idea what she was asking.

2014 Montana 3850FL
2005 Ameri-Camp F321QBS (Sold)
2004 Chevy 3500 crew cab long bed one ton with Alison
18K Reese Signature
Prodigy

Biggziff

Upstate, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/06 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

grey`eagle wrote:

Why don't you just loan him your wife or significant other.
If that won't work then find some reason to use the RV, then go out and rent one for him/her/them.

If they tear up the rental unit all you'll have to worry about is paying for the rental unit and you'll still have yours, your wife and/or significant other.

I can't find any comparison between my wife and our camper...I hope you can't either.

Me and my 3 girls
2013 Cougar 293SAB
2011 F350 CC SWB 6.7

snowidow

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/06 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After debate, it was decided we would loan it to a select few people and ONLY if we towed it to and from where ever it was they were going and did the set up and load up ourselves. Luckily no one has ever asked us, although BIL sold his about a month ago, and if anyone will ask now, it would be him. He would be ok, but his 2 children are wild, so we would need to get a cleaning/breakage deposit!

07 Chevy 2500HD D/A LBZ CC/LB 4x4 - Superchipped
05 Cardinal 30TS - Twin EU2000I Hondas
04 Yamaha Grizzly 660 - 04 Yahama Breeze 125
05 Yamaha YZ450 - 08 Yamaha Rhino 700 FI 4x4 Sport
2 Blond Girls (Labs)
His: 88 Hers: 24
Our Camping Fun Pix

james ryan

geismar la.

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/06 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have one friend that could borrow anything that i own. if for some reason his 5er and tv was out of commision

2003 gmc 3500 dually 2004 prowler regal

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lone of camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS