Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Laws re LP use while driving RV?

Posted By: dmeyn on 05/15/06 05:21pm

I need verified info about laws concerning traveling with an RV with propane tank valves opened, and/or with propane appliances operating. I read on one of these RV forums (forgot where) that Calif. vehicle code prohibits running with any propane appliance turned on, or with the propane tank valve open (not clear which it was). I searched the Calif vehicle code online, couldn't find anything about it. Neither was there any regulation about turning off propane appliances while refueling at gasoline stations. Only kind of general things, to make sure everything was properly maintained, etc. Can anyone provide an actual extract from any federal, state or local vehicle code prohibiting running an RV with LP tank valves opened, or with LP appliances operating (fridge, heater, water heater, etc.)? I'm not interested in what somebody remembered, or heard from a friend or a friend's 3rd cousin, etc.
I'll be traveling to Calif next month, so it's of interest to me. I'm not worried about the perceived danger, so PLEASE, I beg you on bended knee, don''t start with more horror stories about some incident you heard about somewhere, or your opinions on the subject. That's all been discussed to death elsewhere in this forum. Thanks for any factual legal info.

Dale Meyn
2006 Toyota Sienna
WD hitch 5500/550 lbs.
SensaBrake controller
Chalet Alpine w/bunk & front storage 3000 lbs. GVWR

Posted By: mike4947 on 05/15/06 05:27pm

So far the only regs that have been posted in multiple discussions over several years apply to commercial vehicles.
As far as prohibiting propane there are cases such as the Baltimore tunnel and the Big Dig in Boston that prohibit any propane. Others require you shut off any valves.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

Posted By: Spindeepster on 05/15/06 07:01pm

".......more horror stories about some incident you heard about somewhere, or your opinions on the subject. That's all been discussed to death elsewhere in this forum. Thanks for any factual legal info."

I have been watching this forum for YEARS waiting for just one digital image of the carnage and have yet to see it.

"I didn't plan on getting old, it just happened, and it will happen to you too, if you're lucky".
---Andy Rooney

Posted By: skipnchar on 05/15/06 07:14pm

Logic would indicate that if they have signe stating that porpane must be turned off when entering tunnels etc. it MUST not be illegal to have them on when NOT entering tunnels etc. Otherwise it would just be redundant. Like "the speed limit is 65 MPH" but around the bend "it's REALLY 65 MPH".

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: soren on 05/15/06 07:28pm

Dale, you are a wise man. As you know this topic generates more BS and hysteria than most. The bottom line is that there are a few tunnels that outright ban propane transportation, and that's it. There have been many claims over the years that it is illegal based on state or federal law, but when pressed, nobody is able to back up their claim. I can assure you that if anybody was ever cited in CA. for an open valve on an LP tank, there are a few members here that would of jumped on that info. like a pack of starving Coyotes. Like the Newyawkas like to say...."furgetaboutit", it's a non-issue.

Posted By: bryanl on 05/16/06 10:46am

RV propane use is open flame. This is a different matter than propane internal combustion engines.

I do not know of law or regulation but the concern is real and there are "digital pictures" of rigs that have caught fire in gas stations that I have seen in news stories.

The risk is somewhere on the order of the risk of stopping for gas just after a long downhill run when the wheel and brake and exhaust parts are very hot.

Bryan

Posted By: Uxorious on 05/16/06 10:59am

While not exactly on the road, here in Washington, you will need to shut off the propane when on the ferries. (They are part of the Hwy. system in this state.[emoticon])

Posted By: Oldfordman on 05/16/06 11:19am

The making of Urban Legends! No facts required, just lots of people citing their view of the "Law".

Life is full of choices. I choose to have fun!">

Posted By: soren on 05/15/06 07:35pm

skipnchar wrote:

Logic would indicate that if they have signe stating that porpane must be turned off when entering tunnels etc. it MUST not be illegal to have them on when NOT entering tunnels etc. Otherwise it would just be redundant. Like "the speed limit is 65 MPH" but around the bend "it's REALLY 65 MPH".
Skip, I could be reading this wrong, but..... Are you attempting to use logic to explain decisions made by such learned bodies as the Federal and state DOTs? Stop, that's silly. And another thing? Is ther any chance you are follicly challenged up top? Your screen name get changed to "skinhead" on spell check! Coincidence, maybe maybe not.......[emoticon]

Posted By: Deen on 05/15/06 07:41pm

RV propane systems are designed, manufactured and certified to be used while moving. Only a few tunnels have prohibited propane (it pools in low places) and they're back east. I hve not seen any prohibitions here on the west coast on any bridge tunnel or anywhere else for that matter.

Posted By: Argosy24 on 05/15/06 07:47pm

I hope you weren't serious about this

Neither was there any regulation about turning off propane appliances while refueling at gasoline stations.

I have seen signs "No Open Flames, Turn Off Vehicle While Refueling". Sometimes there is a regulation number, I think it is from the fire marshall. Sorry if that sounds like a third hand account.

Posted By: TXiceman on 05/15/06 07:58pm

I call BS on this one. Some tunnels require propane to be off and common sense says to shut down the frig when fueling as well as the vehicle.

But I often will not shut down my diesel when refueling as I just came off the road and have to let the turbo cool a bit.

One question is how are propane powered vehicels supposed to operate in CA if they can't open the valve to the tank. Also, some diesel powered motorhomes have propane powered generators. They run them wwhen on the road to operate the A/C.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Posted By: Fred_n_Jo on 05/15/06 08:00pm

To the best of my knowledge the only exclusions are the Baltimore Harbor tunnels and the downtown Boston "Big Dig" tunnel which are "NO LP tanks" allowed period.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel requires you to turn off the tank valves and this is verified at a pull off spot. This verification of tank closure is not practical in the urban multi-lane environment of Balt. and Boston so therefore the exclusion.

2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

Posted By: tgoldric on 05/16/06 08:47am

I live south of Boston and have towed my pop-up through the "Big Pig" tunnel several times as well as taking propane on scout camping trips through the tunnel. According to Massachusettts State Police, COMMERCIAL VEHICLES are prohibited from transporting any flammible gasses through the tunnel, but campers etc. are ok. I know that this posting is about California, but because the camping season has arrived here on the east coast many campers will need to know this info.

Thinks he's the Boss '55
"SEABEES CAN DO"
Is the Boss '59
The Little Man '94
Mia the Black Lab
Brownie - the "Heinz 57"
2003 Rockwood 1940 LTD
2002 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Crew Cab

Posted By: D & M on 05/16/06 08:57am

The lower level of the George Wasington Bridge in NYC doesn't allow propane.

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Print  |  Close