|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> RAINBOW BRIDGE/CAR SICK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
damon375

nw florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/06 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found it very difficult to read the Rainbow Bridge thread, in fact I could not finish the thread. Our Springer passed 1 month after we bought our MH, she was 15 and would not have really enjoyed life on the road and we would have needed to help her up and down the steps, but she would have gone; happy just to be with us. We miss her terribly.
It took almost a year before we could even think of getting another dog, but a house is not a home without 4 legged creatures in it. So we now have a 3 month puppy.... Mon was a Beagle and Dad was a ????????? I’m pretty sure the ?????? was a black Poodle, but anyway, here is the reason for my thread….. Gus gets car sick every time we go anywhere…..how on earth can I correct this situation. Please let me know if any of you guys ever had this problem and how you fixed it.

Thanks in advance

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, a little more information would be helpful. This is discussed I think you'll find on the FAQ thread, but I'm sure we're all happy to discuss your situation individually.

Does Gus seem nervous, excited, or scared when he goes in the car? Does he lie down or look out the window? How long before he gets sick? What does he do when sick? When does he generally eat in relation to car trips? Some dogs have more problems on a full stomach, some on an empty one. Where have you taken him? Does he just go to the vet or on fun trips, too? Have you talked to the vet and what does he/she recommend?

There are a few approaches you can take. If its nerves, you would want to create a better association with the car for Gus, and be sure he's tired before he gets in. You can also try some natural remedies such as Rescue Remedy or Content-um. If he likes the car but gets ill, then that's a different story and a couple of other things might help. But it will be easier to sort out if you can identify those things I mentioned above.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

spumoni

california

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My vet gave me Benadryl for our dog that gets carsick.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has the dog rode in the car before you got him? It might be by taking him on short rides he might get use to it.

* This post was edited 05/18/06 05:26am by colliehauler *

snowhawkwoman

Lyons, KS

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost all of my dogs were initially "car sick" - but taking them a lot (just trips to the store, or driving around the back roads) and eventually they all out grew their car sickness (Our Yorkie was the worst! Would puke every time we got in the car, truck, or the RV) - by the time she was a year old though she stopped - she rarely ever gets sick now - maybe once in every 30 times in the car. Oscar - our golden pup on occasion gets sick - but it gets rarer as he ages. Our newest rescue "maggie" has gotten carsick every time I've put her in the car (except this afternoon driving back from mom's - one hour - no puking!!) I honestly believe the more they are exposed to the vehicle the less they become sick. I've never tried the Benadryl route with carsickness (but now give it to my older golden whenever they say a thunderstorm is moving our way - really helps with her anxiety!) Also - you might let the dog ride in the front seat of the car - the back seat seems to produce more "sway" and "motion".

"> Snowhawkwoman
"> Big Owl
"> dogs Xena,Phoebe,Spooker,Skippy,Zoe,Taz
"> Punky - the amazing insane Rving Squirrel
1997 Fleetwood Jamboree 29'
The traveling Zoo!

damon375

nw florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/06 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He has all the classic symptoms, nervous, he beings to salivate a lot (his chin gets wet)....I hold him up to the window so he can see things and let fresh air on his face....still gets sick....the first time he ever road was when I brought him home and only to the vet since....I know that may be part of the problem....I have started what we call his car therapy.. the mh is at the dealer right now for some work, so we sit in the car (not started) with the doors open
(cool breeze blowing through)and I bait him w/his favorite cat treats...I try to keep things relaxed and I praise him a lot....I have seen a little improvement, he will at least try to get into the car (he's short so I still have to help)....I just don't know if any of this will actually count when the car starts moving....

Buzz-ette

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/06 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many, many years ago we had an Irish Setter that got sick if he so much as walked by the car! I called him "My Green Irish Setter". The Vet suggested I feed him in the car. I thought he was joking. I suggested we feed him in HIS car. Unfortunately the dog was stolen before we could work on the problem. It is my bet the thieves weren't so happy if they took him in their automobile.

1980 Dodge Xplorer
Pixie Honeybun (Rat Terrier) and Itsa (kitty)

thewaggonerfamily

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/06 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My parents dogs had the same problem. They got tranquillizers from the vet. But they hated giving them to the dogs. Someone suggested trying ginger capsules from the health food store and it worked!

Scott & Katie
Katherine 23, Christian 21, Johannah 19, Nicholas 14, Genevieve 12, Matthew 8, Andrew 6, Bonus baby Lillian, and Delia the Wonder Dog

Old Rig #1:1983 Fleetwood Prowler
Old Rig #2:1990 Fleetwood Prowler Lynx
New Rig: 1997 30' Skyline Nomad

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, so we're dealing with nerves. What you're doing is good. Start with the car off. Feed him in the car, maybe. Hang out. Make it a fun place. Once he gets pretty comfortable, you move on to having the car on and idling and repeat the process. Once he's reasonably comfortable, then you can do short trips to somewhere fun...the park or pet store, or just down the block and make it a party after and go for a walk, play with another dog he likes, whatever.

Ginger is a good remedy for carsickness, and can be got either in capsules or you can feed gingersnap cookies. You can also try Content-um, available at some pet stores or health food stores, to help him stay calm, and/or Rescue Remedy. Try any of the above before you put him in the car though. That is, don't say "oh we're going to grandma's today, lets see if this works!" Try it the day before and know how it affects him. But really any of the above should be temporary solutions until he builds a better association with the car (this is where I go to have fun vs this is where I go to get sick or go the vet) and gets a little more mature.

Another thing I'd recommend is a good long walk before any rides in the car. This will calm him and burn off energy. What long is to a pup that age will vary, but you want to walk him until he knows he's had a walk. And no, running around the backyard is not the same...you gotta put feet to pavement to get the full effect. A tired dog is a relaxed dog and this is a very good thing when you have one prone to nerves.

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/06 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

per request, this topic has been added to Popular Pet Topics and FAQ's

....RVSnowbird

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> RAINBOW BRIDGE/CAR SICK
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.