|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Another run at loading guides

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ogrer

Norwood On

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/06 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

[image]

2X6" cut and mounted with a 20 degree leadin. The final resting space is only 1/2" wider than the base of the camper.

Next I will add a spot for jacks and crossbraces, used in storage.
My attempt.

And see we do get leaves, during the warm season.
Bob

Bob & Jan

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/06 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice. Have you had a chance to use it? I wonder how well the camper would slide on that to center it. Beddows used the cheap plastic cutting boards to cover his so the camper would slide.

I really like how you made it to fit right into the wheel well. That would help keep them in place. When I put stuff in the wheel wells, I often have to stick a 2x4 in there to level things out. If I used your design (with your permission of course), I could build the filler right into the guide.

-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/06 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What happens if your off a little and it begins to bind, or do you have the camper high enough that it hovers over the guides and you are using the guides to do the final fine adjustments as you lower it? Could you give us a little lesson?
Nice work with the installation.

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/06 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, those look better than mine.[emoticon]

Have a good trip this weekend, wish we were heading out.

Spott

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

ogrer

Norwood On

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/06 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I have used it twice, because I forgot to plug the camper in the first time. Works good.
They are held in place by four corner rubber straps. I cut everything on a table saw. For the wheel wells I used a dado blade and a jig.
I thought about adding a plastic / nylon cover, but for now it just slides in.
I want to carry 4 screw jacks and two leveling beams to support the camper along the sides.
Bob

gsf1000

NH

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/06 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice...very nice.

2005 Ford F-350 4x4 DRW, PSD & 6spd Manual; AirLift and Rancho 9000 (dash mounted controls for both); TorkLift Tie-Downs, FastGuns, and SuperHitch w/48" ext; BedRug
2005 Okanagan 116ULT (lovin' it">)

Not Yet

MN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/06 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice work. With the gel coated tub on the BF have you thought about facing the lumber with some cushioning material i.e. carpet or rubber pad to reduce marring?

Not Yet
'05 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Box 4xDRW 6.0L Turbo Diesel
'04 Bigfoot 25E10.6 Tricked Out Nice
Support Vehicles: 18' Lund w/135 Optimax and Polaris 2-Up Touring Sno-Mo

ogrer

Norwood On

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/06 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

What happens if your off a little and it begins to bind, or do you have the camper high enough that it hovers over the guides

I back in with the camper about 4" above truck bed, centering by eye. When I drop the camper down, the camper centers itself as it lowers down. The rails are cut at 20 degrees top to bottom. The rails are laid 1/2" wider to back to front.

I have only used it a couple of times, each time it finished centered exactly. There is very little extra movement. The unit has not had binding problems.

I may coat the rails with a plastic type cover to prevent marring. Thought about gluing a Teflon/nylon sheet to it. I will unload and load this weekend at least twice. I will watch for issues.

Bob

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/06 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sound like it works pretty good. As my wife and I like to say when working on a project like this, "quit while you're ahead".

RoyC

fremont, CA, \USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/06 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the jacks are still supporting the camper as it is lowered and the guied is forcing the camper to move sideways, I wonder about what kind of stress this puts on the jacks and jack mounts. I am not trying to knock your project - it looks very well done and you say it works well. I have just wonderd about this when reading about these kind of guides before and never got around to asking the question.

2004 GMC 3500 SRW 4X4 Duramax/Allison
2003 Lance 920
Vision 19.5 wheels with Michelin xze 245's

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Another run at loading guides
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS