RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Camping or Rving Pet Dangers...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Camping or Rving Pet Dangers...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
gamersredneckwife

Tx, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/06 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay recently I've learned a thing or two about 'dangers' for our pets related to camping or rving...that I'd never thought of before..until it happened to me or I read about...here's a couple of the top of my head...

1. If you have those 'drain' holes in your rv steps and have a pet...'seal' 'em up...or your beloved could loose a toenail or two [emoticon]

2. Bees....Candie has 'grabbed' one out of the air too...and got bitten on the cheek...looked like she had a 'chaw' of tobacco in her mouth...but I didn't know or realize that like people...pets can die of a reaction...I will now thanks to the forum keep liquid benedryl in the rvs just in case....

3. I read recently in Trailer Life about a poor owner who lost a beloved cat because the cat 'got' trapped when she was moving in the slides...now the 'dogs' are normally in the truck at that point..but that's not to say for some reason I wouldn't at some point need to slide in and not know where my pet was [emoticon]

4. I've learned that you really need to be "SURE" about the choice to give your dog a 'relaxant' to help with travel...it sounds like a God send simple fix but there are risks you need to know about...

Okay that's my start...please anyone from past to present knowledge...chime in...and lets keep our pets happy and safe campers [emoticon]

Summer
2009 36RD5S Cedar Creek
2012 Winnebago Raven 3250 RE
2010 Dodge 3500 CC CTD 4X4
Scottie 1962 Model
Coondog Moonshine - RIP 08.09.12
Wiener Beagle Candie
Wiener Beagle Pebbles
Wiener Sumthin' Wiggles
Chwiene Maddie

Horseplay

NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/06 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't leave your pet tied outside un-attended to be attacked by a loose animal.

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/06 11:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carry paper copy of rabies shot proof in case furchild needs to bite somebody.

Make sure furchild has a way to get home if lost. Mine are "chipped" and also have 800 number on tags, and embrodered on collar, that is manned 24x7 to get babies home. Also carry current picture to show around if necessary.

Make sure you have in wallet and in RV what happens if you and your family are all killed. We list phone number of person who has agreed to rescue our furchildren no matter where they are, so they don't end up in the pound (I have been told that is furchildrens usual fate when no one claims them immediately). In our case our furchildren are also in our will, that is your choice of course.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

gamersredneckwife

Tx, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/06 11:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck&Gail wrote:

Carry paper copy of rabies shot proof in case furchild needs to bite somebody. In our case our furchildren are also in our will, that is your choice of course.

Never thought about carrying shot records...but now that ya mentioned how simply stupid was I not to think of that [emoticon] (shame on me)...

And I guess I've never thought of the pets outliving me...just worried about when 'they'll' leave me....time to rethink that...

Thanks!!!

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/06 11:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water. Strange water/strange minerals can throw your pet's system off all on its own, but also spirochetes/giardia/coccidia and probably a few things I can't even think of can wreak havoc on the your dog's digestive tract and your tent or rv. Those are all found in streams, lakes, puddles and the like.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/06 06:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those who camp in back country areas, keep those dogs on leash. Hawks can attack many small dogs and bigger preditors see larger dogs as a tasty snack. Larger dogs can actually be a threat to the wildlife who live in the area.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/06 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gamersredneckwife wrote:

Okay recently I've learned a thing or two about 'dangers' for our pets related to camping or rving...that I'd never thought of before..until it happened to me or I read about...here's a couple of the top of my head...

1. If you have those 'drain' holes in your rv steps and have a pet...'seal' 'em up...or your beloved could loose a toenail or two [emoticon]

2. Bees....Candie has 'grabbed' one out of the air too...and got bitten on the cheek...looked like she had a 'chaw' of tobacco in her mouth...but I didn't know or realize that like people...pets can die of a reaction...I will now thanks to the forum keep liquid benedryl in the rvs just in case....

3. I read recently in Trailer Life about a poor owner who lost a beloved cat because the cat 'got' trapped when she was moving in the slides...now the 'dogs' are normally in the truck at that point..but that's not to say for some reason I wouldn't at some point need to slide in and not know where my pet was [emoticon]

4. I've learned that you really need to be "SURE" about the choice to give your dog a 'relaxant' to help with travel...it sounds like a God send simple fix but there are risks you need to know about...

Okay that's my start...please anyone from past to present knowledge...chime in...and lets keep our pets happy and safe campers [emoticon]

I once had a dog (~50 lb shep mix) that was allergic to bee stings. Found that out when she very nearly died from one. The vet gave me some Prednizone (sp?) tablets to keep handy. I was to give one of them and 50mg of Benadryl if she was ever stung again. He emphasized that time was critical if that ever happened. Of course I was to then get her to a vet ASAP.

Larry

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/06 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. When checking into a CG ask to see their phone book, look for a vet that has emergency hours and ask CG owner for the directions.

Post this information on your fridge in MH.
Takes a few minutes to do, but it sure beats running around in circles not knowing who to 'call' or where to 'go' when your pet gets injured while camping. Could save your pets life.

2. Buy a box of small key tags, similar to the ones that car dealers have. The ones where you can write on them. Fill in your cell #, CG you are at and 'their' number when you arrive at the CG AND clip it on your dogs collar. Repeat this process at each CG you stay at with your pet.

3. NEVER leave home without having your dog MICRO CHIPPED first.[emoticon]

[image]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

vaughn15

Lakesite, TN (near Chattanooga)

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/06 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently camped with our 2 Chi's; it was the lst time camping for the little one. She ended up with a neck strain or some blamed thing. At first the Vet thought it might be allergies from all the fauna/flora stuff at the CG so we started off with liquid Benadryl, then switched to 1/2 81 mg. aspirin after 3 days per the Vet's advice. She finally came out of it but she woke up every morning squealing strangely like something was hurting. She's fine now. We definitely travel with our meds/shot records, etc. for our animals. Can't be too careful.

Ralph, Jan
Chi Chi & Sandy
2004.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY CC D/A
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL

GizmosMom

NE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/06 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put your "active" dog on his leash before you open the RV door so he doesn't run off

Give your animals bottled water rather than the campground drinking water because it might upset their digestive system.

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Camping or Rving Pet Dangers...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.