|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C vs. Class A

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
mountainman1122

mountain home ID

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/06 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been looking on the Internet at both class c and class a. From what I have seen there isn't that much of a price difference when you are looking at models close to the same length, to exclude the luxury models of course. What I am wondering is which is better a class c or class a. If they are close in price why not just buy the class a. Why did you guys decide to purchase a class c instead of the a.

currently without Travel Trailer(WANTING TO UPGRADE TO CLASS A)
ME
DW
ONE FAST TWO YEAR OLD

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/06 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

more useable room in a class A then a C,I think most are more comfortable driving a class C its more like driving what there used to.a class A can be more intimidating at first because its like a bus and all the room up front and not like a truck like a class C is.i went from a class C to a class A because of the extra room they have.

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

mikew72

So. California

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/06 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We didn't go with an A because of the sleeping situation. We wanted the queen in the back and still have a bed for the kid that didn't need to be made up to sit on the couch or at the table.

The biggest benefit I saw to an A over a C was the water capacity. Biggest benefit of a C over an a was sleeping options.

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/06 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chose C because of cabover bed (2nd bedroom really) w/ queen bed in under 30' to 33' floor plan. Many models to choose for more sleeping quarters for family in a C.

Since we camp at State Parks near by anything past 34' is typically not allowed depending on the Ranger or Kiosk worker on duty.

Not many Class A models offer any kind of second room in a shorter length model. The last thing an active young family wants to do after playing all day is make beds in the evening and/or make beds in the morning after waking up.

Another reason is there are more common chassis parts for C's than A's. Front end collisions w/ a C will not be as devasting w/ a metal chassis as it would w/ an A w/ a fibre glass shell.

Most C's can be serviced anywhere where a garage has a tall enough door, not so easy w/ an A. Care and maintenance would be easier too not drastically but still more simple in a truck chassis.

I think price does make a difference. I got my unit new for under $60K. I doubt I could find an equivalent A class w/ the same accomodations for the same price unless it were used. There are also many C models that are more affordable than equivalent A-Class models.

If length never mattered I would go for an A or Super C (on a commercial or big rig chassis) so I could have more capacity for water, waste water, more batteries and towing capacity for car or toys.

pdoucet

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/06 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ayden wrote:

C
Another reason is there are more common chassis parts for C's than A's. Front end collisions w/ a C will not be as devasting w/ a metal chassis as it would w/ an A w/ a fibre glass shell.

Most C's can be serviced anywhere where a garage has a tall enough door, not so easy w/ an A. Care and maintenance would be easier too not drastically but still more simple in a truck chassis.

I think price does make a difference. I got my unit new for under $60K. I doubt I could find an equivalent A class w/ the same accomodations for the same price unless it were used. There are also many C models that are more affordable than equivalent A-Class models.

Ayden took the words right out of my head!

Pierre

FlashG

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/06 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had both Class C and A. I prefer the A for usable space in the cab area and the view, Storage, Carrying, and tank capacity. More stable in winds and traffic. On the downside DW wouldn't consider driving the A and she did drive the C.

2012 Ford F350 Lariat Diesel Crew 4X4
Monaco Knight 38pst
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Dinghy

DNJ

Central NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/06 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While trying do decide between a C and A I read a lot of threads like this one. One of the most difficult things about this question is wants/likes/expectations. When reading people's responses, think about the following questions that could REALLY influence choice but that are often not dealt with in individual posts:

1) How often will you use the unit? Full timers will have very different needs/wants than folks who will use the rig 20 nights a year.

2) Who will usually be traveling with you? Two adults in their fifties may well like something a family of 5 won't, and visa-versa.

3) What are you coming from? Folks coming from a tent likely won't find setting up a dinette or sleeper sofa that aversive, particularly if the kids can sleep on a sleeping bag.

There is much more, I'm sure. In the end, people's experiences are worth a lot, but open ended questions will likely provide data for which you have no use and may confuse the issue (it did for me for a while).

Good luck in your search. Don't rule out the Class A's until you have given them a fair shake, and pay attention to CCC...

Doug, Molly, Son (15) and Daughter (12 going on 21)

2007 Four Winds Hurricane 33H

Wheel Estate

Emery, S.D.

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/06 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto to ever said a's are intimidating, AT FIRST, the bottom line is the back end is the same width, and that is going through too! first couple of times through thru toll booth was unnerving, but the missing corner you have where the back jumps out is in the road to see when your merging, Yes I use the mirrors, but I like the ability to see without them!!! give me only A's from here!!

Rick & MaryAnn
drive a Phaeton with
SMI brake stopping a Jeep toad

minnie26a

Hartford, CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/06 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the C's, I like the crash/crushproof and additional safety of the cockpit, as well as having more exits with the driver, passenger and coach doors. C's are more family oriented while A's for the most part are more designed for two people. As an example, I had a 2003 A which had seatbelts for only 3 people, whereas my C has seatbelts to accomodate 6. If I were getting a 30 footer or larger, I would prefer to go w/ a Super C or an A, because the CCC's can get too slim in the larger C's. With a C, or any motorhome for that matter, you need to pay attention to your tank capacities and CCC, to make sure it will work with your plans. Check your towing capacities also, if that's important to you; some C's have a 3500 lb limit. The C is easier to drive, especially in our 26 foot length (or less, obviously).

2006 Keystone Outback 21RS
2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Baurer 5.4L
Equal-i-zer hitch
Kipor KGE3000TI generator

kendall69

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/06 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One word maneuverability.

I was coming up a steep twisty road that a class A was stopped and backing out of because it would have been miserable for him to continue and he knew it.

The head on collision thing, never thought about that one, but glad I know it now.

Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C vs. Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.