|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Additional Battery on Roo

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
fdwt994

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/06 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

We had our dealer install a second battery on our Roo 23b. Just discovered that the second battery is not hooked up in any way. It's simply sitting in the box with no wires attached.

My questions are- is there any reason to not hook it up? Does it cause any harm for the battery to just sit there not being used? If we should hook it up, why? I know, I should just take it back to the dealership, but the dealership is about 90 miles away, so I'd prefer to take care of this myself. Besides, I'm thinking this should be a rather easy thing to fix.

I realize these are simple questions, but we're extremely new to all this.

Thanks!

2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

Chuck_S

Chesterfield VA -- that's south of Richmond y'all

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/06 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's what I'd do.

1. Charge the battery that's there now. Charge it overnight.

2. Connect the other battery and charge it over night.

3. Connect the two batteries + to + and - to -. Get some fairly large cables at the autoparts store. You'll not be pulling to many amps but the large cables will help keep the two batteries running as one.

4. To further keep the discharge and charging of the two batteries equal connect the + of one battery to the trailer and the - of the other to the trailer frame.

From this point treat this pair a one large battery.

While you're at it install a battery disconnect switch, otherwise you'll get a substantial discharge from the LP detector and radio.

[image]

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

fdwt994

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/06 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck,

You're just the guy I was hoping would reply.

A couple more questions-

The order in which I connect the battery cables between the two batteries is important, right? Are you saying positive to positive first, then negative to negative? Followed by positive of one battery to the positive lead on the camper? Is the negative to the trailer frame the last step in the process?

Also, what's involved with installing the switch? Does it simply get wired in the positive lead between the batteries and the camper? I checked your webshots page and didn't see a pic of the actual wiring from the batteries to the switch to the camper.

I want to make sure I don't run any risk of sparks / etc. I feel that with the right knowledge this shouldn't be such a big deal.

Thanks again!

Chuck_S

Chesterfield VA -- that's south of Richmond y'all

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/06 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The sequence doesn't matter. + to + and - to - is what you want to end up with Running the + of one battery and the - of the other battery to the trailer equalizes the wire lengths. A very minor point. You've created one big battery. On 12v systems I used standard automobile cables with the ring ends. 2 gage or 4 gage is easy to find. No need for 4/0 or anything drastic. 10 gage will supply all the amps you need, though, but the big cables are much more robust and have a voltgage loss of nil in these lengths.

On a trailer with the battery cut off switch EXTERNAL you should break the ground (-) wire, the white one. This way if anything happens it can't ground to the frame, it's already grounded.

-- Chuck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Additional Battery on Roo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.