|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> FEMALE dogs and Incontinence

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Lisa M

Belle River, Ontario, CANADA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/06 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering how many of you have owned females that have suffered at some point in their life from incontinence? If so, was your female spayed or intact? How old was she when it started? Thanks!

* This post was edited 07/09/06 11:19am by Lisa M *

Lisa and Larry McKay (Lisa always the one posting here-hubby computer illiterate)
2004 Coyote 22CP
2000 GMC Sierra Z71

Linda & the boys

Chesapeake, Va

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/06 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are having the same problem with our dog, but he is a male (fixed). He has gone to the vet twice and had every test. The vet says that it is stress induced, he is high-strung and the traveling is stressing him out so the vet says. We have yet to find a cure, but have started leaving him home and have a friend come over a care for him to see if the stress thing is correct. How old is your pet, ours is 7 years old and the vet says that this type of response is common in older dogs when they are stressed.

Linda & Mike
Travis & Stephen ( 8 & 12)

Lisa M

Belle River, Ontario, CANADA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/06 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Linda & the boys wrote:

We are having the same problem with our dog, but he is a male (fixed). He has gone to the vet twice and had every test. The vet says that it is stress induced, he is high-strung and the traveling is stressing him out so the vet says. We have yet to find a cure, but have started leaving him home and have a friend come over a care for him to see if the stress thing is correct. How old is your pet, ours is 7 years old and the vet says that this type of response is common in older dogs when they are stressed.

Thank you for you input. I do not have a dog with incontinence problems but have been told that spaying females can greatly inrease the risk of this happening. I am just trying to see what people here have experienced. Thanks again and good luck with your dog. [emoticon]

Moose60

Southern Tier, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/06 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No offense intended, but it would have been helpful to have specified a female what in your post. We have not had the probelm with a dog, but did once have a spayed cat who became incontinent as she aged. The vet had a medication that worked for us - can't remember what it was called.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/06 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not us, but MIL's 8 year old spayed boxer started to have issues. She's on a med (sorry, don't know what it is) that seems to have helped a lot.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

needsomefun

Horse Creek, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/06 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadie was spayed, Around age 14 we put her in diapers evenings. She lived to 15-1/2!!

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/06 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My maltese developed incontinence when she was older along with deafness & losing her sight. I don't know her age - she was at least 3-4 or so when she was put in the shelter, my boss owned her for 3-4 years and I had her for 6-7 yrs.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

YnotTurbo

Mechanicsville, MD.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/06 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a spayed female dog and our vet put her on Proin 50. She gets 1 pill twice a day. I give it to her with her breakfast and dinner. This worked, she no longer leaks all over the place. I would highly recommend you asking your vet about it. It is not very expensive so that helps. Our dog on it is about 85 lbs, that is why she is taking 50mg tablets.

Proin Meds

Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/06 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have fostered a couple of female dogs that had some incontinence. One was elderly so after a urinalysis we wrote it off to old age. We helped her control it by taking her out every 45 minutes to an hour.... when her bladder was empty she didn't hardly leak.

Another was a young "Lhasa-poo" that wasn't spayed yet and her owners thought it was a housetraining problem not an incontinence issue... which we quickly learned she was very reliable on her housetraining but she dribbled when asleep. Some people [emoticon] The rescue group's vet spayed her, did another urinalysis, and had a good look at everything while she was under for the spay. Somehow or another the problem actually got better after she was spayed. [emoticon] I don't know how but I know it did, she would sometimes leak just a tiny amount during the night but not always.

Both dogs found lovely forever homes with people who were willing to adopt them, warts and all. [emoticon]

My beloved Gabby lived to be somewhere between 16 and 17 years old and she never was incontinent. About a month before we had to say farewell to her she was heading out the back door to go potty and in her confusion she stopped just short of getting all the way outside and dribbled some. That was due to dementia more than anything.

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

beakybec

Gridley, Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/06 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually have just noticed this weekend that our female Min Pin might be suffering from this. I have noticed several times that she is dripping as she walks across the floor. Going to keep an eye on her to see if it gets worse. She is 12 1/2 and has not been spayed.

1976 Coachmen Deluxe TT with Jayco interior">

May the road be free of potholes,
and the headwinds be not strong.
May the fuel be not on empty,
and the road to camp not long.
-RV Blessing

Da Mudd, Miss Kitty & Raven

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> FEMALE dogs and Incontinence
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.