|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lance Camper Mfg. recommended Sealants

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/06 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I were recently "guests" of the Lance Camper Customer Service and Repair Center in Lancaster, California... courtesy of a Ford Ranger driver in Fulton, Mississippi and his insurance company.

Lance made us "better than new"... a big job, they had our whole roof, whole back, slide out room, and skirt off and then replaced new. We now have a PTO roof instead of aluminum.

Most of us fail to service the seams as we are instructed in our owners manual... or at least we dread even trying.

Jim Allen, the Customer Service Manager and Kit, the shop forman gave me the gift of a short course in how to remove the squeezed out caulking and old sealant. They also explained the correct method and recommended material for cleaning the areas where the "bad" stuff had been removed. Then the hardest part, they demonstrated how to reseal the areas that now looked so good.

The cleaner is Naptha... I bought a quart at Home Depot in the paint department.

The sealants and their use are in the following letter: note that I have crossed out the Parbond for aluminun roofs but it might be what you need... I now have a TPO roof.

The Geocel clear is for around windows, etc... where black windows are on white sides and the white Geocel is for white components on white sides.

[image]

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

mistressofdistress

Obion, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/06 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info, I have a 1995 lance and I need to reseal it. It has never leaked and I want to keep it that way[emoticon]

Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

F350OilBurner

Central MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/06 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, those are the things Jim Allen told me on the phone last year when I called about what to use. Nice guy.

The Geocel can be found in some high end lumber or hardware stores. I've never found it at Home Depot or Lowes. I think you can search dealers on their website and that's how I found a place that carried it.

Sleepy, how did that Ford Ranger land on your roof? [emoticon]

2006 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW
6.0 PSD w/TorqShift 4x4 4.10LSD
Airlift Airbags/SureSet Controller - Timbrens

2007 Lance 1181 - All the Options
Torklift Superhitch/Tiedowns/Fastguns

Gamagoat

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/06 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info also. I will be installing Fantastic Vent, is Geocel white is what I need to seal around the Vent in the roof? You mentioned is for windows.

I called Lance Customer Service to ask this question. Left message and no call back after 24 hours. They must be very busy.

06 Silverado HD2500 DA/CC/SB/LT3
Line X/Timbren/Rancho 9000x/Bodiak Front Hitch/Reese Tow Beast Class V with 24" Stinger
06 Lance 845/Honda EU2000

zag68

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/06 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gamagoat wrote:

Thanks for the info also. I will be installing Fantastic Vent, is Geocel white is what I need to seal around the Vent in the roof? You mentioned is for windows.

I called Lance Customer Service to ask this question. Left message and no call back after 24 hours. They must be very busy.

Dicor Lap Sealant. (self leveling)

It's for EPDM and TPO roof systems.

06 F350 4x
Lance 1181
---> Member of the Fraternal Order of da Weight Police <---
Member # 227

jgaylor

Dewey, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/06 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sleepy wrote:

My wife and I were recently "guests" of the Lance Camper Customer Service and Repair Center in Lancaster, California... courtesy of a Ford Ranger driver in Fulton, Mississippi and his insurance company.

Lance made us "better than new"... a big job, they had our whole roof, whole back, slide out room, and skirt off and then replaced new. We now have a PTO roof instead of aluminum.

Most of us fail to service the seams as we are instructed in our owners manual... or at least we dread even trying.

Jim Allen, the Customer Service Manager and Kit, the shop forman gave me the gift of a short course in how to remove the squeezed out caulking and old sealant. They also explained the correct method and recommended material for cleaning the areas where the "bad" stuff had been removed. Then the hardest part, they demonstrated how to reseal the areas that now looked so good.

The cleaner is Naptha... I bought a quart at Home Depot in the paint department.

The sealants and their use are in the following letter: note that I have crossed out the Parbond for aluminun roofs but it might be what you need... I now have a TPO roof.

The Geocel clear is for around windows, etc... where black windows are on white sides and the white Geocel is for white components on white sides.

[image]

Are you going to share what you learned from Lance gave me the gift of a short course in how to remove the squeezed out caulking and old sealant. They also explained the correct method and recommended material for cleaning the areas where the "bad" stuff had been removed. Then the hardest part, they demonstrated how to reseal the areas that now looked so good.

Retired Boeing Computing Professional 6/99 Renton Washington.

Jerry & Roberta, and Bandit.

2006 Pleasureway Plateau (purchased 11/23/2006) Loaded With All options.

zag68

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/06 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Share the info. pleeeze. :/

I just want to know what they clean off the old caulking with.

cdl2

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/06 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hay sleepy, you sure get around, thought you were just home, & now you are back out west, again. You used NAPTHA to clean off old stuff ?? Did'nt hurt the siding ?? Guess you have fiberglass, mine is aluminum, I'll try small spot. Thanks for the info, keep at it.

zag68

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/06 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my dealer uses Acrysol to clean the area.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/06 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my original post I wrote... Lance told me to use Naptha to clean the seams after removing the bad areas... It works great.

You remove all old sealant and grey caulking that is exposed along the seam, DO NOT use metal tools... if you score (scratch the fiberglas it can make it break and when you gouge the surface water could get into the siding.

Clean the area with the Naptha on a rag. It will take all of the residue off without hurting the resins in the fiberglas.

Then use the recommended sealant from the chart that is at the end of my first post.

Each material was recommended for a specific use... nothing else and no other products were to be substituted.

After about 6 hours I'm getting good at it.

The camper was torqued when the Ford Ranger hit our trucks front headlight and bumper from the drivers side... we were barely moving when he crossed 4 lanes and two stop signs to get to us.... we then rolled over him breaking off his wheels at the axels... he was totaled. His insurance paid.

Our truck is being repaired at this moment.... cosmetic. We continued our trip after he hit us.... stopping in Lancaster for the camper repair then coming home because of a death in the family... we were gone 5 months.

We get trhe truck back next Monday... then, back on the road.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lance Camper Mfg. recommended Sealants
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS