RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Picking a breeder, sorry long.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Picking a breeder, sorry long.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
pchuckie

TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/06 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need some help the DW and I are at a impasse on picking a breeder for a new Yellow Lab.

We spent alot of time looking around the net and found a breeder who looked like they had really nice looking dogs. We emailed them and they replied with a phone number to call and stated that their house and kennel were recently lost to a flood and they are living abroad with limited access to phone and Internet. No problem, found a list on the net about some questions to ask. Started asking some of them and when I got to do you have any pictures of frontal head shots so we could see the shape of the heads of the parents. It's a English Lab, they have block heads like a Rottweiler. They told us a website to go to to see the sire, but due to no house, phone, or Internet that would be next to impossible to see pics of the mother. I'm kinda ok with that, DW is totally ok with it. Next I ask if they can put me in contact with some former customers as references. They get a little upset and state their website an reputation should speak for itself. DW is ok with this I'm not. When I press her that this is gonna cost alot of money for the pet and I wanna make sure the average Joe who buys one of her puppies is satisfied. They tell me that maybe I should go elsewhere. Someone who refuses to give references is either hiding something or actually is that good and doesn't feel the need to explain themselves. In my mind even though you are out of house and home for 1200 bucks I don't think it's to much to ask to get some references for whatever hassle it is. After all at the end of the day this is about money and I'd like to make sure I'm spending my money well. DW thinks I should crawfish back to them and apologize, I say no way. In fact I wanna send them a nasty gram.

Please give me your opinion for or against.

2016 Fleetwood Bounder 36E

jrtgirls

Garner, NC USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/06 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sound like they make be operating a "puppy mill"-- what about contacting a local vet., who might know about some breeders or a rescue group.
Would you consider a rescue dog?
Also Guiding Eyes for the Blind occasionally sell their dogs -- if they wash out of the program.

Good Luck.
Happy Trails.

Happy Trails!!
jrtgirls

skootch

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/06 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are lots of breeders out there. I'd shop until I found one I was completely comfortable with. Do lots of research. Labs are great dogs.

pchuckie

TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/06 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The place is defintely not a puppy mill. We've thought about rescue's but right now a puppie is what we want.

Tried the local vet, several of them in fact. Trouble is English Lab breeders are few and far between. I'm thinking of going back to the breeder that we got our current dog from. Problem is he lives on almost the oppisite side of the country. Not real keen on buying site unseen from even someone I know. Thats what prompted the search a little closer to home, so I can drive.

MusTangFilly

Rockin' and a rollin' in Earthquake country

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/06 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thoughts; find a Lab rescue and adopt from them. I don't think I would want to deal with someone that doesn't want to, or doesn't seem to be on the up and up.

May we all have safe travels.

MusTangFilly

Rockin' and a rollin' in Earthquake country

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/06 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lab rescues have puppies too.

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/06 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went through the official web site for Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. From there we contacted breeders. They really gave us the third degree and one breeder suggest us getting a Lhasa Apso to go along with the dog we already have. I ended up calling the secretary and she referred me to a good breeder that just happened to have puppies. I think it took us six months to go through the process. Charlie ended up being everything a Soft Coated Wheaten should be. If a breeder is any good they should have all kinds of references from the owners of there dogs.

* This post was edited 07/14/06 09:13pm by Happytraveler *

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

RvingAshley

British Columbia,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/06 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you are wanting is a show Lab/English type as oppose to field lab. Maybe go to a local dog show that is where you will find the type of lab you want. People at dog shows are always willing to talk to you about their dogs. Some may be breeders or can help you locate a good breeder.

Ashley 1983
2004 Kia Sorento
1999 Skamper 21A PU
Maverick 2007 Border Terrier
Cyber Golden retriever assistance dog in training

JAguirre

Lakewood, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/06 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good breeders - ethical breeders - breeders that actually care about the betterment of a breed - are really hard to find. Ask questions about puppy contracts, hip dysplasia, are the parents OFAd, what they do with their dogs, general health of the parents and the parents lines, etc. Ask any question you feel like asking. A good breeder will not only answer, but have a whole list for you to answer as well.

Good luck.

PS. I really love the English Labs!! They are stockier and just look, well ... sturdier.

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/06 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were checking breeders years ago before getting our Norwegian Elkhound and our Kuvasz, I was adamant about meeting the breeders and seeing their facilities. The first Norwegian Elkhound breeder we visited was ideal, and only about two hours away. She invited us to stay for the day, visit with "mom", see her kennels, check out her grounds, etc.

The first Kuvasz breeder we visited, a days drive away, we quickly decided she wasn't the breeder for us. She trained dogs for movies, and her facilities were great, but her dogs were very aggressive. The second Kuvasz breeder was two days drive away, and her dogs were great. We spent the day there, meeting "mom" and her other dogs, having lunch, etc.

I knew in both instances we were being checked as closely as we were checking. And that made me feel good. Both offered references. The Elkhound breeder owned both "mom" and "pop" so we got to meet them both. The Kuvasz breeder owned "mom" and had plenty of pictures of "pop". Both were able to provide a complete lineage of their dogs. The Elkhound breeder let us visit every week after the litter was born. We were able to visit the Kuvaszok once, about two weeks after birth, and then I went there to pick our pup from the pups that were remaining.

Would I get a pup from a breeder I hadn't met, or if I hadn't seen the facilities, or been able to meet mom or pop, or visit the puppies? I dunno. I guess all pups need a home, but when dealing with a breeder you expect a level of professionalism and concern.

If I were in your shoes, I'd keep looking. There's a good English lab breeder in our area, but we're likely a little too far away from you!

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Picking a breeder, sorry long.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.