|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC on a flatbed truck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 33  
Next
Sponsored By:
downrivers

CA & Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/06 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim and Sue had a camper on a flatbed truck. Does anyone use a TC on a flatbed truck. If so, what modifications had to be made to do it and how does it handle on the road?

geusterman

Mount Vernon WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/06 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a flatbed. I love the extra room on sides. My flatbed sides fold down for access to camper stuff or removed for side-loading pallets. I would like to build an aluminum camper for my flatbed. I think there is a market for a good expedition camper that is affordable. My factory box is a lightweight joke for serious use so I built the flatbed with tool boxes underneath. Much better. George

geusterman, WA state, 04.5 Dodge, 3500 SRW flatbed, Cummins, 99 BigFoot 9.6 "Wherever we are, we're there!"

downrivers

CA & Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/06 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi George

Do you have photos of your rig?

geusterman

Mount Vernon WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/06 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do but no clue how to put on this page. George

RonSchon

AZ formerly CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/06 11:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year I was considering putting a really nice aluminum flatbed on my truck. While I was doing research, one of the dealers I talked to told me that I'd have to stop at Weigh Stations when traveling on the interstate. I didn't do any further research after hearing that - I assumed he knew - but if that's the case, I'd not want that hassle.

2004 Dodge 2500 4x4 Crew Short Hemi

1995 Four Wheel Camper - Hawk

brain

Cedar Rapids, IA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/06 11:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sounds fishy. Why would a bed choice affect the status of the truck? I'd verify that. Lots of people put homemade flatbeds or 5er hauler beds on their trucks and don't mess with weighing.

JIm

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/06 12:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quoute: "one of the dealers I talked to told me that I'd have to stop at Weigh Stations when traveling on the interstate."

Would that be the same dealer that says it is okay to put 4000# on a 1/2T truck if you equip it with air ride, overload springs and a sway bar? Dealers as a rule do NOT seem to know anything about how to use what they sell.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

18seeds

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/06 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

George, can you email me the pics and i will post them. chris@pocketlounge.com

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo DIESEL

mjgcamper

Nowhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/06 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still have my older 92 flatbed. I wrecked the origonal bed against a tree. Pro tech aluminum flatbeds are the best on the market. My camper fit beautifully. The side tool boxes go all the way the lenght of the bed. They fit neatly under the NL camper. When traveling I had lots of extra storage. I had folks from Canada and Japan more interested in my rig.

Now I have a newer old truck, but will eventually put my flatbed on. The aluminum polishes up nice. Alot lighter too, but, strong.
Pro tech is good company. They do all the work for the fire trucks, ambulances, big rigs, fire rescue and others.

The flatbed is the best, but, it ends up about 2-3 inches higher. My 3/4 ton is built better than a 1 ton when we got it done. It just so happened to have bigger brakes and differentials, front and rear.

Peace and Good will to all,
don't forget country roads,
try travel em' all.

RonSchon

AZ formerly CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/06 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frank - It wasn't a car dealer - it was the flatbed dealer. All he did was sell flatbeds, so I took him for a reliable source. Him telling me that was talking himself out of a sale, so he didn't have anything to gain, but perhaps he was incorrect.

Ron

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 33  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC on a flatbed truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS